Preview AFLW R4 - vs Melb (Saturday, 24th Feb, 7.10pm (EDT) / 5.40pm (CST) @ Traeger Park, Alice Springs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFLW - R4 | MELBOURNE vs COLLINGWOOD

DATE: Saturday 24th February
GATES OPEN: n/a
FIRST BOUNCE: 5.40pm (CDT)
WHERE: Traeger Park (Alice Springs)
ADMISSION: Free entry
TICKETING INFO: n/a

PARKING:
PUBLIC TRANSPORT:

TV: http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/broadcastguide
Live on: 7mate (excluding Brisbane), Fox, AFL app

CLUB INFO:

LAST TIME:
2017 Round 2 - Princes Park
http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/match-centre?matchid=100640203&competitionid=10064

Collingwood 4.1 25
Melbourne 7.2 44

PREVIEW:

Finding it a bit hard to be excited about this match given our continued poor form and the interstate fixture. While we look good in patches we also look terrible for larger parts and my expectations for the year are quickly fading back to where I thought we'd be preseason. That is struggling to avoid the spoon, worse though I beginning to now think we may struggle to win a match in 2018. In fairness it's not through a lack of effort, but with top end quality thin across the comp losing the top 2 in B&F has really decimated our already slim chances.

Our skills maybe a harder fix, so for mine the number one thing we need to do for the remainder of the season is consolidate our best 21 and also their positions. Whether it was appropriate for Sheahan to comment on our team she's right we're making too many positional changes both from match to match and also across a match. Given our lack of ball winners Molloy is wasted forward and needs to play out the season in defence, likewise King is clearly our best ruck.

On a more positive note it was pleasing to see Hope respond to her axing with a much improved performance against GWS. Hopefully she can back it up against the dees, 2 goals per game for the remainder of the season should be her goal.

Melbourne comprehensively beat us last year and while it's difficult to see a different result a four quarter performance should be the minimal objective.

TEAMS:

COLLINGWOOD
B: E.Grant 5, R.Schleicher 18, I.Ross 21
HB: C.Molloy 2, C.McIntosh 20, M.Kuys 9
C: A.Barden 38
HF: S.D'Arcy 4, J.Garner 43, S.Chiocci 17
F: M.Hutchins 25, M.Hope 23, C.Bernardi 6
Foll: E.King 60, J.Lambert 13, B.Bonnici 8
I/C: H.Whitford 28, S.Dargan 46, L.Tesoriero 7, J.Duffin 27, C.Edwards 1

Emerg: K.Stratton 41, B.White 33

In: S.D'Arcy, H.Whitford, S.Dargan
Out: T.Morgan, S.Casey (Suspension), B.White

MELBOURNE

B: H.Cordner 21, L.Duryea 11, B.Jakobsson 7
HB: K.Smith 13, J.Grierson 19, A.Guest 17
C: E.O'Dea 5
HF: R.Cranston 30, L.Mithen 14, S.Scott 12
F: K.Hore 10, T.Cunningham 1, A.Newman 16
Foll: E.Hoare 46, K.Paxman 4, D.Pearce 6
I/C: M.Hickey 18, B.Patterson 24, A.Mifsud 9, M.Downie 2, C.Phillips 35

Emerg: A.Teague 40, E.Humphries 3

In: H.Cordner, A.Mifsud
Out: E.Humphries, L.Pearce

Collingwood's Sophie Casey can accept a one-game ban for striking Greater Western Sydney's Cora Staunton in an incident the Giants suspect may have left the Irishwoman with a broken nose.

It was assessed as careless conduct with medium impact to the head.

Last edited:
On Casey, the jump didn't look good, but once again I think the AFL have reacted to the injury rather than the action. A ban would be fair enough if Casey didn't have the ball, but much like a fend off (which are often high, but ignored) she was trying to make the play. That said I doubt an open handed Dustin Martin fend off would draw a suspension even if the same injury occurred.

On Casey, the jump didn't look good, but once again I think the AFL have reacted to the injury rather than the action. A ban would be fair enough if Casey didn't have the ball, but much like a fend off (which are often high, but ignored) she was trying to make the play. That said I doubt an open handed Dustin Martin fend off would draw a suspension even if the same injury occurred.

The reacted to Injury more then what Happens for Years

She lined her up barrackers it happened right in front of me.......it was a big hit.

She lined her up barrackers it happened right in front of me.......it was a big hit.
The footage looks likes she's just trying to a handball away but I don't blame her if she did it on purpose.

Not doubting what you're saying (I was only going off the video, which doesn't show much of the leadup), but it's an odd decision to line an opponent up when you have the footy. Surely the first priority should be delivering the footy to a teammate. Such an action however would be consistent with some of our other poor decision making and slow ball movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne is coming off a trip to Perth with a 6 day break and then travelling to Alice. That's hard enough for the professional men players.

Hopefully they'll be a bit sluggish.

Between you and Campbell, I'm just about convinced we've got this won. That'd be quite nice, sabotaging another Melbourne finals campaign in the space of a few months.

I thought she was attempting to handball and that’s why the elbow came. Just thought it was bad luck, will have another look

Between you and Campbell, I'm just about convinced we've got this won. That'd be quite nice, sabotaging another Melbourne finals campaign in the space of a few months.

You got the Same Feeling that I had when we broke the Port Melbourne Win Streak that lasted for over Season?

You got the Same Feeling that I had when we broke the Port Melbourne Win Streak that lasted for over Season?

To be honest, my more positive premonitions mostly happen in the pre-season. I'm still feeling a bit pessimistic about our prospects this weekend. But we'll get at least one handy player back, and I take heart from the fact that the team never dropped their bundle last season. So there's a chance...

To be honest, my more positive premonitions mostly happen in the pre-season. I'm still feeling a bit pessimistic about our prospects this weekend. But we'll get at least one handy player back, and I take heart from the fact that the team never dropped their bundle last season. So there's a chance...

I would not be putting Money On It.

Only Chance we have as IF Melbourne come into games with Big Heads

That'd be quite nice, sabotaging another Melbourne finals campaign in the space of a few months.

Your life is passing before your eyes ...

... it was six months ago!

Your life is passing before your eyes ...

... it was six months ago!

Look 76, my mind has a way of bending time in ways and for purposes I don't really understand, but it seems that my warm and fuzzy moments are closer to the present whilst certain traumas (e.g. 2002 GF) are allowed to recede into a deeper past. Or maybe it's just the alcohol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back