AFL 2014 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Fremantle - will be even stronger in 2014 finals are a raffle though with the top 4.
2. Hawthorn - Biased but still a strong squad.
3. Sydney - Will always be there abouts while they have that "Cost of being Demetrious love children allowance"
4. Essendon - Essendon and North are the big improvers in 2014.
5. North Melbourne - Will learn to win the close ones
6. Richmond - wanted to put them ninth for comedy reasons.
7. Collingwood - Too many big guns not to make it
8. West Coast - Cushy draw due to low finish last year
9. Geelong - Lost too many good experienced players - however top 8 would not surprise me from a class outfit.
10. Gold Coast - will storm up the ladder, 8th wouldn't surprise me either
11. Adelaide
12. Western Bulldogs
13. Port Adelaide - solid young team but harder draw and won't catch teams napping in 2014
14. Carlton - Thomas to be a miserable failure and the Blues to struggle with injury again.
15. GWS - Expect 6 wins this year
16. Melbourne - Rebuild will be positive in year 1
17. Brisbane - Lost too many fringe players, depth is poor.
18. St Kilda - lost some talent and there best players are past there best, will be upwards from 2016 though.

Comp will be much more even in 2014 - that was hard to pick especially ladder spots 6 to 14.

Brownlow - Fyfe
Coleman - Cloke from Cameron just
Premier - Hawks

Rising Star Hogan

Major contenders:
1. Sydney- Should be strengthened by the addition of Franklin and a better season injury-wise. Think it may be their year.

2. Fremantle- One of the very best. Will be there again at the pointy end of the year barring disaster, with the pain of last year's defeat spurring them on.

In the mix:
3. Essendon- Underrated side who will benefit from having Bomber Thompson at the helm and less of the spotlight on them. 2nd half of the season surely won't be plagued by scandals and injuries to key players again.

4. Hawthorn- Still a very good team with talent on every line, can't envisage a repeat of 2009. Will begin to fall in 2015 though.

5. Collingwood- In transition but won't fall like many are predicting. Still boast a very good lineup that will be bolstered if anything by their success in last year's draft. Hate to say it but good times ahead for the Pies.

6. Geelong- An unknown in 2014 and could go up or even down a couple of spots. May take a season for us to come to grips with losing so much experience and for 1st/2nd/3rd year players to seriously improve.

Fighting for the last few spots in the 8:
7. North Melbourne- Not sure why their list is so highly rated, but will probably play finals nonetheless. Miss out again and Scott is finished.

8. Adelaide- Gaining Betts, Podsiadly, and a fit Walker strengthens their F50 immensely and should see them improve. Could finish higher if things fall their way but fierce competition may keep them down.

9. Richmond- Overrated, every season 2-3 highly rated teams fall significantly short of meeting expectations and my gut feeling is that Richmond will be one of them.

10. Port Adelaide- May find it difficult with a tougher fixture and being the hunted as opposed to the hunter. Wouldn't worry too much though if I were a Port supporter and this were the case, the future still looks pretty bright.

Next rung below:
11. Gold Coast- Another season from playing finals. Will improve again but not to the extent they did in 2013, might take a year of consolidation from GC before being able to prepare for an assault on September.

12. Western Bulldogs- Showed some serious improvement in the 2nd half of last year and many younger players are about to enter their 2nd/3rd seasons. Should climb a couple of spots in 2014 and finals is possible in 2015.

13. Carlton- Will be one of the big disappointments in 2014. Have an average list that is going nowhere fast and the ship has sailed for them as far as winning a flag goes. Time for Mick to make some changes accordingly otherwise the rot may start setting in beyond this year.

14. Brisbane- Not in for the doom and gloom predicted by many but losing 5 decent young players is still going to hurt their depth whether they're best 22 or not. Took a wrong turn by sacking Voss and it will cost them.

15. West Coast- Average squad and poor depth, which was reflected in some of the beltings they received towards the end of last season. May take a season of semi-rebuilding under Simpson for them to begin climbing the ladder again.

Cellar dwellers:
16. GWS- May not climb the ladder just yet but have them down for 5 or so wins. With younger players entering their 2nd/3rd seasons they'll become a competitive side this year and take their first steps towards becoming a good team.

17. Melbourne- Will also win 5 games or thereabouts and become a more competitive unit. There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel but it may take a year for them to gel under Roos before beginning to rise again.

18. St Kilda- In for a year lean on wins as they embark on rebuilding the club, won't see overnight results in the process. Likely to win the spoon.

