Preview AFL 1st Qualifying Final - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually liked the fact Didak was sub last week, his lack of pace is evident now and his ball use is sublime, bring him on when the pace is out of the game, let Krak roam around centre/forward from the start.
Don't want Dids petrol tickets burnt too early.
Need Sidey and Daisy to recapture some real form around goals if we are any chance, surely they are due.

Seriously hoping that Goldy somehow gets up as a late replacement. Outside of that I'd be looking at bringing in a small forward or midfielder, but stocks in that regard are somewhat limited this year. What we wouldn't give to have Luke Ball or Brent Macaffer available for selection.
Goldsack didn't even train, he has reinjured the same ankle that kept him out for a few weeks, it's unfortunate, but he's not that important to us, all he does is apply forward pressure, he hadn't kicked a goal as a forward for a while.

There still could be a late change though, with Sinclair and Elliott (as well as Seedsman) as the emergencies if it is wet leading into the game Paine might come out for a smaller forward option.

i dont understand how gibson and clangermakers can stop the power forwards in the league, they just seem ttoo small.
Gibsons a great defender but how the **** does he go size and size with cloke and hawkins and petrie????

You will find generally that Gibson and "Clangermakers" generally play well when the back half play well together, get either of the one out and they are much more accountable.

With Cloke, Paine, Dawes and the potential for Jolly and Tarrant to go down forward are we trying to stretch hawthorns defence?

A tall forward line will make Gibson more accountable in my opinion and hopefully mean Cloke can get some 1 on 1 contests with the shoe maker.

Would love to see the inside 50 being cloke zone with fasolo getting in to be at his feet when possible.

I think heath shaw as a forward is part of bucks big plan.He is a very underrated player.They won't give him the respect and he will rip them to shreds.Forget dawes,forget pain,the forward to trouble them more than travis cloke may be heath shaw.I do like paine being in though.Good move.I cant help but think what the plan may be.I think its gonna be huge and i can't wait:thumbsu:

The balance of the team is better than either time we have met the Hawks previously this year, the question is will it be enough?

Looking at our side we have the capability to do the job, depends on the nite.

i dont understand how gibson and clangermakers can stop the power forwards in the league, they just seem ttoo small.
Gibsons a great defender but how the **** does he go size and size with cloke and hawkins and petrie????

It's thinking Shoenmakers is still the same spud he was a few years ago. He's becoming a gun back man, the same way the Reid suddenly emerged for us.

The big advantage with bringing Dawes back in is still having two tall targets even when he goes in the ruck. Jolly might even rest down there for a bit and give us 3. Their backline will certainly be stretched for a lot of the night.

The big advantage with bringing Dawes back in is still having two tall targets even when he goes in the ruck. Jolly might even rest down there for a bit and give us 3. Their backline will certainly be stretched for a lot of the night.

The problem with using a tall forward line to stretch the defence is that if that tall forward line can't hold its marks (see the last half of the year for us) then the undersized defenders will have a field day just running the ball away from the likes of Dawes, Paine, Jolly and Cloke.

If we hold our marks, it's brilliant. If not, well, we're gonna struggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha, i like dawes, happy to have him back int he squad. i wanted to be "dawesome" but that was taken and i had no other ideas.

It's actually not too bad. ;)

The problem with using a tall forward line to stretch the defence is that if that tall forward line can't hold its marks (see the last half of the year for us) then the undersized defenders will have a field day just running the ball away from the likes of Dawes, Paine, Jolly and Cloke.

this is where the weather comes into it as well
we were all thinking that we would benefit if it rained because hawthorn wont execute their precision kicking game style as well
but now if it rains it will make the decision to play the 3 talls look very average

this is where the weather comes into it as well
we were all thinking that we would benefit if it rained because hawthorn wont execute their precision kicking game style as well
but now if it rains it will make the decision to play the 3 talls look very average
Just because they have been selected in the 22 doesn't mean they will play have a look at the emergencies, between them they have most options covered - very interesting selection.

Paine and Dawes would struggle to stretch port adelaides defence. First year kid with a tiny engine (medium height) and dawes whos only 193 who cant mark or kick.

No goldsack will be a lose, our forward line would be better with him in instead of one of those 2, he puts on way better pressure and kicks more goals

Maybe so, but I think that is negated quite a bit by their loss of Guerra and Young. If we clamp down on Suckling we should be fine in that area imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back