Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Im all good to bring in AFL quality players, keep 1, maybe 2 "projectS". Right now the list (in)balance for our small forwards is too much. Move one of the project smalls to a KPF and the list would appear more balanced.

We should have 3, AFL quality, small forward (Jye Menzie, Jade Gresham, Matt Guelfi)

then you could carry possibly 2 projects that should be pushing for senior games within a year (right now we have 3, Alwyn Jnr, Jayden Davey, Tex).

That is, imho, one to many let alone be bringing in an AFL quality small forward. If we get a Ben Ainsworth, then move on a Jye Menzies. (fwiw, I rate Ainsworth, could be a 40 - 60 goal a year small forward).
What round will you change your mind ? :p

Not sure the list imbalance is what you say it is. We have 4 KPF . 3 medium and 6 smalls. The issue is more the fact that some of them are no good or just average or simply unproven and that causes an imbalance. Most sides play 3 small forwards with a combination of tall / medium. There is no reason why you do not carry 6 of them. Even more so when some play a bit of midfield.
Under you scenario we do not go after McKay . Glad we did.
If we can find more real quality small forwards to upgrade what we have then we do it.
The current set up lacks speed and forward pressure . Also lacks contested marking ability. It is a major reason why sides can walk the ball up the ground.

Not sure the list imbalance is what you say it is. We have 4 KPF . 3 medium and 6 smalls. The issue is more the fact that some of them are no good or just average or simply unproven and that causes an imbalance. Most sides play 3 small forwards with a combination of tall / medium. There is no reason why you do not carry 6 of them. Even more so when some play a bit of midfield.
If we can find more real quality small forwards to upgrade what we have then we do it.
The current set up lacks speed and forward pressure . Also lacks contested marking ability. It is a major reason why sides can walk the ball up the ground.

I don't rate Laverde as a KPD so McKay (or another KPD) was always on the agenda. The bolded bit is the straw that breaks the camels back for me. Guelfi the only small who can really flu for a contested mark. The others barely stick tackles inside F50 so we may as well play midfielders here.

My point remains that if we lost a small forward and gained Ainsworth, then you lose a Tex and bring in another position (I would still like to see a genuine KPF)

I don't rate Laverde as a KPD so McKay (or another KPD) was always on the agenda. The bolded bit is the straw that breaks the camels back for me. Guelfi the only small who can really flu for a contested mark. The others barely stick tackles inside F50 so we may as well play midfielders here.

My point remains that if we lost a small forward and gained Ainsworth, then you lose a Tex and bring in another position (I would still like to see a genuine KPF)
You like back flips. Last year you where not in the McKay camp and you where happy with Laverde.

As for the straw breaking the camels back. That is just average list management and nothing to do with list balance and numbers of small forwards. Gresham / Menzie / Guelfi would all work well if we had another couple of speedy small forwards and just one of them but we then can only go with 2 KPF and 1 medium.

My point is it is not unusual to have 6 mall forwards as they are playing 3 spots on the field ( Gresham / Guelfi / Menzie in round 1 )) or 2 on field and one on the bench. If you have 3 in the team each week then it is not excess to have 3 not playing. Even more so given there is also one injured.

I agree we need another KPF but its is because 2 of the 4 we have are no good and another has the core strength of an 8 year old boy.
We do have an advantage of having an A grade medium / tall forward in Langford .

The other issue is we are moving Perkins more to midfield so we lose 1 medium type there.

Yep we need at least one and preferably two Daveys to get very good

I also think Tex has the X factor we want

When you look at the team, the smalls you would expect to be ok are ok (late picks Guelfi & Menzie), the known quantity we picked up is good like we thought he was, the young father/sons are unproven. The youngsters come on - or don’t. And that guides what happens next.

You like back flips. Last year you where not in the McKay camp and you where happy with Laverde.

As for the straw breaking the camels back. That is just average list management and nothing to do with list balance and numbers of small forwards. Gresham / Menzie / Guelfi would all work well if we had another couple of speedy small forwards and just one of them but we then can only go with 2 KPF and 1 medium.

My point is it is not unusual to have 6 mall forwards as they are playing 3 spots on the field ( Gresham / Guelfi / Menzie in round 1 )) or 2 on field and one on the bench. If you have 3 in the team each week then it is not excess to have 3 not playing. Even more so given there is also one injured.

I agree we need another KPF but its is because 2 of the 4 we have are no good and another has the core strength of an 8 year old boy.
We do have an advantage of having an A grade medium / tall forward in Langford .

The other issue is we are moving Perkins more to midfield so we lose 1 medium type there.
people move on, they get more educated. They see the difference a player can make. I said during the FA window that I was on board with the idea because McKay is an actual KPP size and would make us have someone capable of playing on Tom Lynch, Tom Hawkins, Max/Ben King etc.

Just on the small forwards, 6 might be just enough guys on the list. I still think if one of them could be a HFF / Winger that could double up then that enables the list to balance itself out. Problem im seeing if the guys we have are one dimensional.

people move on, they get more educated. They see the difference a player can make. I said during the FA window that I was on board with the idea because McKay is an actual KPP size and would make us have someone capable of playing on Tom Lynch, Tom Hawkins, Max/Ben King etc.

