Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said it was a issue haha I was pointing out how repetitive that line is with him. Its boring.

heck me we were all sick of hearing Brad "easy fix" lol

You lot carry on like none of us are allowed to poke fun or be realistic anymore. Everything is rainbows and lollipops. Now that's boring as heck ;)
would you prefer he piss in your pocket brad scott style? basically he is saying it is what it is, will be a slow road back, nothing glamorous about it, if you want to be entertained maybe ross nobles or rodney rude are your tonic?

its working for the saints...

They average about 70 points against, we average about 120.

They’re a pretty average list but their defensive structures make them a lot better than us. Going full Ross Lyon isn’t an option but at least take something from them.

Put $1mil on the table and give it to anybody that’s coached under Ross Lyon or Justin Longmuir and can teach our mob some defensive structure.
We might need a bit of extra soft cap space....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Christ this thread is just full of strawman arguments, false equivalences, and shifting goalposts by people who have arbitrarily picked a side of either Clarko good/bad. So painful to read.

It's possible to acknowledge we don't have a great list while also believing we should be performing better than we are, and people should be able to legitimately question the game plan without 10 posters jumping down their throat.
Conversely, the chicken little and over the top emotive doom posting is similarly short sighted and just as tiresome.

Neither "He'S oNLy beEn HeRE fIvE MINutEs" or "CLARKO IS COOKED SACK HIM NOW" comments add anything to the conversation so just take it to the DM's ffs or make a dedicated argument thread where you can snidely snipe each other.

Clarko is by far the best person to get us out of this hole, but he is also arguably under-delivering on expectations thus far. The reluctance to want to admit that is understandable though.

Christ this thread is just full of strawman arguments, false equivalences, and shifting goalposts by people who have arbitrarily picked a side of either Clarko good/bad. So painful to read.

It's possible to acknowledge we don't have a great list while also believing we should be performing better than we are, and people should be able to legitimately question the game plan without 10 posters jumping down their throat.
Conversely, the chicken little and over the top emotive doom posting is similarly short sighted and just as tiresome.

Neither "He'S oNLy beEn HeRE fIvE MINutEs" or "CLARKO IS COOKED SACK HIM NOW" comments add anything to the conversation so just take it to the DM's ffs or make a dedicated argument thread where you can snidely snipe each other.

Clarko is by far the best person to get us out of this hole, but he is also arguably under-delivering on expectations thus far. The reluctance to want to admit that is understandable though.

Agree. Clarko is under delivering. By how much is unclear but his old club is a good comparison based on list profile.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great post

What happens at the end of the year if the second half is the same or worse than the first half?

Does the club just saddle up and keep going with what it has or will there be changes?

I think the club is underestimating the supporter base if they think everyone is just happy to stump up money and turn up and watch the unwatchable.

I thought Clarko was the answer, but it seems like we now have regressed in a big way and there are more questions than answers.

Clarko is the best option we could have chosen from any available coaches out there. He has NOTHING to work with.

Consider this.

Players lost to the club from last year (with replacements in brackets)
McKay (WDawson)
Goldstein (Goad)
Ziebell (Hardeman)
Thomas (Duursma)
Cunnington (McKercher)

Only McKercher has made us better.

Now to the players we DO have that aren't playing and why they'd help:

Goater - speed, skill, athleticism. Our biggest injury loss. By far.
Logue - can't come back quickly enough. We are doing spare parts in the backline at the moment and if it wasn't for Charlie we'd be 3-4 goals worse per game. Grif will greatly help.
CCJ - Had some serviceable games for us. Could have at the very least crashed a few packs and helped take a defender or two away from Larkey.
Simpkin - has had an injury interrupted season. Seemed to be in good form before the Webster hit. Had that not happened, his experience and some improved form would have greatly helped. A shadow of the player he was last year.

I'll state those names again, all together:
McKay
Goldstein
Ziebell
Thomas
Cunnington
Goater
Logue
CCJ
Simpkin

That's a significant collective loss in skill, structure and experience. It will take a while to recover from that.

In the meantime we have guys like Fisher, Tucker, Shiels and Stephens trying to fill the gaps. Only one of those guys (Fisher) has worked out so far.

We are left with some horribly out of form or underperforming, under-pressure players, and a bunch of kids who haven't built endurance, experience or strength yet. Three teenagers (Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher) have been carrying a massive load of work and expectations so far. Hopefully it doesn't break them.

In short, I don't think our current predicament is due to the head coach underperforming.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens at the end of the year if the second half is the same or worse than the first half?

Does the club just saddle up and keep going with what it has or will there be changes?

I think the club is underestimating the supporter base if they think everyone is just happy to stump up money and turn up and watch the unwatchable.

I thought Clarko was the answer, but it seems like we now have regressed in a big way and there are more questions than answers.
Every chance it will be unless we have one hell of a bonanza in the mid season draft.

I would expect the midfield to become a bit closer knit with some more game time together and as our younger players get stronger.

Every chance it will be unless we have one hell of a bonanza in the mid season draft.

I would expect the midfield to become a bit closer knit with some more game time together and as our younger players get stronger.
This will ultimately be a good thing as long as the players survive this process mentally and get some help from time to time. The next trade period will be vital to getting those young guys, plus LDU who is not young any more, some help. A Jordan Dawson style recruitment would be really handy between now and next season.

Heath reckons clarko is the right man to fix the club, have it running like it’s supposed to, setting everything behind the scenes. Doesn’t think Clarkson will be the premiership coach

Says his brother had no help from both Ben’s. May have been the only presidents/ceo’s to not go up to QLD.

