Game Day AFLW R3 2019: Crows vs Cats @Norwood 2:05pm (17/2/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Marinoff looking super fit now. 33 disposals!!

Noffi's 33 disposals in a game that's just over half as long as the men's game is a huge effort. Probably the equivalent of a 50 disposal full-length game.

I didn't see the game, but just checked the stats in the paper. Marinoff is down for just 34 metres gained from 33 possessions.

For those that watched the game, is that correct, because that seems awfully low.

I didn't see the game, but just checked the stats in the paper. Marinoff is down for just 34 metres gained from 33 possessions.

For those that watched the game, is that correct, because that seems awfully low.
That’s because she works in and under packs rather than as an outside run and gather type. There’s a fair few stoppages in the game.

Definitely looked like she would have had more than that, she had a few kicks that went from the wing to the center of the ground to start the switch that would have gone backwards, I don't recall any big backward movements but she had quite a few big kicks into the forward 50 that were 30-40m kicks and she had more kicks than handballs I'm pretty sure.

That’s because she works in and under packs rather than as an outside run and gather type. There’s a fair few stoppages in the game.
She had 18 kicks and 15 handballs.

Even if her 15 handballs put together went nowhere, that's still means each of her 18 kicks gained less than 2 metres.

She had 18 kicks and 15 handballs.

Even if her 15 handballs put together went nowhere, that's still means each of her 18 kicks gained less than 2 metres.

I didn't realise she'd had that many disposals at the ground, but most of the kicks of hers I remember seeing were sideways, to an open player on the fat side of the ground.

I didn't realise she'd had that many disposals at the ground, but most of the kicks of hers I remember seeing were sideways, to an open player on the fat side of the ground.

Which opened up our forward line and that second kick was the one, either to space in our forward line or a leading forward. This is why I hate stats without the context. Marinoff did so much more around the ground than I realised watching live. Once watching the replay she was outstanding at applying the pressure and either stealing the ball off Geelong or getting it first and dishing it out to one of our other mids.

It does seem unrealistic, but to be fair, our gamestyle at the moment very clearly relies on winning the ball and then getting it out behind the pack to a clear player. I guess Marinoff could be the one starting that chain and being credited with negative meterage.

That said, I remember at least a few long kicks from her, and her backwards disposals would be a few metres at most, so it doesn't ring true to me.

Which opened up our forward line and that second kick was the one, either to space in our forward line or a leading forward. This is why I hate stats without the context. Marinoff did so much more around the ground than I realised watching live. Once watching the replay she was outstanding at applying the pressure and either stealing the ball off Geelong or getting it first and dishing it out to one of our other mids.

Yeah, I'm hopeless at judging the inside mids live at the ground. It reminds me of around the 05/06 period when I used to go to every game, and I'd never notice Simon Goodwin at the ground, and then I'd get home and find he'd had 30+ touches, haha.

Speaking of being a poor judge at the ground, I've noticed that when I can't see a player's number and a dark-haired defender does something amazing I immediately assume it's Randall, hahaha. So many times Ang Foley intercepted the ball and I was yelling "ONYA CHELSEA" like an idiot, hahaha.

It would seem more likely to be around 340 metres gained. Roughly 10 metres per disposal. Remembered her kicking long in at least a handful of her kicks. Most were likely short hand or foot passes.

It would seem more likely to be around 340 metres gained. Roughly 10 metres per disposal. Remembered her kicking long in at least a handful of her kicks. Most were likely short hand or foot passes.
I'm not so sure about that. Several players had metres gained in the negatives and from those that saw the game, it seems like many of her kicks went sideways or backwards.

Definitely looked like she would have had more than that, she had a few kicks that went from the wing to the center of the ground to start the switch that would have gone backwards, I don't recall any big backward movements but she had quite a few big kicks into the forward 50 that were 30-40m kicks and she had more kicks than handballs I'm pretty sure.
She had at least two where she banged it into FF. It would have gone that far on its own in one kick.

I reckon the typo is missing a digit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back