AFL Grand Final AFL 2022 Grand Final - Cats vs Swans Sat Sept 24th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Cats by 7-20

Votes: 75 27.4%
  • Swans by 7-20

Votes: 88 32.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 60 21.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we've beaten the Cats the last 3 times we've played them so don't think people should be writing us off too quickly.
No, the reason is because Sydney are a good football side and are playing well (mostly). Especially in a GF, previous record means little. Sydney will have 6 different players to the H&A clash, Geelong will have 4 and both sides are playing much better. Even if they'd played in round 23 at the MCG (somehow) I'd be hesitant to use it as any sort of guide.

Yep. Easily one of our most important players as we simply have no replacement for him. I hope he gets up
I trying to remember whom else sometimes has helped out in ruck. O'Martey I think was his name early in season and in past seasons Callum Sinclair. I assume Sinclair injured so the options are not plentiful if Reid not there. He just perfect as he can play in ruck, key forward and down back. No one else out of Swans talls are that versatile and ability to adjust each quarter like he can.

I trying to remember whom else sometimes has helped out in ruck. O'Martey I think was his name early in season and in past seasons Callum Sinclair. I assume Sinclair injured so the options are not plentiful if Reid not there. He just perfect as he can play in ruck, key forward and down back. No one else out of Swans talls are that versatile and ability to adjust each quarter like he can.
Yeah Amartey but he's not as good in the ruck as Reid. McLean too but he's nowhere near as mobile as Reid or Amartey so can be a liability.

Sinclair is a warrior but he's cooked I think.

Yeah Amartey but he's not as good in the ruck as Reid. McLean too but he's nowhere near as mobile as Reid or Amartey so can be a liability.

Ok, thanks for clearing up my butchering of Amartey's name... ha ha. Yeah, I think he has to play if Reid out as McLean just not mobile enough.
It might just be best to let Hickey know he needs to be on field almost all the match and freshen him up for what last task this season.
I really hope Reid gets up though. He been so injury prone it would be good to see him there is a grand final to make up for all the times he has missed in his career in terms of how much football he has missed. Will make for better match too. The only good thing if he misses for Swans is Stanley and Blicavs are not super talented hit out merchants so it possible to adjust some tactics compared to if it was against a real awesome ruck duo like Demons have.

The 2 best teams this year & arguably the last 20 years. Its the grand final that hasn't happened yet but deserved matchup. It'll be a cracker. Respect to Geelong footy club.
Cats have been the best team this year.
Swans to me, are just the best of a very even bunch after that. But well done on being there when it counts. Hopefully it is a good match. I am worried it might be one sided after half time and Cats get it all on their terms.

Great to see the two top teams going at it next week. Always wondered when they might meet each other in a GF especially in the last 20 years.

Hope both sets of fans enjoy the week and for no injuries in game to either side.

Hoping the Cats get the job done in a great game, but for the anxiety and stress, not too close :) and hopefully a game which isn’t spoiled by umps.

Go Cats!

Don’t forget you HAVE to watch this on channel 7. So go buy an antenna and/or a tv from gumtree/aldi/wherever
Not on kayo everyone.
Must be old school channel 7.
Not even 7+
This really sucks and part of the reason why I think footy got shafted by the new broadcast deal by a CEO who wanted to leave his mark even if meant selling footy down the river.

Sam Reid if out, is massive loss for Swans. When he was off Swans had no one to ruck but midfielders. I saw number 21 ruck at one point, then Hayward and then Heeney all within a few minutes of each other.
Hickey will have to ruck by himself the whole match and do a stellar job if Swans are to win.
Hopefully Reid gets up. I doubt Swans would have won over Demons without him so most people would not realise how important he is to their structure.

No he won't. McLean or Amartey will come in.

I'd say Hickey vs Stanley is a critical matchup.

Stanley's had one of his better seasons, but remains a perennial whipping boy for Cats fans, and I think the ruck is the one area we'd be concerned about. If Stanley can at least hold even with Hickey then I think that will go a long way towards a Cats win, if Hickey starts dominating and Sydney's mids get on top, that pushes the needle much more towards the Swans.

Hickey had some key moments yesterday, he's a big solid bastard, I've always been a Stanley fan, I hope he can step up when the moments arrive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, the reason is because Sydney are a good football side and are playing well (mostly). Especially in a GF, previous record means little. Sydney will have 6 different players to the H&A clash, Geelong will have 4 and both sides are playing much better. Even if they'd played in round 23 at the MCG (somehow) I'd be hesitant to use it as any sort of guide.

I'm not suggesting we'll win mate, I'm suggesting people shouldn't be writing us off as if we don't match up against you.

No he won't. McLean or Amartey will come in.
Maybe but if there one team you can probably try Hickey out without back up it probably Cats as Stanley is not your standard ruckman.
I think Amartey is the way to go but I would not be surprised if you decided to just go with Hickey as Amartey has not played in team for months.
Hopefully Reid gets up. I never heard what his injury was. What happened that saw him subbed off?

Maybe but if there one team you can probably try Hickey out without back up it probably Cats as Stanley is not your standard ruckman.
I think Amartey is the way to go but I would not be surprised if you decided to just go with Hickey as Amartey has not played in team for months.
Hopefully Reid gets up. I never heard what his injury was. What happened that saw him subbed off?

Sure but not as if Amartey hasn't been playing. Had a terrific VFL finals series. I don't think I'd want to risk going in with only Hickey especially when he's no spring chicken and has his own injury issues, if he went down it could cost us the game.

Sure but not as if Amartey hasn't been playing. Had a terrific VFL finals series. I don't think I'd want to risk going in with only Hickey especially when he's no spring chicken and has his own injury issues, if he went down it could cost us the game.
Fair enough concern.

I'm not taking any issue at the suggestion Swans are a great chance. Close to a 50/50 contest. It'll just be based on Sydney being a very good side with a rock solid game plan and several weapons. Not because their record over the years against Geelong is good with different line ups.

It's like Geelong lost to Hawthorn and St Kilda this season but not Collingwood. Doesn't mean they had the edge against the latter and would choose to play them tomorrow.

Remember, McLean along with poor goal kicking was the difference when the 2 sides clashed last year. He kicked 4 straight from 9 touches out of 14 goals.

Not so. I'm sure I could go if I wanted to get a ticket.
Problem is I am not really emotionally invested to see either win or lose. Cats broke their drought in 2007 and Swans before that and I also attended the 2012 grand final when Swans beat Hawks so the thrill to see a club that not won a flag in a long time is not there for me is this one.
I'm content to watch from home. I have Kayo or channel 7 so will be content watching at home or at a barbeque somewhere else.
Cool…?

Most people were on the Swans bandwagon after week 1 of the finals. All that's changed is that they had a close win against Collingwood (like Geelong did) and Geelong had one strong showing against a Brisbane side that didn't really turn up.

It's a toss of the coin next week. If Sydney had just had their Melbourne game and Geelong had just had their Collingwood game Sydney would likely be favourites. When it's been proven to death there's zero correlation between ease of PF win and premiership chance.

Back