Game Day 2019 AFLW Grand Final: Crows are PREMIERS!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think adelaidecrows' point, as poorly expressed as it was, was meant to be that it's a shame for people who have supported the league and the team from the beginning to miss out on the biggest match because of bandwagon supporters jumping on at the last minute and taking up spots. Similar to how going to an AFL grand final is out of the question for most supporters.

Except, that's not what happened in this case. I had to come late due to a couple of morning commitments, and there were still plenty of buses. I found a park at Modbury Interchange at 11:50, and still managed to get into the ground in time to see the opening bounce at 12:30pm. There was a fair line outside the stadium but they got us through nice and quick. Couldn't find two seats in a row (went with my dad) anywhere in level 1 so we stood up for the first quarter, then moved to upper levels when they opened it up. Had an absolutely awesome time, the two heartbreaking knee injuries aside.

I was trying to work it out yesterday, and I think I've been to eight of the eleven matches based in Adelaide so far. Possibly nine, I can't remember if I made it to one or two matches last year. I went to all the games in Adelaide in the first year. I've still got great memories of standing under the giant tree on the east side of Thebby oval with all the players' numbers on my phone, trying to remember who they all were. I think of myself as an early adopter of the team and the league. There was no impediment whatsoever on me when such a large crowd came to the ground. Quite the opposite, it gave me goosebumps to see such a large crowd when I walked in the oval, and hearing them scream and cheer and shout at every bump, every free kick, every tackle, every mark, every goal was incredible.

Nobody that wanted to go to the game was turned away, nobody was prevented from being a part of the day. And I tell you what, I'm not sure if there were really 53k people there, but there was at least 30k+ still in their seats when my dad and I finally started to leave well after the presentations were over. Everybody who was there just wanted the day to go on forever.

Got on bus at 1144, stood in line for about 2 minutes, found 2 good seats in riverbank stand as they bounced the ball.

The problem was people watching on TV decided to head down cos it was free. Management caught out as staff cut back after game had started.

Rohan's great, he's not much a fan of the boy's club and general conservatism. One of the best going around.

I've liked him on Marngrook.

To back up his argument about women's sport and public interest, there is one sport considered very 'female' in rhythmic gymnastics that can show that there is public interest. Since the Atlanta Olympics and I know for up to Athens (it is likely still the same since), the first sport to always sell out in the ticketing sales is the Men's Basketball. The second sport that sells out - rhythmic gymnastics! Even at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, the Rhythmic Gymnastics was a sold out event very early on. I was lucky to get a couple of A reserve tickets that came available only days before the event. It was a packed Rod Laver area for all of the competition events there, having even more attendees than the artistic gymnastics (much to the Gymnastics Australia stalwarts confusion as they are all AG people). My dad was the training gym manager for all the gymnastics events and he knew there was going to be more interest in RG.

It is considered a typically 'female' sport that can be denigrated on because it is perceived to be feminine, even though the rules do not state a required gender to compete. It's just dancing around in a pretty leotard chasing a piece of apparatus, I've heard said to my face. I've heard comedians say that it's like a five year old just playing. So wether it is a perceived 'masculine' sport like football or cricket or one that is 'just for the girls' like RG, there has been proof that the public will go and watch women play or participate in sport at an elite level. They just need to be given the opportunity.

I like to consider that crowd on the weekend the start of the meteor shower that is coming for the dinosaurs. (Actual dinosaurs were awesome though!)

I've liked him on Marngrook.

To back up his argument about women's sport and public interest, there is one sport considered very 'female' in rhythmic gymnastics that can show that there is public interest. Since the Atlanta Olympics and I know for up to Athens (it is likely still the same since), the first sport to always sell out in the ticketing sales is the Men's Basketball. The second sport that sells out - rhythmic gymnastics! Even at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, the Rhythmic Gymnastics was a sold out event very early on. I was lucky to get a couple of A reserve tickets that came available only days before the event. It was a packed Rod Laver area for all of the competition events there, having even more attendees than the artistic gymnastics (much to the Gymnastics Australia stalwarts confusion as they are all AG people). My dad was the training gym manager for all the gymnastics events and he knew there was going to be more interest in RG.

It is considered a typically 'female' sport that can be denigrated on because it is perceived to be feminine, even though the rules do not state a required gender to compete. It's just dancing around in a pretty leotard chasing a piece of apparatus, I've heard said to my face. I've heard comedians say that it's like a five year old just playing. So wether it is a perceived 'masculine' sport like football or cricket or one that is 'just for the girls' like RG, there has been proof that the public will go and watch women play or participate in sport at an elite level. They just need to be given the opportunity.

I like to consider that crowd on the weekend the start of the meteor shower that is coming for the dinosaurs. (Actual dinosaurs were awesome though!)

Absolutely. And it's very evident that many of the best rhythmic gymnasts have quite large followings too.

Absolutely. And it's very evident that many of the best rhythmic gymnasts have quite large followings too.

It does help that conform to a very specific (and fairly unattainable for most women) ideal in terms of 'beauty'. We described once looking at the ideal body type for RG was you wanted to identify someone who had the body of a frog - long arms and legs and short body length. :D

This was such an epic day. I and probably everyone else that went never expected to be witness to what was about to unfold, it was uncanny, unexpected, bizarre, beautiful, sad and joyous and usually it’d be odd to think that all of those things could come together and feel totally natural and “right” despite the tragedy of the game.
One thing is etched in my thoughts and that was when Erin was stretchered off while being absolutely celebrated by the crowd and players, I couldn’t help but think the little 13 year old girl inside of her was witnessing all of her impossible dreams come true in the most uncanny of circumstances, it’s the most bizarre and beautifully sad and poignant things I’ve witnessed in sport.
I’m pretty sure most went as a curiosity and to support this great team and we got gifted a memory of a lifetime.
Ha! That's what I tried to say but you have better words.

I went to all the games in Adelaide in the first year. I've still got great memories of standing under the giant tree on the east side of Thebby oval with all the players' numbers on my phone, trying to remember who they all were. I think of myself as an early adopter of the team and the league. There was no impediment whatsoever on me when such a large crowd came to the ground. Quite the opposite, it gave me goosebumps to see such a large crowd when I walked in the oval, and hearing them scream and cheer and shout at every bump, every free kick, every tackle, every mark, every goal was incredible.
That's a funny thing, I reckon I was doing the same, trying to figure out who was who.

Now that I reflect, this year is a big change, I don't need to know the numbers on the back anymore. I have just watched enough that I know who is who by just looking now - you know, movement, height, hair colour/style, running gait, kicking leg. Watch enough of it and you know which player has the ball.

God I love footy.

He got s**t because of his role in the Tippett debacle which has set our club back significantly.

Having said that, I emailed him a fair bit during that year and he always responded. He even emailed me as soon as Tippett announced he was leaving.

Given the s**t storm that was brewing he didn’t have to give me the time of day but he did.
Wonder if he deleted your emails?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back