Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah throwing the toys out of the cot won't cut it with young people today. Intimidation worked when I was a kid, but as a recently retired school teacher kids are cut from a different cloth today. Berating them will achieve nothing. They have to be lead to want to do better. They need role models, and as footballers our senior players don't offer much in that regard. They might be great blokes, but are unable to lead and inspire their young teammates. We desperately need to trade in some leadership and talent. We did it in the 1970's with cash and the carrot of a flag. If the right people are approached, the money is good, and they believe what is sold to them we could do it again.

What would an angry Clarkson even achieve? The players won't magically be able to execute the fundamentals better because their coach punched a wall or some other dumb s**t like that.
Iam just glad he has 3 more years of contract to play out, because quite frankly its the toughest gig in the game and another Shaw or Nobles would have well and truly buckled by now,

Absolutely nothing so far has shown that well get there in the long run.
Seriousely though what more would you expect when we are relying on players like lazaro, Curtis taylor etc to actually play in the best 22?? add to that a midfield learning on the run and a fwd line that hasnt had a focal KPF that can that a contested mark since brown left and a backline that has been decimated. , and thats not a knock on larkey who could be a great 2nd fiddle foil, think of him as a rich mans eric hipwood. but he wont and never has been a front and square power fwd.

Iam just glad he has 3 more years of contract to play out, because quite frankly its the toughest gig in the game and another Shaw or Nobles would have well and truly buckled by now,

Seriousely though what more would you expect when we are relying on players like lazaro, Curtis taylor etc to actually play in the best 22?? add to that a midfield learning on the run and a fwd line that hasnt had a focal KPF that can that a contested mark since brown left and a backline that has been decimated. , and thats not a knock on larkey who could be a great 2nd fiddle foil, think of him as a rich mans eric hipwood. but he wont and never has been a front and square power fwd.
Wait .. we have our “speedster” coming in today 🤣
Lazzaro made a huge difference 😊👍

Got rid of Noble. Lost Cunners, Goldy, TT, McKay and Logue to injury. Simpkin severely concussed. We’ve gone from uncompetitive a few weeks ago to some genuine decent passages of footy, better pressure and staying in games longer.

We’re coming from further back then when Clarko started/didn’t start. You want to panic that’s your prerogative. I’m sick of losing but I can see what we’re building. It’ll take time. Yes, it’s been s**t for a long time. But you understand the context yes? We don’t take to the field vs Port with anything near the experience, stability and seniority they have. I’ll panic when they stop trying. Not seeing that.

Panic is rational when you’re completely falling apart from quarter one and the players obviously don’t care. But again, I don’t see that. I see a group of inexperienced kids and a couple of gun 24/25 year old and average to ok senior players busting a gut to try and play a style they’ve bought into. I also see players like Sheez, LDU, Wardlaw, Comben and X doing everything they can to lift the team.

You may disagree but the trajectory is - slowly, painfully, incrementally for sure - upwards.
Same old posters on here with rolling out the same old dribble. He’s cooked! He’s lost it! He can’t coach! Blah blah blah. Talk about a bunch of miserable whinging supporters. Fact is, he’s about 20 games in coaching NMFC, a team under a serious rebuild and still learning a new game plan with players with under sized bodies. And this rebuild will continue for another couple of years whilst all the pieces (that is players) are acquired through the draft, trade or free agency. So keep up the whinging you nut jobs. Your fingers are going to get pretty sore writing your dribble each week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah throwing the toys out of the cot won't cut it with young people today. Intimidation worked when I was a kid, but as a recently retired school teacher kids are cut from a different cloth today. Berating them will achieve nothing. They have to be lead to want to do better. They need role models, and as footballers our senior players don't offer much in that regard. They might be great blokes, but are unable to lead and inspire their young teammates. We desperately need to trade in some leadership and talent. We did it in the 1970's with cash and the carrot of a flag. If the right people are approached, the money is good, and they believe what is sold to them we could do it again.

