All Aker Stuff - New Merged Thread

Should Akermanis be traded at the end of the year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jason Akermanis - Thank You!

John said:
That is a matter of perception. When Jason was originaly dropped Vossy was visibly uneasy. In the interviews I have seen and heard this past week he has been speaking with ease. He has not once looked or sounded nervous but confident in all his statements. I believe that Michael Voss has been superb this week. He is surely beyond stupid comments like the one today when a so called Lions supporter called him a "Mathews stooge." Just remember who works for News Limited. Micheal Voss writes a column for a rival, and IMO, superior media organisation.

I also think perception is a funny thing.At work the otehr night, someone said whats he done wrong.I tried to explain, they were baffled to th epenalty for the crime.Everyone thinks differently.

I know I would prefer he not be an abuser of substances or thief or basher.We have been lucky in that way haven't we.

Grimreepah said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jimmy
He has not bashed anyone, he has not smashed his car, he does not drink or do drugs.
This seems to be the current catch cry for what now constitutes a decent human being. I must be sure to mention it in my next job interview.:p

I'm not sure how this part of my post only from another thread got quoted here Grim, and whether your response is only in jest, but it is worth remembering Aker's adversary in this whole saga once "bashed" someone behind play in what many consider the most cowardly act ever in AFL. He "king hit" little Neville Bruns and badly broke his jaw. He was charged and convicted by police with common assault. He brought the game into disrepute and many people wanted him banned for life. Yet even Leigh Matthews was forgiven and allowed to continue his career and be recognised as one of the games greats. Most ironic given the current situation :(

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Matthews
Retirement
The 1985 season was Matthews' last. During the season he struck Geelong player Neville Bruns in an off-the-ball incident, breaking Bruns' jaw. As this was before the use of video evidence to report players, and the officiating umpires missed the incident, no report was laid. However, after much public outcry, the VFL launched an investigation and subsequently deregistered Matthews for four weeks. He was also charged by the police and fined $1000 - this was a major factor in his retirement. Hawthorn finished third on the ladder with fifteen wins and six losses and a draw. Hawthorn were still able to make the Grand Final, but lost by 78 points. Matthews made a tearful farewell on his teammates shoulders.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
I'm not sure how this part of my post only from another thread got quoted here Grim, and whether your response is only in jest, but it is worth remembering Aker's adversary in this whole saga once "bashed" someone behind play in what many consider the most cowardly act ever in AFL. He "king hit" little Neville Bruns and badly broke his jaw. He was charged and convicted by police with common assault. He brought the game into disrepute and many people wanted him banned for life. Yet even Leigh Matthews was forgiven and allowed to continue his career and be recognised as one of the games greats. Most ironic given the current situation :(

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Matthews
Retirement
The 1985 season was Matthews' last. During the season he struck Geelong player Neville Bruns in an off-the-ball incident, breaking Bruns' jaw. As this was before the use of video evidence to report players, and the officiating umpires missed the incident, no report was laid. However, after much public outcry, the VFL launched an investigation and subsequently deregistered Matthews for four weeks. He was also charged by the police and fined $1000 - this was a major factor in his retirement. Hawthorn finished third on the ladder with fifteen wins and six losses and a draw. Hawthorn were still able to make the Grand Final, but lost by 78 points. Matthews made a tearful farewell on his teammates shoulders.
So therefore in a past life because Mathews commited an appaling act of thuggery, no arguement from me there, Aker and his supporters are now allowed to trash the Lions because they have the high moral ground. There would be a lot of young people in this life who have done stupid things who are by your definition tainted for life. Some of you had not better go in this direction as I have heard stories as well. As for you not being a troll Jimmy. To be honest you pop in on hit and miss missions a fair bit.

I will also say that Micheal Voss has been nothing but honourable in this whole affair and his interviews this week not ONCE where personal towards Jason Akermanis and to suggest so is unbecoming. Micheal Voss is a champion bloke FULL STOP.

campbell said:
I also think perception is a funny thing.At work the otehr night, someone said whats he done wrong.I tried to explain, they were baffled to th epenalty for the crime.Everyone thinks differently.

