Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the interview says at the beginning can’t say anything about the meeting.What are the first 3 or 4 questions about you think. How dumb are these people?
After he asked for the 3rd time, I would have loved a "Mate, I told you straight up at the start that I can't comment on it. If it's brought up again I'm going to have to ask you to leave".
Would be well within his rights.

But can you imagine the sooking from the media if he stood up for himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[moved my reply from another thread to stay on topic]

We all feel pretty much the same about the "fAmiLy" club.

Yep, I've noticed that. Seems like a lot of misplaced rage to me. Shιt happens. Seems pretty knee-jerk for North fans to go nuclear about it just because Clarko signed a contract with you later that year. You guys act like you're the only victims. It was bad for everyone, FFS.

I'm unsure what people thought Hawthorn should've done differently. Should we have ignored Cyril and not conducted a soul-searching review into past racism? Our club was trying improve things; trying to be better as a football club. They went into it in good faith.

There was no sweeping things under the rug once the Binmada report came back. The club handballed it over to the AFL in exact accordance with the AFL's own guidelines. The AFL then chose to sit on it for a month or two, which is why Phil Egan leaked it to the ABC journo and lit the fuse. Not our fault.

You could argue we shouldn't have chosen Binmada to conduct the review, but they were gold standard for that type of stuff, used by many businesses and departments looking to improve their policies in relation to First Nation people. It turns out they are shake down artists and Phil Egan is a crook. How were we to know that?

Maybe the club admin was gullible and naive not consider what might occur if serious racism accusations were levelled by ex-players at our former coaches in the Binmada Report. But who the f**k could see any of that coming? I doubt anyone had even considered the possibility of serious human rights abuses.

You live and learn, I guess. 17 other clubs have learned from Hawthorn's naivety and now nobody will address the past wrongs their clubs may have committed. We can shut the door forever on that. Don't ask. Don't tell.

It wasn't like Hawthorn deliberately targeted Clarkson with all of this. Yet that's how many of you seem to have reacted.

Last edited:

Yep, I've noticed that. Seems like a lot of misplaced rage to me. Shιt happens. Seems pretty knee-jerk for North fans to go nuclear about it just because Clarko signed a contract with you later that year. You guys act like you're the only victims. It was bad for everyone, FFS.

I'm unsure what people thought Hawthorn should've done differently. Should we have ignored Cyril and not conducted a soul-searching review into past racism? Our club was trying improve things; trying to be better as a football club. They went into it in good faith.

There was no sweeping things under the rug once the Binmada report came back. The club handballed it over to the AFL in exact accordance with the AFL's own guidelines. The AFL then chose to sit on it for a month or two, which is why Phil Egan leaked it to the ABC journo and lit the fuse. Not our fault.

You could argue we shouldn't have chosen Binmada to conduct the review, but they were gold standard for that type of stuff, used by many businesses and departments looking to improve their policies in relation to First Nation people. It turns out they are shake down artists and Phil Egan is a crook. How were we to know that?

Maybe the club admin was gullible and naive not consider what might occur if serious racism accusations were levelled by ex-players at our former coaches in the Binmada Report. But who the f**k could see any of that coming? I doubt anyone had even considered the possibility of serious human rights abuses.

You live and learn, I guess. 17 other clubs have learned from Hawthorn's naivety and now nobody will address the past wrongs their clubs may have committed. We can shut the door forever on that. Don't ask. Don't tell.
Nah. Nothing to do with any of that. Had a relative who played there.

It wasn't like Hawthorn deliberately targeted Clarkson with all of this. Yet that's how many of you seem to have reacted.

Clarkson was a part of the Hawthorn "fAmiLy"... just like Fagan was a part of the Hawthorn "fAmiLy"... just like Cyril was a part of the Hawthorn "fAmiLy"... just like Jermain Miller-Lewis was a part of the Hawthorn "fAmiLy"... just like Carl Peterson was a part of the Hawthorn "fAmiLy"...

So, you're comfortable with the fact that everyone involved in preparing the report was happy to completely ignore that Kennett was the one who upset Cyril to the extent that he left the club, by sticking to a bogus timeframe that avoided scrutinising Jeff?

Or, in other words, "what people thought Hawthorn should've done differently" is that the review should have genuinely targeted the real source of the problem, not the scapegoats who were clearly specified by Jeff himself to be targeted. Yes, we weren't to know (then) that Phil Egan is a crook, but clearly Jeff knew he could be bought.

So, you're comfortable with the fact that everyone involved in preparing the report was happy to completely ignore that Kennett was the one who upset Cyril to the extent that he left the club, by sticking to a bogus timeframe that avoided scrutinising Jeff?

Or, in other words, "what people thought Hawthorn should've done differently" is that the review should have genuinely targeted the real source of the problem, not the scapegoats who were clearly specified by Jeff himself to be targeted. Yes, we weren't to know (then) that Phil Egan is a crook, but clearly Jeff knew he could be bought.
I wasn't aware there was ANY timeframe given. You just made that up.

All indigenous players and staff who had been at Hawthorn were asked come forward and speak to Egan. Egan was commended for the way he was able to touch base with so many indigenous past players and get them to open up.

There were particular accusations made by particular players against particular individuals (Clarkson, Fagan and Burt). These stories supposedly occurred near the end of Kennett's first presidency and while Andrew Newbold was prez.

I hate Kennett as much as the next guy, but the idea that he is the "real source of the problem" and that he devilishly hatched a plan to make Clarkson the scapegoat is just absurd.

It was already well-documented the offence Jeff caused Cyril's partner with his comment about her ripped jeans and his stupid joke about giving her a dollar to buy a needle and thread. There was no hiding from that.

Kennett was publicly humiliated by the Caroline Wilson articles when he was publicly roasted by Cyril as the reason why he quit Hawthorn and went back to Darwin. The damage was already done. EVERY Hawthorn fan hated Kennett after that and wanted him gone ASAP.

But the issues raised in the Binmada report go way beyond Jeff's spat with the Rioli's. If you think Kennett orchestrated the entire thing to cover his own arse and make others look worse than him, then you have a screw loose. The human rights abuses reported in the ABC article was probably the worst scandal ever to occur, not just at Hawthorn, but at any AFL club. Who the hell would wish that upon their footy club?

For what it's worth, I think the ABC article was completely unbalanced and it portrayed the ex-Hawthorn coaches in the worst possible light. I always felt there was way more to those stories, which the journo conveniently omitted. It was a hatchet job.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back