Round 1 Vs Sydney GAMEDAY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JJ usually plays his best footy against the Swans. He should wear his Norm out on the ground to trigger their PTSD.
Not in the last two games since they started harassing him - 9 touches and 15 touches :oops:

Despite a rather underwhelming post and pre-season, I bloody can't wait for Saturday night.
It'll just be great to be among the faithful again. Whilst winning is the aim of the game, it's the roller coaster of emotion this game puts you through that makes it truly enjoyable. I'll ride the highs and curse the lows, but at the end of the day it's all good.

Carn the Dogs.

Article today saying McLean will be spending more time forward (which im very happy with) but also quoted McLean saying he needs to be at the feet of Schache and Naughton so looks like were gonna stick with him forward.

Im not really fussed whether we go with him back or forward but we need to make a call on it and stick with it for a minimum of 2 months. I love the two tall set up with him and Schache though, they really do compliment each other nicely.

Moz out makes it harder but dont mind the small ball backline idea, otherwise give Lewy an extended run, we need the intercept. At least with Moz and Naughty out of the backline there should be better ball users around Young to hide his poor disposal.

I have a feeling Bevo will adopt the midget backline approach to start the year, similarly to how the Pies did it with success last year. It seems to be his style.

Crozier Cordy Daniel/Duryea
Suckling Wood Williams

Crozier, Wood and Williams are all pretty good in the air so that should hopefully offset some of the lack of height. You'd expect a tall forward or 2 would get off the leash but hoping that the improvement in defensive run will offset this. If it gets too out of hand then Naughton or Trengove will drop back.

Naughton looks like a star intercept defender in the making. Only logical that we put that on hold in order to develop his versatility
He looks like he could be a star forward too. Kids an elite contested mark, hes super quick on a lead, hes agile/mobile with a great defensive mindset, he's clean at ground level so when the ball hits the deck he'll be as good as any key forward going round. Plus from the small sample size we've seen he actually looks like he has pretty smart forward instincts.

Not to mention that the one glaring weakness that might hold him back from being an absolutely top end elite defender, his disposal, is hidden up forward and hes actually not bad from a set shot.

Considering our history with drafting and developing key backs is quite strong and our history with forwards is obviously horrible. Plus the ease of which you can find decent enough defenders that can fit into your system compared to forwards.

Im all for biting the bullet and developing him as a forward. He's got all the attributes to be the best key forward weve ever had in the modern era. And between him and Schache for the first time in god knows how long were staring at an opportunity to have a two prong forward attack with very good players. Its maybe a little risky taking him out of defence but i feel its a risk we just need to take.

Not to mention that the one glaring weakness that might hold him back from being an absolutely top end elite defender, his disposal, is hidden up forward and hes actually not bad from a set shot.
Very good point indeed. I hadn't really considered how a move up forward could effectively eliminate his weak field kicking as a major problem.

Wood,Cordy,Crozier

Williams,Trengrove,Daniel

Richards,Libba,Hunter

McLean,Bonti,Gowers

Schache,Naughton,Wallis

English McCrae,Dunkley

Loyd
Suckling
B.Smith
Hayes
I think we will go for pace coming off the bench.

Emerg:Lipinski,Durea,Young,Young,Dickson

OUT:JJ,Boyd,Picken,Morris

Wood,Cordy,Crozier

Williams,Trengrove,Daniel

Richards,Libba,Hunter

McLean,Bonti,Gowers

Schache,Naughton,Wallis

English McCrae,Dunkley

Loyd
Suckling
B.Smith
Hayes
I think we will go for pace coming off the bench.

Emerg:Lipinski,Durea,Young,Young,Dickson

OUT:JJ,Boyd,Picken,Morris

Trengove CHB and Hayes in the 22... sure. And why would Bont play forward if Schache and Naughton are there?
Is this another one of your scoops?

Very good point indeed. I hadn't really considered how a move up forward could effectively eliminate his weak field kicking as a major problem.
His kickings quite funny, hes not neccessarily a bad long kick and his awkward ball drop treats him well when hes got space but under any pressure its just to awkward to execute consistently which is probably why hes a good set shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just cant shake a feeling that we are going to do well this saturday. Our last month of footy last season was great.
Sydney own the slowest ball movement in the competition and are not the contested beasts everyone thinks they are,
we have more chance of beating Sydney than we do have beating almost every other side in the competition. We
have the close one here Cotton, and it's not going to be pretty.

Sydney own the slowest ball movement in the competition and are not the contested beasts everyone thinks they are,
we have more chance of beating Sydney than we do have beating almost every other side in the competition. We
have the close one here Cotton, and it's not going to be pretty.

I’m just not sure how we score.

I’m just not sure how we score.
If it follows the script the scores will be at JLT levels and we will not have to, but this is a best case scenario
the worst case is the ease that Sydney accounted for Gold Coast who beat us. I am trying to get my head
around the 50 odd point turnaround against St Kilda in JLT2 especially as they had bigger outs than us.
I would not want to be the bookies framing the market for this game that is for sure.

I think we have a significant upswing in intensity that we’ll show on saturday. I think we can play at a pressure level that will surprise most. I think our midfield will win the day.

I just can’t see us scoring enough to win. I can see Rampe, Grundy, Lloyd and mills having a field day unfortunately.

Thoughts on playing Crozier forward? He has played most of his career there. His rebound from defence is good but with him and McLean playing forward we would actually have two guys with good goal sense.

I’d play Crozier forward and Suckling back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back