I know I would prefer he not be an abuser of substances or thief or basher.We have been lucky in that way haven't we.

campbell. This will be my last correspondance with you. When you are asked this question again these are the answers if you wish to use them.
1. After the 1st game of the season we played an away game at one of the toughest venues in the AFL at Kardinia park against a team coming off winning the preseason cup and and one of the favs for the flag. We lost and in his column that week he criticised teh coaching staff.
2. In his column prior to the Sydney game he gave away match up in the same column. We do not need to have the reigining premiers given publicly our game plan.
3. All players were asked by the captain of the team to make no comment about team issues in the week leading up to the game against Hawthorn. he did.
4. He allowed his brother via his email address to use his name and call the coach, who if we like it or not is the public face of the Lions, to be called a derogatory name.
5. After a form of truce was called with an agreement, as was my my understanding, not to mention team matters he stated that he was only a 5% chance of being at the Lions next year and that was his choice. that was a team matter and the players were insulted that a fellow individual did not want to play with them.

campbell. I am very very tired of getting the feeling that you have not a positive thing to say about Brisbane. I surrender. You have worn me down. I have no idea why am debating these points with you as your posts are very very clever in the way that they are constructed and I think they are made for old fools like me to at first debate and ask questions and then get frustrated to the point of heart attack. If this gets me forced of a site that I think has some great people on with great ideas then so be it but you are the most negative person who supposedly supports a team I have ever ever ever come across in my entire life, when questioned you get emotive to the point of boredom, you use the "he has not taken drugs, biffed people" etc argument and that is an insult to players who have not done those things but play to the best of their ability for the club, you go onto the main board and trash us and cry when trashed back. I will stop there. I surrender.

John said:
So therefore in a past life because Mathews commited an appaling act of thuggery, no arguement from me there, Aker and his supporters are now allowed to trash the Lions because they have the high moral ground. There would be a lot of young people in this life who have done stupid things who are by your definition tainted for life. Some of you had not better go in this direction as I have heard stories as well. As for you not being a troll Jimmy. To be honest you pop in on hit and miss missions a fair bit.
John, please take a Bex and relax a bit. Yes I have previously posted on this thread but deliberately refrained from doing so recently when things got very emotional among Lions supporters.

What I did was post a genuine contribution under a separate thread yesterday http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5507611#post5507611 For whatever reason Grimreepah took a selective quote out of context from that post and used it on this thread. All I'm doing now is responding to what he said. Anyway my point to you is simply that Matthews made a big mistake late in his career, was forgiven, moved on to be recognised for his unique contribution to the game and became a highly successful coach. His mistake was far more serious than Aker's.

campbell said:
Vossy in my all time favourite Lion,I have photos of him with my kids thoughout their growing up.
But I too wish he would just be quiet on this matter.To come out the other day and say it was for onfield performance was totally wrong.I just think we are like sinking the boot in to justify what we have done maybe.

I hope Aka has a strong metnal outlook, as this is geting personal in things we as a club are saying, he has not retorted or replied to anything personal.I hope this doesn't become a mental health issue,a weaker person it could.

One last thing, amazingly to play like he has when he has needed shoulder surgery,wow.

go away troll

John said:
campbell. This will be my last correspondance with you. When you are asked this question again these are the answers if you wish to use them.
1. After the 1st game of the season we played an away game at one of the toughest venues in the AFL at Kardinia park against a team coming off winning the preseason cup and and one of the favs for the flag. We lost and in his column that week he criticised teh coaching staff.
2. In his column prior to the Sydney game he gave away match up in the same column. We do not need to have the reigining premiers given publicly our game plan.
3. All players were asked by the captain of the team to make no comment about team issues in the week leading up to the game against Hawthorn. he did.
4. He allowed his brother via his email address to use his name and call the coach, who if we like it or not is the public face of the Lions, to be called a derogatory name.
5. After a form of truce was called with an agreement, as was my my understanding, not to mention team matters he stated that he was only a 5% chance of being at the Lions next year and that was his choice. that was a team matter and the players were insulted that a fellow individual did not want to play with them.