A separate thought I had recently was, I wonder how either * or gws would have tracked with Clarkson out for a year if he was coaching one of them? GWS probably less impacted due to systems in place. But I don’t think any club wouldn’t have consequences if they endured a loss to a coach, let a lone a young developing team.

Our frustration is probably more to do with seeing Clarkson play players who we have all witness collectively play really poorly for long periods of time, or see him try said players in positions we know they’re just not up for. Again, purely because how much longer we’ve kept players like Scott, Stephenson, Jy, Lmac, Corr and Zuurhar under a microscope

Malthouse is senile. He is a stubborn, conservative reactionary little man with a neat moustache. Like a games master at a mid-tier boys private school in the 1930s. Carlton got him to win a flag, and he started out saying “I don’t see how we’ll lose a game”. He was delusional, with dementia probably already setting in.

He played his boundary line style with an average list and refused to adapt.

Has Clarko said anything except that we’re shit and it’s gonna take time? He’s also nothing like Malthouse - he’s much more intelligent and he has adapted to the modern game. They’re not comparable.

Clarko is here to build. Malthouse went there to win a flag. Also, we’re literally 20 games in.

Read Rick’s blog. The coach knows what he is doing.

Ok.

The Malthouse reference wasn’t so much about comparing Clarko to Malthouse, but referencing a previously successful coach who tried to implement stale or unsuccessful tactics that didn’t work.

Their team was actually better under Ratten, which is also a strange irony.

Clarko has never said we are sh.t, to a point his ramblings post and pre game about small wins and building make no sense anymore, to Bigfooty nuffies like me or actual experts.

The fact Northball didn’t work (it was a total failure) and we have moved away from it, surely already shows this isn’t all going to plan.

Yes, the list he has been given is crap, but it’s not that crap we are this far off a win, let alone building towards anything substantial.

Something needs to give and the first thing is accepting we are going no where and are building nothing presently, apart from a losing culture with another group of talented youngsters and complete disenchantment with players we can’t afford to lose.

Last edited:
Our frustration is probably more to do with seeing Clarkson play players who we have all witness collectively play really poorly for long periods of time, or see him try said players in positions we know they’re just not up for. Again, purely because how much longer we’ve kept players like Scott, Stephenson, Jy, Lmac, Corr and Zuurhar under a microscope

I have pretty much had a foot in this camp, however almost everytime one of these underperforming players was finally dropped the replacement hasnt done much better, i have come around to thinking the list is just in a worse state than i suspected. Maybe clarko suspected that allready?

Ok.

The Malthouse reference wasn’t so much about comparing Clarko to Malthouse, but referencing a previously successful coach who tried to implement stale or unsuccessful tactics that didn’t work.

Their team was actually better under Ratten, which is also a strange irony.

Clarko has never said we are sh.t, to a point his ramblings post and pre game about small wins and building make no sense anymore, to Bigfooty nuffies like me or actual experts.

The fact Northball didn’t work (it was a total failure) and we have moved away from it, surely already shows this isn’t all going to plan.

Yes, the list he has been given is crap, but it’s not that crap we are this far off a win, let alone building towards anything substantial.

Something needs to give and the first thing is accepting we are going no where and are building nothing presently, apart from a losing culture with another group of talented youngsters and complete disenchantment with players we can’t afford to lose.
We definitely are not building a losing culture, it was built a long time ago.

Fwd line definately needs a fwd that can brting the ball to ground and a quality small. Oyptherwise it will just continue rebounding like it has been, backline could be settled later in year which gives us time to see tge midfield develop.

The skills turnovers iam more worried about, even something badic like kick to kick will fall down if players cannot execute basic skills.

I feel like in our good patches lately when we do score, we've actually been pulling off 'Northball', but quite a few of our turnovers happen because we're trying to move it too quickly too. Then when we are scored against because of those turnovers, the boys will get cold feet and become too indecisive - exhausting options and thus allowing for more turnovers. It's a self-fulfilling spiral of excessive caution.

The team often struggles to collectively feel out the pressure and slow down or speed up accordingly. I don't think it was ever meant to be manic movement at all times, they will need to build trust and synergy between them and learn what to do in each potential situation, when is best to take their opportunities; i.e. experience.

I feel like in our good patches lately when we do score, we've actually been pulling off 'Northball', but quite a few of our turnovers happen because we're trying to move it too quickly too. Then when we are scored against because of those turnovers, the boys will get cold feet and become too indecisive - exhausting options and thus allowing for more turnovers. It's a self-fulfilling spiral of excessive caution.

The team often struggles to collectively feel out the pressure and slow down or speed up accordingly. I don't think it was ever meant to be manic movement at all times, they will need to build trust and synergy between them and learn what to do in each potential situation, when is best to take their opportunities; i.e. experience.
Yeah this is more the case than northball not working.

The fact we are learning to move the ball slowly and carefully as well is a good thing.

Yeah this is more the case than northball not working.

The fact we are learning to move the ball slowly and carefully as well is a good thing.
ball speed is real speed, if you take a fraction more time when you have possession to steady before disposal ( assuming you have time) the play wont be slowed down by much, no players can run faster than a kick in flight and this is where you really open up the oppo. then you need chains of clean possession and another clean disposal, the handling part doesn't have to be so manic, use the ball speed as the weapon.

ball speed is real speed, if you take a fraction more time when you have possession to steady before disposal ( assuming you have time) the play wont be slowed down by much, no players can run faster than a kick in flight and this is where you really open up the oppo. then you need chains of clean possession and another clean disposal, the handling part doesn't have to be so manic, use the ball speed as the weapon.
When opposition sides get a run on we panic and rarely hold the ball and slow the game down. That's what i was referring to. We didn't do it much early in the year but seem to be doing it more now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back