Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 14 - Tigers v Blues Thurs June 16th 7:20pm (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Carlton by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Carlton by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Carlton by a lot

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Marchbank out is a big blow, for this week and going forward. However I see this game as very 50-50. Need to get on top in the middle, McKay and Curnow will certainly be cause for concern for them as well (though they handled them well in R1).

This will be interesting. Blues will be praying for rain. Young to take Lynch. That’s a simple one. Dont need a tall for Jack anymore. An athletic medium like Kemp or Plowman will be fine. Jack no longer jumps and is slow.
But Tigers after covering McKay and Curnow with say Tarrant and Grimes have lots of talls they can throw down forward. Put the resting ruck in the pocket. Nank or Solvo. Who takes one of them deep? Balta, Gibsuc.
But if it’s wet, I like Blues mids better. Particularly if Dusty misses.
As I said..Blues would like a wet night.
God I hope so. Jack would destroy plowman

The ninth placed Richmond team is a sneaky chance against the top 4 Blues due to the respective injury lists. Will be a feather in their caps if they can get the job done.

The ninth placed Richmond team is a sneaky chance against the top 4 Blues due to the respective injury lists. Will be a feather in their caps if they can get the job done.
Dusty if out,offsets any players you have out lol.
Wonder if we will be a science experiment this time? (dissent rule),umps went full utensil and barrel on us with the new rules then put their guns back in their holsters for the rest of the round.

Wonder if we will be a science experiment this time? (dissent rule),umps went full utensil and barrel on us with the new rules then put their guns back in their holsters for the rest of the round.
Poor little poppets with all your excuses

Been amazing throughout his career and certainly helps us being out, but not the player he has been in the past, this year

Richmond need to win this one. They face Geelong and Gold Coast (Metricon) in the next few weeks and can't afford to lose those matches if they want to push for top four.

I think you need to stop seeing Williams and McGovern as key players - if Carlton are to become a good side these 2 should be phased out. I'm only not including Pittonet in that group as he provides a chop-out to De Koning - but he'd certainly need to be upgraded.

The lack of Weitering though could prove the difference especially if Lynch comes back in the same form as he was before his hammy
Probably shows you haven’t watched Carlton closely this year.

Pittonet started off the year as an integral part of our structure. Was massive against Richmond and clearly beat Nankervis, who is a barometer for Richmond. Big Pitt was getting the ball to our onballers better than any other ruckman until injured. DeKoning and Pitt would have been a great match for your two rucks.

Williams was in great form as our running hbf’r the second half of 2021 and the start of this year. Big part of Voss’s game plan re running and receiving from the back half.

McGovern has been such a frustration but looked to have found his position as the intercepting 3rd tall defender. Small sample size but looked so good playing this role.

So yes, all three, plus Weiters, plus Cerra, plus Marchbank make us considerably stronger.

Agreed that your talks will worry us, but thinking our talls would be giving Richmond concerns.

Hoping for a cracker of a game!

So an out of form Dusty being out offsets the Carlton outs of Weiters, Cerra, Marchbank, Williams, Pittonet and McGovern?!

There are not enough laughing emojis to respond to this 😂😂😂.

As I’ve said before, not making excuses, just stating the obvious that injuries to 6 of your best 22 makes it so much harder to win.

No disrespect to them, but when Young is your number 1 defender, and chances are now that they'll bring in Durdin for the no. 2 KPD spot, you're in for a pounding. Jack and Lynch may well kick 15 between them.
If it's Young and Durdin, I'd seriously bring in Kemp as well to play loose 3rd tall. Just give free reign to roam around chopping off marks, with a focus on helping out whoever has Lynch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond need to win this one. They face Geelong and Gold Coast (Metricon) in the next few weeks and can't afford to lose those matches if they want to push for top four.
Forget about top 4, we blew that when we coughed up 3 games against top 8 sides that we were leading comfortably (Carlton in round 1 was one of those).

We have to keep chipping off wins just to make the 8 because of that.

So an out of form Dusty being out offsets the Carlton outs of Weiters, Cerra, Marchbank, Williams, Pittonet and McGovern?!

There are not enough laughing emojis to respond to this 😂😂😂.

As I’ve said before, not making excuses, just stating the obvious that injuries to 6 of your best 22 makes it so much harder to win.
Here, have some of mine. I'm not using them at the moment... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The Marchbank news is really disappointing. Lewis Young and... god knows who, to cover Lynch & co is very scary, wet or dry. Will be tipping the Tiges.

Agree with whoever said earlier we are no lock to make finals. Reckon we might drop the next 3 just quietly.

Probably shows you haven’t watched Carlton closely this year.