campbell. I am very very tired of getting the feeling that you have not a positive thing to say about Brisbane. I surrender. You have worn me down. I have no idea why am debating these points with you as your posts are very very clever in the way that they are constructed and I think they are made for old fools like me to at first debate and ask questions and then get frustrated to the point of heart attack. If this gets me forced of a site that I think has some great people on with great ideas then so be it but you are the most negative person who supposedly supports a team I have ever ever ever come across in my entire life, when questioned you get emotive to the point of boredom, you use the "he has not taken drugs, biffed people" etc argument and that is an insult to players who have not done those things but play to the best of their ability for the club, you go onto the main board and trash us and cry when trashed back. I will stop there. I surrender.

lady lawrence, please ban campbell

he is a troll with no purpose other than to frustrate other posters and i have no doubt that he is not a brisbane fan whatsoever

he pours fire across an already fiery debate - it is deliberate and calculated and I am completely sick of it

this is the lion's den and yet we allow this troll to constantly...constantly talk us down on our own board

myself and others have tried to take him to task but John is right, it wears you down

i would hate to stop posting here but I can honestly say that campbell's presence if making the thought of moving on appealing

i am not the best or most prolific poster on this board but I try to be thoughtful, occasionally humouous and generally respectful (trolls unashamedly excepted)

can other regular posters please add their thoughts on this topic - if I am wide of the mark then please tell me why and I will accept the collective decision

but if we are in agreeance then LL, can you please ban that troll as soon as you possiboly can

Anyone else read the blogs on the Courier web site. Very diverse comments probably 50/50 each way, they have been very selective in which ones they publish. Every one has an opinion thats for sure. Leigh actually doe's get some support and there are some interesting ways people look at things. Worth a read actually

Campbell has as much right to an opinion as anyone else on this board. If you don't like the opinions then simply use the ignore feature, don't respond etc etc. Just because that opinion is diametrically opposed to yours does not mean it is wrong.

The Aker issue has stirred up some very very strong emotions in all of us. We are all hurting at the moment and lashing out wherever we can.

Hey remember when Carey was on the market and Vossy got misquoted or taken out of context about supporting Carey's move to the Lions. I walked up to Michael Voss and handed him my membership card. Lead to an interesting discussion but that's a whole other story.

Point is sometimes we can feel one player reflects a whole team and it takes a while for our focus to shift. Luckily for me we had a game on Saturday night and helped me focus.

Anyhow, the singling out and attacking of Campbell is to stop immediately. No more warnings.

I will not continue these discussions on the board where we are to discuss The Brisbane Lions not each other. If you have an issue about this take it up with me via a PM.

Lady Lawrence said:
Campbell has as much right to an opinion as anyone else on this board. If you don't like the opinions then simply use the ignore feature, don't respond etc etc. Just because that opinion is diametrically opposed to yours does not mean it is wrong.

The Aker issue has stirred up some very very strong emotions in all of us. We are all hurting at the moment and lashing out wherever we can.

Hey remember when Carey was on the market and Vossy got misquoted or taken out of context about supporting Carey's move to the Lions. I walked up to Michael Voss and handed him my membership card. Lead to an interesting discussion but that's a whole other story.

Point is sometimes we can feel one player reflects a whole team and it takes a while for our focus to shift. Luckily for me we had a game on Saturday night and helped me focus.

Anyhow, the singling out and attacking of Campbell is to stop immediately. No more warnings.

I will not continue these discussions on the board where we are to discuss The Brisbane Lions not each other. If you have an issue about this take it up with me via a PM.

Was my post 654 a personal attack? If so what was personal?

to John,

re your points. I did explain the above what you said to this staff member.They being non AFL had not a clue what the fuss was about.I think we AFL people are very very passionate about all things to do with our team, whereas others sports seem not to be the same.

My thoughts tho to your points.I am trying to be nice and explain myself here.

1.1. After the 1st game of the season we played an away game at one of the toughest venues in the AFL at Kardinia park against a team coming off winning the preseason cup and and one of the favs for the flag. We lost and in his column that week he criticised teh coaching staff.

I agree he should not have done this, but it was round 1. He wasn't alone in the critism.Others in the media, on Fox said exactly the same thing.Something about the midfield rotation or lack there of.we were killed in the midfield that day.We had 1 ruck with 3 playing reserves.We had a shocker.

