Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

BTW called Greenwood in the ruck the min X went down. My coaching equivalent of the time I took a set shot from 40m outside the boundary line in the right hand pocket at Arden St and nailed it. Sadly nobody much around to admire my greatest football achievement on either occasion.
A few of us thought it was a good idea in the GDT.

You can see how like Pendlebury he is.;) His basketball background really stands out in the ruck.

I wanted to make a few observations on Clarkson’s coaching. This is purely from watching on TV and granted it’s one game against a team that is going to be down the bottom.

1. Ball movement - Like Larkey he said in a few interviews, we looked to change lanes so much, particularly in the first two and a half quarters. Ran in wave with handball then took on a kick that gave us a chance to open it up. It was pleasing and more often than not it was first gamer Sheezel who initiated these chains.

2. Transition from attack to defend - Usually the downfall of running in those waves is if you turn it over you get burnt the other way. Happened a few times for sure, but overall I thought we reacted quicker than ever to set up behind the ball. Watching on TV it’s hard to tell though and the West Coast chip style may have made it better than it was. Probably still a watch this space, but seemed improved.

3. Ball use under pressure/in congestion - Can’t remember a time where we shared the ball so well by hand and executed. It seemed so instinctive when in tight and under pressure to just give to the first bloke you see and they do the same. Allowed us to break free from that congestion until someone could then weigh up a decision with time and space. This is premiership footy. Richmond did it when they were at the top, so did/do Melbourne. Share the god damn ball and you’ll find a way out. Exception is probably for LDU who can do things very few others can, but even he was still sharing it in tight when he had to.

4. Pressure - Not much really needs to be said here. Was obvious to anyone watching that we were pressing the ball carrier. Pleasing thing was we weren’t bees to a honeypot. One would go and then when the ball moved or was released it was next man up to pressure that bloke. So good to see.

Things that still need work and I’m sure Clarkson will have a focus on this week. Kill the freaking high ball in defence. I know part of it was being undersized but there were too many times we had 3-4 fly for it and let it out the back. This has been a constant problem for North over many years. Excited to see how having both McKay and Logue in the team will help this though.

Still think our forward entries can be improved. They weren’t horrible, but still blazed away at times.

Overall it was a distinctly different outfit to the Shaw/Noble era and that was easy for anyone to see.
Just watching the replay and forgot one thing. Ball control during red time. Wowee is this something we have LACKED for the best part of two decades. Only watched first half so far but both quarters we shut it down and didn’t concede.

I wanted to make a few observations on Clarkson’s coaching. This is purely from watching on TV and granted it’s one game against a team that is going to be down the bottom.

1. Ball movement - Like Larkey he said in a few interviews, we looked to change lanes so much, particularly in the first two and a half quarters. Ran in wave with handball then took on a kick that gave us a chance to open it up. It was pleasing and more often than not it was first gamer Sheezel who initiated these chains.

2. Transition from attack to defend - Usually the downfall of running in those waves is if you turn it over you get burnt the other way. Happened a few times for sure, but overall I thought we reacted quicker than ever to set up behind the ball. Watching on TV it’s hard to tell though and the West Coast chip style may have made it better than it was. Probably still a watch this space, but seemed improved.

3. Ball use under pressure/in congestion - Can’t remember a time where we shared the ball so well by hand and executed. It seemed so instinctive when in tight and under pressure to just give to the first bloke you see and they do the same. Allowed us to break free from that congestion until someone could then weigh up a decision with time and space. This is premiership footy. Richmond did it when they were at the top, so did/do Melbourne. Share the god damn ball and you’ll find a way out. Exception is probably for LDU who can do things very few others can, but even he was still sharing it in tight when he had to.

4. Pressure - Not much really needs to be said here. Was obvious to anyone watching that we were pressing the ball carrier. Pleasing thing was we weren’t bees to a honeypot. One would go and then when the ball moved or was released it was next man up to pressure that bloke. So good to see.

Things that still need work and I’m sure Clarkson will have a focus on this week. Kill the freaking high ball in defence. I know part of it was being undersized but there were too many times we had 3-4 fly for it and let it out the back. This has been a constant problem for North over many years. Excited to see how having both McKay and Logue in the team will help this though.

Still think our forward entries can be improved. They weren’t horrible, but still blazed away at times.

