Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They tell you before you get any routine surgery of all the risks associated with surgery.

You still get the surgery.
That's because in almost all cases the personal benefit of the surgery outweighs the risks, as assessed by the patient. It's a pretty core principle of medicine.

Your mistake is listening to health advice from a politician. They are trying to make trade offs between the health advice they are getting from experts, and the pressure being put on them by the *******s marching in the street, plus the dickheads bleating in Canberra (y'know, the ones that don't actually run any of the hospitals).

For the record, the appropriate vaccination rate for the delta strain is between 80-90% of the entire population. But since we aren't vaccinating children under the age of 12, the rate amongst those 12+ needs to be north of 90% in order to bring the entire population into the 80-90% band. At that rate, the r0 is expected to be less than 1, which slows down infection rates. If you don't have a 90% vaccination rate, you need to combine it with other measures such as mask mandates otherwise an outbreak is going to occur. States opening up at 70% or 80% are just taking a punt that they'll 'coast' to 90% before any serious outbreak occurs or numbers spike.
Even at 90% vax rate, other measures are required as well. Ventilation, rapid antigen tests (vital to interrupt transmission and detect infection in time for the new treatments to work), vaccine development for variants, masks, distancing etc with continued income support where needed and investment in genomic sequencing, antibody testing and other technology. A multilayered approach where no single measure is 100% but together they can suppress infection and death and keep health systems afloat - it's the 'Swiss cheese' solution and there's no alternative to it. A job that can only be done by the federal government, just like making good on promises of doses to poorer countries which would help block variants like Omicron, a major mutant which could really take off. It's already been detected not far from my neighbourhood:-(

That's because in almost all cases the personal benefit of the surgery outweighs the risks, as assessed by the patient. It's a pretty core principle of medicine.

Except the reality is that almost NO patient is making a truly informed assessment. They literally can't... because they lack a true understanding of the issue. If your doctor says you have cancer and require surgery to survive, are you going to dispute them? Maybe you'll get a second opinion or even a third. But at the end of the day, you're trusting the advice of medical professionals. Even if you choose not to go ahead, you are still trusting the advice of medical professionals because you're making that choice based on the information they are giving you.

Whereas in the case of the covid vaccine, anti-vaxxers are weighing up information they are getting from medical professionals vs 'doing their own research'.

And if people want to give more credit to crackpot theories they find on Facebook versus experienced, skilled medical professionals, I wouldn't normally care... that's their choice. Except in this case, their choice is hurting other people. If your doctor tells you that you have cancer and need surgery... if you choose to ignore them, you only hurt yourself.

If your choices potentially hurt those around you, then you can expect that they'll be curtailed by government. It's a pretty core principle of living in a society.

If Covid had the same mortality rate as the black plague did in Europe we'd still have 5 billion survivors worldwide. Humanity as a whole is under no threat.

(A) I think you’re understating the mortality rate there.
(B) I don’t think “the death count might be in the billions but humanity as a whole won’t be under threat” is a great fallback position.

damn a couple of new mutant strains? well this is completely and totally unexpected. looks like we'll probably need another few years of restrictions and a round or two of new jabs and maybe some more boosters. but then that will definitely be it and they will definitely allow us to get back to normal and just willingly relinquish all the power we have handed them, no doubt.

damn a couple of new mutant strains? well this is completely and totally unexpected. looks like we'll probably need another few years of restrictions and a round or two of new jabs and maybe some more boosters. but then that will definitely be it and they will definitely allow us to get back to normal and just willingly relinquish all the power we have handed them, no doubt.
Are you saying the new strain doesn't exist, or that the Government(s) invented it ?

Are you saying the new strain doesn't exist, or that the Government(s) invented it ?

I think he's saying the virus will continue to evolve into new strains, so we'll never back to the way it was pre-covid (with the implication that that scenaario makes McGowan and friends so excited they're sending their own dick pics to themselves).

I think he's saying the virus will continue to evolve into new strains, so we'll never back to the way it was pre-covid (with the implication that that scenaario makes McGowan and friends so excited they're sending their own dick pics to themselves).

Do people genuinely believe politicians like this situation? Liberal, Labor, National or Green... no politician wants to be dealing with a pandemic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people genuinely believe politicians like this situation? Liberal, Labor, National or Green... no politician wants to be dealing with a pandemic.

It's a widely held belief amongst the "muh freedumbs!" brigade that politicians like McGowan are one step away from kicking down our doors and tying us to our beds for TOTAL CONTROL.

*In$ert dollar $ign here for $ome rea$on*

If you really need an answer to that then you haven’t been paying attention…
And just like that theres the south aussie border closed…. ..

If you really need an answer to that then you haven’t been paying attention…
And just like that theres the south aussie border closed…. ..

Southern Africa, not Australia

Why would people in positions of power, which they've fought long and hard to reach, like a crisis that concentrates even more power in them and their inner circle? If you seeking power (and impossible to find a politician who doesn't), could you imagine the aphrodisiac effect of locking down a state at the snap of your fingers?

It does depend on what position the politician is in though. These types of overarching crises are great for incumbent governments but tough for oppositions.

Why would people in positions of power, which they've fought long and hard to reach, like a crisis that concentrates even more power in them and their inner circle? If you seeking power (and impossible to find a politician who doesn't), could you imagine the aphrodisiac effect of locking down a state at the snap of your fingers?

No, actually I can't imagine it. Perhaps that's a statement on your character that you can?

It does depend on what position the politician is in though. These types of overarching crises are great for incumbent governments but tough for oppositions.
Yeah I'm sure he probably loves putting his family and employees in a position where they're getting death and rape threats.

Most politicians are agenda driven rather than power driven. Your view that all politicians want to become dictators is very cynical.

A pandemic kind of puts a hold on any real progress on desired policy.

"You should follow the road rules about drink driving, show compassion for your fellow humans"
"If you think drink driving is acceptable I have no sympathy for you"

The two statements are perfectly consistent if you adopt 'social contract' type views on government regulation of human behaviour.
I 100% agree .

If I'm drinking alcohol I will not drive as I will put people at risk .

Also if I contract covid I will not go out in public as I will put people a risk .

If only it was as simple as “people who catch it will just stay home so they don’t pass it on”.

If you were only capable of passing it on when you were symptomatic this thing wouldn’t be nearly as deadly as it has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back