The cash offer was huge but the promise of a flag would have seemed just as remote and unlikely back then. Nevertheless, I would like to know, given his sad passing this week, who our 2025 Barry Davis would be? Who could come in and be given the captaincy and win Syd Barker medals while lifting the kids up on his shoulders? It would have to be someone with at least 3 years of top level football left in him and not someone who can no longer get a game in his current team.

If you don't think Clarko is up to the job, who do you think would be? I'd be interested to hear your answer. Clarko is the best coach in the business. If he can't do it, I don't think anyone can.
More to the point, if we sacked Clarko, I don't think we would get any applications for the job. It's a fact that when Noble was appointed, the best available coaches refused to apply. We would be in the same situation of having to appoint someone from left field who would not be considered by any other club.

The biggest issue is that we're building a culture, list and game plan all at once, from ground zero.
The Pies and Giants had strong cultures and solid playing lists when McRae and Kingsley took over. They were able to quickly implement new game plans that produced vast improvement.

We have neither of those things. We have a playing list that is the youngest and least experienced in the comp. It's also unbalanced and paying for years of incompetent recruiting.
For far too long the club has also had a poor culture of "near enough is good enough". We also lack the experienced, strong leaders who can drive that change and it's up to 2nd year players in Sheez and Warlord.

All of this is a recipe for struggle and why the playing list is finding it so hard to nail the game plan. The general lack of skill, fitness, leadership and experience.
It's going to take a hell of a lot of patience and perseverance to turn this around. But there's no one better credentialled to do it than Clarko.
We just have to wear the pain until we have a list capable of competing and winning games. It's unpleasant, but we have no other choice

The biggest issue is that we're building a culture, list and game plan all at once, from ground zero.
The Pies and Giants had strong cultures and solid playing lists when McRae and Kingsley took over. They were able to quickly implement new game plans that produced vast improvement.

We have neither of those things. We have a playing list that is the youngest and least experienced in the comp. It's also unbalanced and paying for years of incompetent recruiting.
For far too long the club has also had a poor culture of "near enough is good enough". We also lack the experienced, strong leaders who can drive that change and it's up to 2nd year players in Sheez and Warlord.

All of this is a recipe for struggle and why the playing list is finding it so hard to nail the game plan. The general lack of skill, fitness, leadership and experience.
It's going to take a hell of a lot of patience and perseverance to turn this around. But there's no one better credentialled to do it than Clarko.
We just have to wear the pain until we have a list capable of competing and winning games. It's unpleasant, but we have no other choice
well summised, and you haven't even touched on the glaring holes in the list that need to be filled.

Spot on. Add to this, Clarko and Viney did a complete clean out of assistant and development coaches. He should now have his team in place which will take time to get aligned and put a new stamp on the club and playing list. God knows what Gavin Brown has been doing over the years but the players are not going to develop and learn new ways and habits overnight. This time next year we can judge him and the coaching team and start pathetic threads like "Bye Bye Clarkson".

If anyone genuinely rates out list and thinks Clarko is the problem...

Name all the blokes that can honestly slot right into another team's best 22. Name them. You might not even reach 10 names. There's your problem.

We're not going to win many games of footy if our list is so imbalanced. It seems a lot of people forgot about the warnings Clarko himself gave us all.

It's shit and unacceptable but when you look at the overall state of the list, I'm surprised it can even score. It's shithouse.

If anyone genuinely rates out list and thinks Clarko is the problem...

Name all the blokes that can honestly slot right into another team's best 22. Name them. You might not even reach 10 names. There's your problem.

We're not going to win many games of footy if our list is so imbalanced. It seems a lot of people forgot about the warnings Clarko himself gave us all.

It's s**t and unacceptable but when you look at the overall state of the list, I'm surprised it can even score. It's shithouse.

It could be a bit of both

It’s the effort and intent that’s clearly missing. At least other shit teams with shit lists like you say are giving it there all.

We’re not motivated to win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back