Overall it was a distinctly different outfit to the Shaw/Noble era and that was easy for anyone to see.
Fantastic analysis mate.

Agree looked much cleaner overall. System, belief and confidence - all of which should continue to improve (although obviously not straight line). I think the defence / high ball thing is accurate but will sort itself out mostly. They will be aware and need some time. A lot of new players (both terms of NM and AFL for some of them) and will take a handful of games together as a group to get some more comfort with each other. They held up well all things considered.

A few of us thought it was a good idea in the GDT.

You can see how like Pendlebury he is.;) His basketball background really stands out in the ruck.
You're much more scientific than me. I just went with:

• tall
  • he's a big, mature body and seems to have a very good ability to hold his ground physically
  • Has Sampson esque hair going on so is tough
  • Usually is around the fall of the ball providing defensive pressure anyway
  • I like him and reckon he is underrated when fit, speed is good, finesse is good but ultimately players that can run all day, hit hard and worm their way through traffic always have value.

You're much more scientific than me. I just went with:

• tall
  • he's a big, mature body and seems to have a very good ability to hold his ground physically
  • Has Sampson esque hair going on so is tough
  • Usually is around the fall of the ball providing defensive pressure anyway
  • I like him and reckon he is underrated when fit, speed is good, finesse is good but ultimately players that can run all day, hit hard and worm their way through traffic always have value.
He played college basketball in the US on a scholarship IIRC.

We look so different after one preseason.

We have never been one of those modern teams the defends up the ground. Never. One preseason and it's all changed.

We're so well drilled. People will criticise Jy but he walked the ball out of play so calmly in a few high pressure situations. Historically we wouldn't have players doing that. These little things are changing everywhere.

JZ gets tackled deep inside defensive 50 with no prior. He just cops the tackle and goes to ground. Smart play.

Powell, ldu, Cunnington are snapping off simple handballs to the advantage of a running player. They're drawing the man before dishing off when it makes sense.

There are blocks going on across the ground. Real team football.

So many little things quickly add up. I can't believe how quickly they've turned it around - they must be excellent teachers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is it having him as our coach, he was up and about on the boundary line all game pumping the boys up and making them believe, no doubt we'll see the hard-nosed angry Clarkson at points but I really think he's changed his approach as a coach in really simple and small ways just more measured & taking his notes out from the NBA style of coaching a bit keeping the boys engaged & watching the plays unfold, as well as reacting to the game style ahead of time and adjusting us right off the bat as the season started knowing that attacking footy is the blueprint backed by his established brand of defence.

I loved watching him at work in Perth, what he's been able to do with this team in his short time is nothing short of amazing. We were getting smashed just a season ago, and now we're right in it and the list hasn't changed that radically, he's just got these guys believing.

Last edited:
Figure this is relevant here as well.

Game plan and structure
Huge, humongous, absolutely massive tick.

Defensive setup - looks great. Particularly when we are defending a kick in, and particularly early in matches we are expending very little effort in making it hard for them to move the ball, and their resulting slow movement allows us to roll it down the ground and maintain shape. As the game opens up it fades a bit, but it's so good to see clearly what we are trying to do.

One of the commentators, either Mooney or Pav, were super impressed with this and lamented that it looks like an updated version of the cluster that cost them a premiership.

We do seem to allow them an easy outnumber if they manage to get it out the back, but I suspect it's by design. It wouldn't surprise me if Clarko ran the numbers and realised it was useless trying to haul arse once they break the zone (almost guaranteed score regardless) and the best defence is to focus more energy on how many times they do that rather than expending all your tickets on trying to cover the few times they do.

Offensive transition setup - also fantastic. I mentioned many times last year that these blokes weren't poorly skilled, but not having blokes creating space and leading options made them look like horrible kicks. It was refreshing to see us using skills to dice a team to bits. We tend to utilise the full defensive press with no length that I really disliked as Noble's game plan, but we now only do it later in quarters to minimise junk time goals which I'm ok with. Every other time we had blokes to kick to leading at the footy.

Overall, Clarkson is a genius, and I'm enjoying that he's teaching us how to win again. But there's a big test with Hawthorn this week. He's cut two coaches to bits who have a good structure but struggle with adapting, but Mitchell is a different beast, albeit with a weaker side.

I'm so keen to see the tweaks he makes week to week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back