Just on the small forwards, 6 might be just enough guys on the list. I still think if one of them could be a HFF / Winger that could double up then that enables the list to balance itself out. Problem im seeing if the guys we have are one dimensional.
Back flip. :p

He likes learning?

I know we need both Daveys and Tex to have more solid bodies. Is there a defensive knock on them?
Also, I thought JDavey was a small defender?
No defensive knock on them.

He likes learning?

I know we need both Daveys and Tex to have more solid bodies. Is there a defensive knock on them?
Also, I thought JDavey was a small defender?
Small forward to start with .

I wat to clarify, Im all aboard getting in a guy like Ainsworth. Fully at the expense of 1 - 2 small forwards we currently have. No need development if we have AFL quality on the list.
Think that is what we all think .
Bit like Gresham in Snelling out.
If one of the small forward’s do not go on then replace them .

Weideman out new KPF in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on how the season goes but if Essendon miss the finals I wouldn’t be shocked to see 2MP traded for a mid-high first. (Or a former high pick that has real value) Even if Essendon have to pay some of his salary to upgrade the pick)

Have Draper/Bryan/Caddy as your 3 talls going forward. Then use the pick for a prospect either a tall FWD or Otherwise.

Although should be looking at project talls this year with Jones and Hunter not really looking good.

Im all good to bring in AFL quality players, keep 1, maybe 2 "projectS". Right now the list (in)balance for our small forwards is too much. Move one of the project smalls to a KPF and the list would appear more balanced.

We should have 3, AFL quality, small forward (Jye Menzie, Jade Gresham, Matt Guelfi)

then you could carry possibly 2 projects that should be pushing for senior games within a year (right now we have 3, Alwyn Jnr, Jayden Davey, Tex).

That is, imho, one to many let alone be bringing in an AFL quality small forward. If we get a Ben Ainsworth, then move on a Jye Menzies. (fwiw, I rate Ainsworth, could be a 40 - 60 goal a year small forward).
Agree with that
Other than probably saying it'd be Jayden v menzie for me. One has got to the level. I'm keen to see what going davey can do.
I'm less convinced Alwyn is a small fwd. Looks more a mid, possibly HB.

Weideman out new KPF in.
Black Widow Avengers GIF

Weideman out new KPF in.
I personally think we are on small forward to many heavy but that's just me. Change said crumbing/pressuring small forward with a medium half forward and the list would look much better imho.

I personally think we are on small forward to many heavy but that's just me. Change said crumbing/pressuring small forward with a medium half forward and the list would look much better imho.
If you have 3 small forwards playing at any time why would you not have 3 others ? Depth and development.
You generally only play one medium and two tall or two medium and one tall .
6 small forwards of various stages is fine .

I wat to clarify, Im all aboard getting in a guy like Ainsworth. Fully at the expense of 1 - 2 small forwards we currently have. No need development if we have AFL quality on the list.
always thought the list could do with a guy from morwell

Also there’s Kako as hopefully an academy pick so we’re going to be getting 1 new SF

But in general I agree with you. The team has too many decent smalls and finding a way to shuffle the list and or trade a few for more medium sized players will make the list better. (It’s wierd being tiny up front and huge down back. )

Smalls
Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Caldwell Hobbs Sheil, Gresham, Hind, Guelf, Menzie, Tex, Davey, Davey, loul, Roberts

I think it’s fine to have 7 smalls in a team (2-2-3) but you don’t want to be paying big money for more then 2/3 (an issue with Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Sheil, Hobbs, Caldwell, Gresham all on reasonable money or in line for it)

I think the club knows this because if they’d managed to do that Sheil deal with Stkilda for a medium then they would have 14 on the list.

So assuming Kako is gettable you need to cut/trade 2 of those guys. To balance the list. 3 if you want Answerth.

Out: Sheil, Hind, Guelfi
In: Answerth, Kako, Midsize player X

Also there’s Kako as hopefully an academy pick so we’re going to be getting 1 new SF

But in general I agree with you. The team has too many decent smalls and finding a way to shuffle the list and or trade a few for more medium sized players will make the list better. (It’s wierd being tiny up front and huge down back. )

Smalls
Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Caldwell Hobbs Sheil, Gresham, Hind, Guelf, Menzie, Tex, Davey, Davey, loul, Roberts

I think it’s fine to have 7 smalls in a team (2-2-3) but you don’t want to be paying big money for more then 2/3 (an issue with Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Sheil, Hobbs, Caldwell, Gresham all on reasonable money or in line for it)

I think the club knows this because if they’d managed to do that Sheil deal with Stkilda for a medium then they would have 14 on the list.

So assuming Kako is gettable you need to cut/trade 2 of those guys. To balance the list. 3 if you want Answerth.

Out: Sheil, Hind, Guelfi
In: Answerth, Kako, Midsize player X
The team has too many of the same small forwards. Average pace and not known for great forward pressure and tackles inside 50 .

If you have 3 small forwards playing at any time why would you not have 3 others ? Depth and development.
You generally only play one medium and two tall or two medium and one tall .
6 small forwards of various stages is fine .
The team has too many of the same small forwards. Average pace and not known for great forward pressure and tackles inside 50 .

I think you've hit the head with regards to a couple of positions. Sameness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back