AFL-X Sat 17/2/18 Allianz Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see why Victoria wouldn't want the Mutts.
I'll wait to closer to decideI think. If I can get a decent seat probably.
Edit: Alliance is the old Sports Stadium next to the SCG right?
Indeed. A very good facilty from when i was last there.

Hopefully i can go work wise. Will be a family trip to Sydney if I do.
Little Miss's 1st game of footy will be AFL-X weird.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Will we be trying to win it?
If we are then legspeed and endurance look like the go. Guys Tommo, Sculls and Whitfield.
Suspect we might go outside our best 22 and give some of the lesser lights a run though

Will we be trying to win it?
If we are then legspeed and endurance look like the go. Guys Tommo, Sculls and Whitfield.
Suspect we might go outside our best 22 and give some of the lesser lights a run though
The players out there wont be wanting to lose but i doubt we will be worried about it to much.

1 or 2 stars for the paying public with the rest made up of Academy grads

The players out there wont be wanting to lose but i doubt we will be worried about it to much.

1 or 2 stars for the paying public with the rest made up of Academy grads

I wonder if there'll be a requirement to play listed players. I googled but apparently today's announcement comes with details later.

I guess Rugby sevens is is the obvious analogy and that's why I thought speed and above all endurance. These days there's no crossover from Rugby to the sevens because of the incredible endurance the 7's players need. 3 on the bench with umlimited interchange is significant though.

I wonder if there'll be a requirement to play listed players. I googled but apparently today's announcement comes with details later.

I guess Rugby sevens is is the obvious analogy and that's why I thought speed and above all endurance. These days there's no crossover from Rugby to the sevens because of the incredible endurance the 7's players need. 3 on the bench with umlimited interchange is significant though.
Not expecting much nor should we. 1 maybe 2 if any best 22.

But will be good to see the Giants out and about.

Don't want any injuries for a "kick about".

The concept really needs a second week where an ultimate winner be crowned.

The top 3 teams from each group should playoff the following week in a finals system for prize money.

I reckon I’ll wander down for a look. Since moving to Sydney you never get enough footy

I think thats why there might be a crowd.

People are champing at the bit for some footy (however convoluted)

They need to promote it though. Very little so far. There just needs to be awareness especially in a place like Sydney that this thing is happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to promote it though. Very little so far. There just needs to be awareness especially in a place like Sydney that this thing is happening.

Yeah agree with this. Seen very little around the place

To be honest after the horrors of injuries in 2017 I was hoping we would play academy and NeAFL players.

I get that sentiment, however if this concept is to be a success senior players need to play in order to garner interest and now that it looks like gws will field some prominent players other clubs may also follow suit. Besides, aflx replaces a jlt week so senior players would have been playing jlt anyway, with potentially less injury risk because aflx games are shorter.

For the AFL X squads are peoples thoughts that the teams for the 2 scheduled games will be completely different or there will only be a few changes?
As it is for a run around I think both teams will be completely different in order to give as many of the players a run under some intensity but I think none of the older players will be involved and those with any load issues
The game time does seem to be very short if you don't make the final with some players only having 20 minute game time or less with the unlimited interchanges but i can see the appeal to the fans and the need to keep it to a TV viewer friendly schedule
I wonder how much input the players association had and also the clubs to work out what was feasible

I think there'll be a fair bit of turn over between the two teams. Looking forward to it a bit - I reckon Shiel would dominate but I'd be shocked to see him out there, he's just too valuable and injury prone.

I think there'll be a fair bit of turn over between the two teams. Looking forward to it a bit - I reckon Shiel would dominate but I'd be shocked to see him out there, he's just too valuable and injury prone.

I would think 2-3 first 25 players would have a run in each game as it is only 20 minutes with unlimited subs and large fields i can see a lot of running

14 players for the game day squad so not many will have a run and it will be interested to see which players are named
I would like to see a mix with some experience and mostly flexible players and i can see the ruck contests being the tallest player close to the ball so no need for a ruck but maybe Flynn could have a run
my attempt at some names that could be suited to the format
Finlayson, Corr, HH, Stein, J Buckley, Sproule
Tiziani, Langdon, Setterfield, Perryman, Cumming, Bonar, Shipley
Scully, Whitfield, Ward, MDB, Lloyd,
And scraping the bottom of the list D Buckley

Last edited:
14 players for the game day squad so not many will have a run and it will be interested to see which players are named
I would like to see a mix with some experience and mostly flexible players and i can see the ruck contests being the tallest player close to the ball so no need for a ruck but maybe Flynn could have a run
my attempt at some names that could be suited to the format
Finlayson, Corr, HH
Tiziani, Langdon, Setterfield, Perryman, Cumming, Bonar, Shipley
Scully, Whitfield, Ward, MDB
One of the other coaches commented 'no talls'; so I agree that we'll see minimum talls & those in will be guys who have plenty of run. Will give an opportunity for an audition of sorts for players in the medium defender & small/medium forward categories. I also suspect we'll risk few of our experienced players, so your list above Fridgeman seems pretty good. I'm not sure where Bonar is in his recovery, so he may be one missing. Other options to go in would be Sproule - very mobile for a tall - and also Dylan Buckley. Perhaps Keeffe - who's got pretty good endurance for a tall - might play the ruck role & some time in defence. Jake Stein & Sam Reid would be others in the mix for me, especially the latter if we didn't send any (or few) senior best-22 players.

HH, Sproule, Langdon, Dylan Buckley
Ward, Scully, Shipley, de Boer, Setterfield, Keeffe
Finlayson, Stein, Cumming, Perryman

I wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL suggests or recommends* that a certain proportion of the Squad are best 22.
(* although I’d say it was somewhat stronger!)

Yes, I agree - I was going to add that caveat! The question is always how you can tell your best-22 at the season's start, at least in regards some fringe players. And how many will the AFL suggest/demand? (In my post above, I'd see 3 best-22 at this point players in Ward, Scully & de Boer plus 4 fringe players scrapping for spots (HH, Langdon, Setterfield, Cumming, Perryman) - which I think is pretty reasonable. Fridgeman had even more in the squad he proposed in his post.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back