Last edited:
1) Fremantle - Ross almost guarantees a GF appearance. I reckon he'll get his and Freo's 1st Flag.
2) Sydney - Still very strong although Goodes and O'keefe age and wear and tear bothers me.
3) Geelong - Kardinia advantage, know how to win, lots of good players young and old.
4) Richmond - Big improvers. Some A-Graders, lots of improvers, no losses of older stars.
5) Hawthorn - Is there mission completed? are they satisfied? Buddy big loss
6) North - An A-Gader or 2 short but very hungry and talented.
7) Carlton - Seems about our level. Much depends on near full seasons from Hendo,Waite and Jamo.
8) Port - think they are the real deal. Strong belief.

9) Collingwood - Would have dropped them further but better than those below. Bit of trouble.
10) Gold Coast - Still too early. Badly miss age bracket of failed Bock,Brown,Brennan, Rischa etc
11) Footscray - Still a bit early. Improving the right way. Libba a star.
12) Adelaide - Don't like them. Thin on for talent. Vanilla.
13) W.Coast - In a down patch. Not much good happening for them lately.
14) Brisbane - Seem pretty unprofessional compared to rest. will win a few when in the mood.
15) Essendon - Depleted, turbulent, might win 3 or 4 games.
16) StKilda - Bare bones of a list. 2015 will be even worse still and probably deliver 27th spoon.
17) GWS - should beat Melbourne this year. Still kids.
18) Melbourne- wouldn't have a clue about AFL standard requirements to win games.

Premiers - Freo
Brownlow - Cotchin
Coleman - Hawkins
NormSmith - Fyfe

they all left because they couldn't get a game and used home sickness as an excuse. this is our squad for this year nothing wrong with it

Clarke - Merrett - Adcock
Hanley - Patful - Golby
Aish - Redden - Rich
Staker - Lisle - Mayes
Green - Brown - Zorko
Luey - Moloney - Rockliff

Beams - West - Lester

Taylor

Mcguire - McGuane - McGrath - Paine - Polkinghorne - Bewick - Close - Harwood - Martin - Paparone and the new kids.

I see nothing wrong with depth

McGuane will be in your best 22

Major contenders:
1. Sydney- Should be strengthened by the addition of Franklin and a better season injury-wise. Think it may be their year.

2. Fremantle- One of the very best. Will be there again at the pointy end of the year barring disaster, with the pain of last year's defeat spurring them on.

In the mix:
3. Essendon- Underrated side who will benefit from having Bomber Thompson at the helm and less of the spotlight on them. 2nd half of the season surely won't be plagued by scandals and injuries to key players again.

4. Hawthorn- Still a very good team with talent on every line, can't envisage a repeat of 2009. Will begin to fall in 2015 though.

5. Collingwood- In transition but won't fall like many are predicting. Still boast a very good lineup that will be bolstered if anything by their success in last year's draft. Hate to say it but good times ahead for the Pies.

6. Geelong- An unknown in 2014 and could go up or even down a couple of spots. May take a season for us to come to grips with losing so much experience and for 1st/2nd/3rd year players to seriously improve.

Fighting for the last few spots in the 8:
7. North Melbourne- Not sure why their list is so highly rated, but will probably play finals nonetheless. Miss out again and Scott is finished.

8. Adelaide- Gaining Betts, Podsiadly, and a fit Walker strengthens their F50 immensely and should see them improve. Could finish higher if things fall their way but fierce competition may keep them down.

9. Richmond- Overrated, every season 2-3 highly rated teams fall significantly short of meeting expectations and my gut feeling is that Richmond will be one of them.

10. Port Adelaide- May find it difficult with a tougher fixture and being the hunted as opposed to the hunter. Wouldn't worry too much though if I were a Port supporter and this were the case, the future still looks pretty bright.

Next rung below:
11. Gold Coast- Another season from playing finals. Will improve again but not to the extent they did in 2013, might take a year of consolidation from GC before being able to prepare for an assault on September.

12. Western Bulldogs- Showed some serious improvement in the 2nd half of last year and many younger players are about to enter their 2nd/3rd seasons. Should climb a couple of spots in 2014 and finals is possible in 2015.

13. Carlton- Will be one of the big disappointments in 2014. Have an average list that is going nowhere fast and the ship has sailed for them as far as winning a flag goes. Time for Mick to make some changes accordingly otherwise the rot may start setting in beyond this year.

14. Brisbane- Not in for the doom and gloom predicted by many but losing 5 decent young players is still going to hurt their depth whether they're best 22 or not. Took a wrong turn by sacking Voss and it will cost them.

15. West Coast- Average squad and poor depth, which was reflected in some of the beltings they received towards the end of last season. May take a season of semi-rebuilding under Sumich for them to begin climbing the ladder again.

Cellar dwellers:
16. GWS- May not climb the ladder just yet but have them down for 5 or so wins. With younger players entering their 2nd/3rd seasons they'll become a competitive side this year and take their first steps towards becoming a good team.

17. Melbourne- Will also win 5 games or thereabouts and become a more competitive unit. There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel but it may take a year for them to gel under Roos before beginning to rise again.