Pittonet started off the year as an integral part of our structure. Was massive against Richmond and clearly beat Nankervis, who is a barometer for Richmond. Big Pitt was getting the ball to our onballers better than any other ruckman until injured. DeKoning and Pitt would have been a great match for your two rucks.

Williams was in great form as our running hbf’r the second half of 2021 and the start of this year. Big part of Voss’s game plan re running and receiving from the back half.

McGovern has been such a frustration but looked to have found his position as the intercepting 3rd tall defender. Small sample size but looked so good playing this role.

So yes, all three, plus Weiters, plus Cerra, plus Marchbank make us considerably stronger.

Agreed that your talks will worry us, but thinking our talls would be giving Richmond concerns.

Hoping for a cracker of a game!
My point is and I'm tipping we'll disagree on this - is that I cant see McGov or Williams being part of your next flag - whereas Weitering and Cerra could well be and possibly Pittonet or a similar player who fills that role. Although from what I've seen, you'd want a better first ruck than him. Premiership teams generally need a dominant ruck and a good support ruck - Nank and Richmond were an exception to that rule but Nank offers a lot more around the ground and is rarely beaten.

The roles that McGov and Williams play are a dime a dozen and prob the easiest roles to fill in a team ie 3rd tall defender and running half back - I just dont see them being valuable cogs - both of them have large downsides and would be easily upgradable over the next couple of years

My point is and I'm tipping we'll disagree on this - is that I cant see McGov or Williams being part of your next flag - whereas Weitering and Cerra could well be and possibly Pittonet or a similar player who fills that role. Although from what I've seen, you'd want a better first ruck than him. Premiership teams generally need a dominant ruck and a good support ruck - Nank and Richmond were an exception to that rule but Nank offers a lot more around the ground and is rarely beaten.

The roles that McGov and Williams play are a dime a dozen and prob the easiest roles to fill in a team ie 3rd tall defender and running half back - I just dont see them being valuable cogs - both of them have large downsides and would be easily upgradable over the next couple of years
Agree to disagree.

Baker has gone from a dime-a-dozen hbf’r to a seriously good footballer.

Broad has been exposed with no support but looked great with Rance and Astbury. Is a dime- a - dozen backman who has three premiership medals.

Richmond stuck with them and so they should have.

Hoping Carlton does the same.

Forget about top 4, we blew that when we coughed up 3 games against top 8 sides that we were leading comfortably (Carlton in round 1 was one of those).

We have to keep chipping off wins just to make the 8 because of that.
20 points really isn't a comfortable lead in this day and age. Especially if the team has the firepower to whittle that down quickly.

Agree to disagree.

Baker has gone from a dime-a-dozen hbf’r to a seriously good footballer.

Broad has been exposed with no support but looked great with Rance and Astbury. Is a dime- a - dozen backman who has three premiership medals.

Richmond stuck with them and so they should have.

Hoping Carlton does the same.
haha - yeag thought you might! They are good comparisons - I think the main difference is that Baker and Broad are both massive competitors - even on bad days they'll at least give 100% and do the tough things - whereas McGov and Williams I'm not so sure

20 points really isn't a comfortable lead in this day and age. Especially if the team has the firepower to whittle that down quickly.
It's not necessarily the raw number alone, it's the time and the way the game is panning out.
2 minutes into the last quarter, Bolton puts us 21 points up, Carlton don't kick their next goal until about the 5 minute mark of the quarter, so with 15 minutes to go, we are in control of the game and playing well. If we kick one more at that stage and chew a few minutes, then we're looking at a 27 point lead with maybe 13 minutes to go and it potentially ices the game in the majority of cases. Instead, Carlton steam ahead and in 15 minutes kick half a dozen goals. Shouldn't really happen, but it did.

Anyway, that isn't even the worst lead we've dropped this year! We could maybe have afforded to drop 1 or 2 of them, but not all 3 games leading late against good sides (Blues, Saints, Swans). It probably costs us any chance we might have had of top 4, and it definitely will hurt our overall ladder position in the end.

Don’t buy into the theory that rain swings it in Carlton’s favour, Richmond are famous for being able to play surge footy and will the ball forward by any means necessary.

I do think it will be won and lost in the middle, if Richmond get enough ball I think the Blues are a bit to undermanned at the back to hold out.

Pittonet may turn out to be that player (better than Pittonet) that you suggest. People forget he’s only played 38 games and is 26 years old. His prime is the next 3-4 years.

Yep, way off his best this year - I suspect he has checked out and is just playing out the year. Even this week the club doesn't seem sure on how to explain his absence.
Yup hasn been the same dynamic player that we’ve come to expect, since coming back from he’s issues.
It take some time to unravel the challenges, but Dusty is champion, I’m sure he’ll get back to his best.

Back