News AFL integrity investigating phone use by JDG & Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again, what law did they break?

Once again this sums it up perfectly! 76 got it you not so much...

It’s more a ‘mitigating circumstances’ thing and it happens all the time.

A high profile example: Mick Gatto shot and killed Andrew Veniamin. Was it murder? No, Gatto convinced the court that it in was self defense, there was no evidence to the contrary, so Gatto got off.

But none of that changes the facts that Gatto shot Veniamin and that murder is illegal.

WTF mitigating circumstances?

An actual example might be getting fined for smoking in your car. I’m sure it’s a law that some hate, but if you get nabbed doing it you aren’t going to try and defend yourself by saying it’s a s**t law...

1. A Person must not disclose or provide any information, advice or opinion to any other Person about the teams playing in any Match (including but not limited to, the actual or likely composition of the team, player injuries, the form of players and tactics), unless the Person can establish to the satisfaction of the Football Body that:

(ii) negligently with regard to whether it would be used for betting or wagering by any Person on a Contingency;

Umm actually.....
???
What point are you making?

What did i state that was wrong?

I highlighted in bold your incorrect statement.

You asserted that it would be acceptable for Degoey to communicate to a bookie via a phone that he is ok.

That would breach the AFL regulation that clearly states...

1. A Person must not disclose or provide any information, advice or opinion to any other Person about the teams playing in any Match (including but not limited to, the actual or likely composition of the team, player injuries, the form of players and tactics), unless the Person can establish to the satisfaction of the Football Body that:

(ii) negligently with regard to whether it would be used for betting or wagering by any Person on a Contingency;

Oh please, team managers contact loved ones and they can speak to them via their phones.

Yeah the gambling is bullshit, the afl sells their soul taking that much money from them, but using phones mid game just shows a disinterest in what is going on onfield from two senior players. Its also an easy way to make money gambling if Howe and Jordy have inside info they are spreading to mates.

Change your name please!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking at it from a society standards point of view ...

... there are plenty of jobs where people aren’t allowed to have access to mobile phones, for all kinds of reasons including integrity (not necessarily gambling), national security, productivity, etc, etc. The AFL’s rule is not out of place at all in that regard ...

... but would there be any workplace where a worker would be denied access to their phone when they’d suffered a workplace injury? Doubt that would happen.

I highlighted in bold your incorrect statement.

You asserted that it would be acceptable for Degoey to communicate to a bookie via a phone that he is ok.

That would breach the AFL regulation that clearly states...

Yep, it is. He can convey to his family/partner/bookie that he is ok and will be coming for dinner as planned and he is not in hospital. Or, the Footy manager can contact them and say he is being transported into emergency. I am not sure what the argument has turned to...
I thought it was whether he can have his own phone to call his family and friends during game time because some people think the rule sucks.. or whether he can’t because that is the rule.
I said he would be able to contact his family using the football managers phone and there is no reason why he should have access to his phone during match time.
Nothing to do about conveying info about team selections/opinions/tactics/players injury status/other sensitive info.
??

Looking at it from a society standards point of view ...

... there are plenty of jobs where people aren’t allowed to have access to mobile phones, for all kinds of reasons including integrity (not necessarily gambling), national security, productivity, etc, etc. The AFL’s rule is not out of place at all in that regard ...

... but would there be any workplace where a worker would be denied access to their phone when they’d suffered a workplace injury? Doubt that would happen.
Drawing a long bow there. What you are suggesting is that the only way he can contact anyone after an injury is using his/her phone, and only his/her phone.
There are 10 phones allowed.. any one of those can be used to contact whoever the player wants.
And AFL is not on an island with the rule. NRL, Cricket, and others have the same rule.

AFL can go and get ****ed!
I emailed the deadshits to let them know what a steaming pile of s**t their game is becoming under my own name.
Lets see what the **********s have to say.

Yep, it is. He can convey to his family/partner/bookie that he is ok and will be coming for dinner as planned and he is not in hospital. Or, the Footy manager can contact them and say he is being transported into emergency. I am not sure what the argument has turned to...
I thought it was whether he can have his own phone to call his family and friends during game time because some people think the rule sucks.. or whether he can’t because that is the rule.
I said he would be able to contact his family using the football managers phone and there is no reason why he should have access to his phone during match time.
Nothing to do about conveying info about team selections/opinions/tactics/players injury status/other sensitive info.
??

Degoey was injured. By conveying any information regarding his injury to a bookie until it is in the public domain he will be in breach of the AFL gambling policy unless the AFL say its ok.

The footage shows DeGoey and Howe holding phones.

The AFL rules clearly state the MDRA policy may concern,

1. (iv) the use and possession of Communication Devices in Match Day Restricted Areas;

The rule clearly states as of April 2021;
  1. (ii) Clubs must not permit Persons other than Authorised Device Users to use Communication Devices in Match Day Restricted Areas except as permitted in the MDRA Policy.
There is nothing in the rules saying that they can't be in possession of said devices, only not use them of which there is no evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And AFL is not on an island with the rule. NRL, Cricket, and others have the same rule.

They both may not allow players access to their phones during the game, but nobody is arguing about that ...

... the argument is whether players who are out of the game and injured should be allowed access to their phones.

In the case of cricket, there is the concept of a 12th man, but the person they replace is never considered officially out of the game. So it’s a different thing.

In the case of NRL, substituted players are technically allowed back on, so again, it’s a different thing.

On Friday both DeGoey and Howe were officially designated out of the game. Neither would be allowed to come back on, even if they had been magically cured.

