AFLW AFLW List Management 2021-22

Remove this Banner Ad

I confess to knowing very little about the AFLW but I will take more interest now Port has a team in the comp, the one thing that does surprise me though is the lack of height of virtually all of the club's draftees, with the tallest at only 177 cm being described as a KPD!
I was involved in basketball in the late 1980's and early 90's and there were numerous girls in the district and sub district comps back then who were at least 180 cm, and with each generation supposedly taller by average than the preceding one I guess there must be a lot of taller girls out there who just aren't interested in playing footy.
As the re-numeration improves I assume that will change.

As has been mentioned, subtract around 15-20cm from what the men are to get the average for women in AFLW.

A good rule of thumb for AFLW is ruck height is 6' plus (183cm), KPD height is 5'9 plus (175cm), and mids bottom out around 5'2 or so (157cm).

I saw Zoe Prowse was mentioned earlier. She was a gun ruck at SANFLW level but at AFLW level she's really too short to play that role at only 177cm.

Edit: In the Crows' inaugural squad we had literally one player taller than 179cm (Rhiannon Metcalfe at 185cm).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amelie Borg's height is given as 177cm, but she looks way taller than most of them, not just the 4 or 5cms of the other taller ones:

1656637210261-png.1436921
167-172-168-168-167-173-177. Might be a bit of angulation and optical illusion in the set up of that shot.

Last edited:
I confess to knowing very little about the AFLW but I will take more interest now Port has a team in the comp, the one thing that does surprise me though is the lack of height of virtually all of the club's draftees, with the tallest at only 177 cm being described as a KPD!
I was involved in basketball in the late 1980's and early 90's and there were numerous girls in the district and sub district comps back then who were at least 180 cm, and with each generation supposedly taller by average than the preceding one I guess there must be a lot of taller girls out there who just aren't interested in playing footy.
As the re-numeration improves I assume that will change.
These ABS stats linked below from a decade ago, confirm my 15-20cm difference observations. The average figures for the 18-24 age group are more relevant than the total population average, and that's still 14cm.

If you look at footballers drafted between 2011 and say 2016 before AFLW started, the majority would fall in the 180cm-190cm range, which is 2-12cm taller than average of 18-24 year olds in 2011-12. Applying that range to women for average of 18-24 year olds it would mean the majority are between 166cm and 176cm

Port's current list. From Port Adelaide Playing List for 2022 - Draftguru I removed Goldsack as he isn't on our list this year.
194cms+.... 8
191-193cms 6
180-190cms 24
177-179cms 3
176 or less.. 1

Our AFLW list - I've kept a spreadsheet as we have been signing up players

180cms+.... 2
177-179cms 3
166-176cms 19
163-165cms 5
162 or less.. 1

So the spread is similar, just at the really tall end the girls aren't there and that's probably historical as tall girls have had the chance to play netball and basketball at junior level and been encouraged to play those sports when there was no footy, as well as other minor Olympic sports like volleyball and rowing, athletics for hurdlers and throwers and even swimming like tall lean athletes, where tall girls are snapped up via talent identification processes the AIS and state institutes have been running for decades.

It takes 16 years to add 0.8cm to the male average and 0.4cm to the female average. Probably a little bit more cms in the 18-24 year averages.

In 2011-12, the average Australian man (18 years and over) was 175.6 cm tall and weighed 85.9 kg. The average Australian woman was 161.8 cm tall and weighed 71.1 kg.

On average, Australians are growing taller and heavier over time. Between 1995 and 2011-12, the average height for men increased by 0.8 cm and for women by 0.4 cm, while the average weight for men increased by 3.9 kg and for women by 4.1 kg.

In general, older people are shorter than younger people with the average male aged 75 years and over (169.7 cm) being 8.1 cm shorter than one aged 18-24 years (177.8 cm). Women aged 75 years and over (155.7 cm) were also 8.1 cm shorter than women aged 18-24 years (163.8 cm) on average.

These ABS stats linked below from a decade ago, confirm my 15-20cm difference observations. The average figures for the 18-24 age group are more relevant than the total population average, and that's still 14cm.

