Autopsy AFLW Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Richmond

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Tigers

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious lack of leg-speed I reckon, but having watched the guys now for a couple of years, I would say the club needs to put a rocket under their development

Has to be coaching and development. Other clubs are rapidly improving. Maybe we don’t practice kicking at training haha

Or are they just limited players? You can't train a rock to be chocolate. Patrikios is a high standard player but she doesn't have many others even close to her. It's very much like Steele in the mens side but then we don't have that even spread of talent behind her in the girls side. There are a few goodish players but it feels like we have about 5 good players then the next level down looks like local club standard players.

Or are they just limited players? You can't train a rock to be chocolate. Patrikios is a high standard player but she doesn't have many others even close to her. It's very much like Steele in the mens side but then we don't have that even spread of talent behind her in the girls side. There are a few goodish players but it feels like we have about 5 good players then the next level down looks like local club standard players.
We have quite a few players that are over the 25yo mark, particularly through our midfield and defense.

The younger players have had a lot more development in the jnrs and being taught correctly so are often a lot cleaner on disposal
The older players are often transferring from a junior career spent in another sport so the kicking skills arent quite there yet unless they have spent a large amount of time in the VFLW and been taught well there.

No surprise our 4 best kicks (Patrikios, Smith, White, Matin) are under 20. Sooner we get Friend and Richards out there the better.
Some of our older players just need to know how far they can kick and that will solve a lot I reckon.

Just another area where being a small club puts us behind. Means we really need to nail our draft picks and work even harder keep them. Or find a Hanners equivalent in someone willing to be the first big name to come to the basket case.

It's a shame but not surprising the AFL cared more about appeasing certain egos than making the decisions to create the best quality women's competition.
As long as the Hanners type has 2 working hamstrings. I don’t want an injury bust

Recruiting is the problem.
How is Richmond able to lure big name players from other teams and we get left with the dregs?

no offence to the girl Lucas-rodd because she is an absolute go-er but her skill level is sub par.
But like this is one of our recruits, drafted @pick 99, and DELISTED by Carlton...
Now a STARTING mid at the saints.

Cat Phillips also recruited, great athlete/runner but kicking skills no good.

thats what I took from the game, Richmond had some girls maybe fitness levels not amazing but FOOTBALLERS.
Our team plenty of athletic women but not great kicks or readers of the ball.

obviously not all in this category White looks a gun and it doesn’t help when our 2 best footballers GP and TS are out... Sheirlaw as well.

but it just looked like a bunch of industrious athletes with lack of finesse.
Like richos saints.

have to think Nicky dal will be trying to bring in some more girls of his own silky ilk in the offseason.

Recruiting is the problem.
How is Richmond able to lure big name players from other teams and we get left with the dregs?

no offence to the girl Lucas-rodd because she is an absolute go-er but her skill level is sub par.
But like this is one of our recruits, drafted @pick 99, and DELISTED by Carlton...
Now a STARTING mid at the saints.

Cat Phillips also recruited, great athlete/runner but kicking skills no good.

thats what I took from the game, Richmond had some girls maybe fitness levels not amazing but FOOTBALLERS.
Our team plenty of athletic women but not great kicks or readers of the ball.

obviously not all in this category White looks a gun and it doesn’t help when our 2 best footballers GP and TS are out... Sheirlaw as well.

but it just looked like a bunch of industrious athletes with lack of finesse.
Like richos saints.

have to think Nicky dal will be trying to bring in some more girls of his own silky ilk in the offseason.
What with 4 new AFLW teams coming into the women's comp at the end of the 2022 season the talent pool for 2023 is going to be stretched very thin. Not to mention clubs losing existing players to these 4 new teams, we'll be shite for a while yet.

Back