18. St Kilda- In for a year lean on wins as they embark on rebuilding the club, won't see overnight results in the process. Likely to win the spoon.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LMDO!

richmond and port no chance lol

There's always a chance. Our game vs Port was very close and would consider it a 50/50 game, maybe 40/60 considering it's an away game.

We also started playing much stronger at home last season so to say "no chance lol" is pretty naive, regardless of our past record against Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15. West Coast- Average squad and poor depth, which was reflected in some of the beltings they received towards the end of last season. May take a season of semi-rebuilding under Sumich for them to begin climbing the ladder again.

Hahaha. We can take your opinion with a grain of salt.

Didn't realise I'd typed Sumich instead of Simpson - can be very easy to get caught up and have a brain fart or two when you're typing out long posts. Thanks for pointing that out. :oops:

Not entirely sure about WC this year, they'll probably finish higher than 15th. Just thought I'd add some variation to my prediction as they are always 1-2 teams who unexpectedly drop off (and others who do the opposite). Have a few question marks over their list and midfield is a bit one-paced.

Have been running through the fixture in the last 30 mins or so determining wins/losses for each team and it threw up some interesting results, particularly in comparison to my earlier prediction (tipped some upsets here and here):

1. Fremantle 17-5
2. Collingwood 17-5
3. Sydney 16-6
4. Hawthorn 15-7
5. Geelong 15-7
6. North Melbourne 14-8
7. Richmond 14-8
8. Gold Coast 12-10
--------------------------
9. Adelaide 12-10
10. Essendon 12-10
11. Port Adelaide 11-11
12. Carlton 10-12
13. West Coast 10-12
14. Western Bulldogs 9-13
15. Brisbane 7-15
16. St Kilda 4-18
17. Melbourne 3-19
18. GWS Giants 1-21

Have been running through the fixture in the last 30 mins or so determining wins/losses for each team and it threw up some interesting results, particularly in comparison to my earlier prediction (tipped some upsets here and here):

1. Fremantle 17-5
2. Collingwood 17-5
3. Sydney 16-6
4. Hawthorn 15-7
5. Geelong 15-7
6. North Melbourne 14-8
7. Richmond 14-8
8. Gold Coast 12-10
--------------------------
9. Adelaide 12-10
10. Essendon 12-10
11. Port Adelaide 11-11
12. Carlton 10-12
13. West Coast 10-12
14. Western Bulldogs 9-13
15. Brisbane 7-15
16. St Kilda 4-18
17. Melbourne 3-19
18. GWS Giants 1-21
Lol predicting every game, would be surprising if you got even 50% right. But good on you for putting the effort in.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

1) Fremantle - Ross almost guarantees a GF appearance. I reckon he'll get his and Freo's 1st Flag.
2) Sydney - Still very strong although Goodes and O'keefe age and wear and tear bothers me.
3) Geelong - Kardinia advantage, know how to win, lots of good players young and old.
4) Richmond - Big improvers. Some A-Graders, lots of improvers, no losses of older stars.
5) Hawthorn - Is there mission completed? are they satisfied? Buddy big loss
6) North - An A-Gader or 2 short but very hungry and talented.
7) Carlton - Seems about our level. Much depends on near full seasons from Hendo,Waite and Jamo.
8) Port - think they are the real deal. Strong belief.

9) Collingwood - Would have dropped them further but better than those below. Bit of trouble.
10) Gold Coast - Still too early. Badly miss age bracket of failed Bock,Brown,Brennan, Rischa etc
11) Footscray - Still a bit early. Improving the right way. Libba a star.
12) Adelaide - Don't like them. Thin on for talent. Vanilla.
13) W.Coast - In a down patch. Not much good happening for them lately.
14) Brisbane - Seem pretty unprofessional compared to rest. will win a few when in the mood.
15) Essendon - Depleted, turbulent, might win 3 or 4 games.
16) StKilda - Bare bones of a list. 2015 will be even worse still and probably deliver 27th spoon.
17) GWS - should beat Melbourne this year. Still kids.
18) Melbourne- wouldn't have a clue about AFL standard requirements to win games.

Premiers - Freo
Brownlow - Cotchin
Coleman - Hawkins
NormSmith - Fyfe

Allmost spot on. I still think Essendon is good enough to make the 8 and I just have a feeling that Richmond will drop out. For some reason there Talls don't inspire me.

1) Fremantle
2) North Melbourne
3) Sydney
4) Richmond
5) Hawthorn
6) Geelong
7) Collingwood
8) Adelaide
9) Essendon
10) Carlton
11) West Coast
12) Port Adelaide
13) Western Bulldogs
14) Gold Coast
15) Melbourne
16) Brisbane
17) GWS
18) St Kilda

North second??? You couldn't squeeze them into top position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back