Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I was spewing when Melbourne traded all those picks to Gold Coast for pick 3 and chose Clayton Oliver ahead of us. Now it's not looking so bad.

(Hope you make it back Clayton :purpleheart:)
Dunno

Core to a premiership.
I take that even with the current challenges

Is Clarry's personal issue linked with Joel Smith's? Are we talking about a GC / WC type of thing?
Their culture seems like absolute garbage. May, Melky, Smith, Goodwin drinking with boys regularly. Probably the worst since GC.

I don't think tanking is the issue. What you might see is clubs outside of the 8 trading away quality players for players close to best 22 for a good club but only not in the side due to age. I think mid-season trading could be very dangerous for teams who think they could pinch a flag. They could trade away their future for a shot and fall short!

I never heard the conclusion of the Goodwin saga so you may be right.
board voted to stick heads in sand
dissenting voice was removed and is their version of Sheedy (except outside the tent)
???
that was my feel anyway. i didn't follow too close.

seems like a bit of smoke/fire. but then, they have a flag still fresh on the shelf, so who are we to judge :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel free to discuss why you think its a good or bad idea.
I tend to think it puts pressure on the lower level teams to retain their talent. That's already an issue.
But the key difference is that everyone is under contract until at least the 2nd half of the season, so clubs don't have the pressure of a player being out of contract and walking to the draft (not that it ever happens).

If the club losing the player isn't satisfied, they can legitimately threaten to hold the player for the 2nd half of the year if an offer isn't good enough. They might actually get more mid-season then they would normally due to that leverage.

12 years is not quickly. :cool:
12 years for a flag after a complete rebuild isn't long at all. In fact, it's about what we can expect for a good run club in an 18-team competition. It took Geelong 11 years to win their next one while they were contending throughout that whole time. It took Collingwood 13 years to win their next week. It'll be 12 years since Sydney won their last one. Next year will already mark 10 years since Hawthorn won their last one. And these are quite literally the 4 best run clubs in the league.

Not to mention West Coast made the grand final in 2015 only 5 years after winning the spoon and made the top 4 the year after winning a spoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back