Once again this sums it up perfectly! 76 got it you not so much...

WTF mitigating circumstances?

An actual example might be getting fined for smoking in your car. I’m sure it’s a law that some hate, but if you get nabbed doing it you aren’t going to try and defend yourself by saying it’s a sh*t law...

Since when is smoking in your car an offense?

They both may not allow players access to their phones during the game, but nobody is arguing about that ...

... the argument is whether players who are out of the game and injured should be allowed access to their phones.

In the case of cricket, there is the concept of a 12th man, but the person they replace is never considered officially out of the game. So it’s a different thing.

In the case of NRL, substituted players are technically allowed back on, so again, it’s a different thing.

On Friday both DeGoey and Howe were officially designated out of the game. Neither would be allowed to come back on, even if they had been magically cured.

On Friday both DeGoey and Howe were officially designated out of the game.
Were they? If Howe was used as the medical sub, and then DeGoey was out because of concussion after that, then both were officially out. But if DeGoey was used for the sub, and Howe made a miraculous recovery, he could go back on.

Regardless, the policy is that the phones are collected from all, and kept until after the game. The rule applies to more than just the players.
Every club is allowed 10 authorised device users, which ensures club doctors and team managers can make emergency phone calls when necessary.
All other officials and players must hand in their mobile devices when they arrive at AFL grounds. So, whether a player is playing or not, the rule applies.

Taking away mobile phones during games centres around the possibility of match fixing because sensitive information could be fed to the outside world and used for gambling purposes, whether the player is playing, is subbed out, or is a non-playing selected emergency that is in the rooms.
We can argue all day about whether players would or wouldn't, or did or didn't call someone, but taking away the phone removes any potential and perceived threat. Take away guns, and there is no possibility of anyone being shot.
And everyone has access to make contact with people in an emergency. so nothing is lost.

I don't have any issue with the rule. I'm sure people can survive without twitter or instagram for 3 hours..

Degoey was injured. By conveying any information regarding his injury to a bookie until it is in the public domain he will be in breach of the AFL gambling policy unless the AFL say its ok.

The footage shows DeGoey and Howe holding phones.

1. (iv) the use and possession of Communication Devices in Match Day Restricted Areas;

The rule clearly states as of April 2021;
  1. (ii) Clubs must not permit Persons other than Authorised Device Users to use Communication Devices in Match Day Restricted Areas except as permitted in the MDRA Policy.
There is nothing in the rules saying that they can't be in possession of said devices, only not use them of which there is no evidence.
From your quote above:

Similar to the rules of holding/touching a mobile phone whilst driving.. Don't have to be using it to get fined.
??

On Friday both DeGoey and Howe were officially designated out of the game.
Were they? If Howe was used as the medical sub, and then DeGoey was out because of concussion after that, then both were officially out. But if DeGoey was used for the sub, and Howe made a miraculous recovery, he could go back on.

Regardless, the policy is that the phones are collected from all, and kept until after the game. The rule applies to more than just the players.
Every club is allowed 10 authorised device users, which ensures club doctors and team managers can make emergency phone calls when necessary.
All other officials and players must hand in their mobile devices when they arrive at AFL grounds. So, whether a player is playing or not, the rule applies.

Taking away mobile phones during games centres around the possibility of match fixing because sensitive information could be fed to the outside world and used for gambling purposes, whether the player is playing, is subbed out, or is a non-playing selected emergency that is in the rooms.
We can argue all day about whether players would or wouldn't, or did or didn't call someone, but taking away the phone removes any potential and perceived threat. Take away guns, and there is no possibility of anyone being shot.
And everyone has access to make contact with people in an emergency. so nothing is lost.

I don't have any issue with the rule. I'm sure people can survive without twitter or instagram for 3 hours..
I don't understand why we have people arguing about/defending this either! Our players stuffed up; they should have to know the rule regarding mobile phone use during games, and we should also have had an official keeping an eye on things and telling them they couldn't do it! The players, and the club as well, deserve to cop a decent enough fine, and I'm sure that will happen. Hopefully a few will learn from it, and it won't be enough to derail our season!!

That the player is injured and has been declared as being out of the game?

No just absolutely no!! It is black and white that players cannot touch their phones in game under any circumstances.

I don't understand why we have people arguing about/defending this either! Our players stuffed up; they should have to know the rule regarding mobile phone use during games, and we should also have had an official keeping an eye on things and telling them they couldn't do it! The players, and the club as well, deserve to cop a decent enough fine, and I'm sure that will happen. Hopefully a few will learn from it, and it won't be enough to derail our season!!
If i could give 100 likes for your post i would..

Unfortunately, the woke people feel aggrieved...

From your quote above:

Similar to the rules of holding/touching a mobile phone whilst driving.. Don't have to be using it to get fined.
??

That is not the rule. It is stating what the policy covers.

The rule does not say anything about possessing it. The rule says it may not be used.

It is black and white.

If i could give 100 likes for your post i would..

Unfortunately, the woke people feel aggrieved...

If I could give you 100 remedial lessons in legislative process I would.

We have enough laws, rules and regulations in Australia without people imagining new ones that don't exist...

That is not the rule. It is stating what the policy covers.

The rule does not say anything about possessing it. The rule says it may not be used.

It is black and white.
Come on! Do you really think they're going to say "we've only got vision of them holding their phones, not actually talking on them, so we're going to have to give them the benefit of the doubt and let them off"?! You're being silly, and embarrassing yourself in bringing that up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back