If you look at footballers drafted between 2011 and say 2016 before AFLW started, the majority would fall in the 180cm-190cm range, which is 2-12cm taller than average of 18-24 year olds in 2011-12. Applying that range to women for average of 18-24 year olds it would mean the majority are between 166cm and 176cm

Port's current list. From Port Adelaide Playing List for 2022 - Draftguru I removed Goldsack as he isn't on our list this year.
194cms+.... 8
191-193cms 6
180-190cms 24
177-179cms 3
176 or less.. 1

Our AFLW list - I've kept a spreadsheet as we have been signing up players

180cms+.... 2
177-179cms 3
166-176cms 19
163-165cms 5
162 or less.. 1

So the spread is similar, just at the really tall end the girls aren't there and that's probably historical as tall girls have had the chance to play netball and basketball at junior level and been encouraged to play those sports when there was no footy, as well as other minor Olympic sports like volleyball and rowing, athletics for hurdlers and throwers and even swimming like tall lean athletes, where tall girls are snapped up via talent identification processes the AIS and state institutes have been running for decades.

It takes 16 years to add 0.8cm to the male average and 0.4cm to the female average. Probably a little bit more cms in the 18-24 year averages.

In 2011-12, the average Australian man (18 years and over) was 175.6 cm tall and weighed 85.9 kg. The average Australian woman was 161.8 cm tall and weighed 71.1 kg.

On average, Australians are growing taller and heavier over time. Between 1995 and 2011-12, the average height for men increased by 0.8 cm and for women by 0.4 cm, while the average weight for men increased by 3.9 kg and for women by 4.1 kg.

In general, older people are shorter than younger people with the average male aged 75 years and over (169.7 cm) being 8.1 cm shorter than one aged 18-24 years (177.8 cm). Women aged 75 years and over (155.7 cm) were also 8.1 cm shorter than women aged 18-24 years (163.8 cm) on average.

Good research REH, I'm not as into stats as you are but the two I was told about pre computers (so maybe not as accurate), were that the average height of the Aussie male at the turn of the last century was 5' 4'' and by baby boomer time it had risen to 5' 9''.
5 inches in 3-4 generations was a pretty big leap, bearing in mind the standard diet for Aussies probably would have improved fairly significantly by the time most baby boomers arrived on the scene.
The other stat I can recall being thrown about at the time was Aussies were usually taller than eg a Brit of the same generation because we had much more meat (protein) in our diet.

Good research REH, I'm not as into stats as you are but the two I was told about pre computers (so maybe not as accurate), were that the average height of the Aussie male at the turn of the last century was 5' 4'' and by baby boomer time it had risen to 5' 9''.
5 inches in 3-4 generations was a pretty big leap, bearing in mind the standard diet for Aussies probably would have improved fairly significantly by the time most baby boomers arrived on the scene.
The other stat I can recall being thrown about at the time was Aussies were usually taller than eg a Brit of the same generation because we had much more meat (protein) in our diet.
Here's another stat for you, American's life expectancy and height has peaked and is in slow decline. Other western nations are/will follow.

Better nutrition and more food helps up to a certain amount as happened in the 20th century, but then eating too much processed s**t, more chemicals and toxins in food we eat and air we breath, drugs both legal and illegal, has an affect as does a 24-7 lifestyle. Then there is genetic limitations.

For the study, published in the journal Frontiers in Physiology, a team of French scientists, including Toussaint, from a range of fields analyzed 120 years' worth of historical records and previous research to gauge the varying pace of changes seen in human athletic performance, human lifespan and human height. While, as they observe, the 20th century saw a surge in improvements in all three areas that mirrored industrial, medical and scientific advances, the pace of those advances has slowed significantly in recent years.
No matter how well we may eat, at some point our genetics become a limiting factor, said Toussaint. "We won't be able to be as tall as the California sequoias," he told Newsweek. "We have grown taller, but our genome doesn't have the capability to continue growing taller and taller."

Players with elite kicking skills will stand out even more in AFLW than in the AFL, because the gap between elite and average/poor is bigger in AFLW than AFL

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back