I remember that.In his actual column nothing was said.lethal was angry that the following day stuff was said.But if I remember correctly even on this board,it was thought a normal footy person could have said the exact same stuff. No match ups were given, no critical specific stuff was given.Just the normal stuff we read in the paper on most weeks.Especially if you read the Friday stuff on match ups what to expect, like in Inside Football.

He was dropped for that one.

As for the brother, I can't tell my sisters to do squat I am afraid. He wore a fine for that one,even though he was in a meeting at the time it occured.

last weeks, I still can't see the problem with the article.I know you do, and thats okay, thats your perogative.

I think I see things differently from others, as I happen to have 2 sons who could fit into this catagory, ie aged same as Lions players.I also work in an environmment whereby I have to see the whole person ie the outcomes of cause and affect on all aspects of that person.I always think how would it be if this was happening to me, how would I cope, how would I deal with things.Young men deal with things differently nowadays to 10 years ago even.Society has evolved.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking we will regret this whole affair one day, whether it be next week or next year.This particular player has on the field been such a superb player for our club, and he still has that playing capacity.

I hope you can understand what I am saying. I am not being negative, its just my thoughts.

Thanks for your well considered reply campbell. I think the issue with the first few points is that it is fine for negative stuff to be said about our team in the media - they don't know the full story and what's happening behind the scenes.

However, it is another story totally for a team member to make those sorts of comments. That has been the whole issue. It's fine for Aker to make comments about any other team but as a team member you respect your teammates to not do the same thing to them.

As for what's been said in the past week, it may not be new however Aker was asked not to do media forays other than those he was contracted to do. Simple really.

And as for Rory, if Aker couldn't trust him then he shouldn't have had access to his email and shouldn't have been able to represent him.

This won't hurt the Lions longterm however it has seriously damaged Aker's prospects. Something he will sadly soon learn.

The 2nd item, is not his doing. His column that particular week had nothing to do with the team in it.So how is a piece written the next day, that happens every week of the season his doing? In Insdie Footy they do this every week.Some weeks they are spot on, I think it just measn that some weeks they luck it in.

I think with the rory thing. Rory was bated. It was the soccer time, the email he replied to was having a go at our code bigtime,,in a nasty way.he should have thought what he replied, but it was a heat of the moment thing, from what was said.We have all done that. Aka has paid the price for that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbell please read my post again. Though I will add we know that Aker is nearly 30. How old is Rory?? How long are they allowed to act like children?

kimp said:
Campbell please read my post again. Though I will add we know that Aker is nearly 30. How old is Rory?? How long are they allowed to act like children?

Welll, we are talking about men here.Sometimes all their lives, I am afraid.Especially if they have fragmented harsh upbringings.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
please take a Bex and relax a bit. http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5507611#post5507611

His mistake was far more serious than Aker's.

I had that said to me the other day. Will you also mention reds under the bed? Who are you Jimmy?

So what is your point? That post by you was on the Thanks Aker thread and you turned it into a post on how Akermanis is a martyr due to Mathews punching Bruns and that Aker aint taken drugs or raped Kittems or some such saintly behavior. At least I have been honest enough and not
contribute until I can cool down and remember the good old days. Of course Akermanis has never done anything that bad but he trashed the team and broke the rules layed down. What part of that do you not understand? Now I will l head off and take my Bex. You can have a Vincents and Coke.

Dear John,

What started out as a light comedy has now turned into a serious tragedy. Lighten up for heaven's sake. It's only a game, not life and death.

Please re-read what I have posted and stop imagining someone is out to get you.

Forget the Bex and have a stiff scotch intead :thumbsu:

Lady Lawrence said:

I agree.

Campbell is firmly in the Aka camp, as are a few other posters on the Lions board.

So their posts are emotional and to many, irrational.....BIG DEAL!!!!

Footy is an emotional and often irrational experience. How many of you sit there and coolly and logically disect every kick, handball and tackle when you're there watching our guys go around on the field from week to week????

I sure as hell don't...I get wound up, emotional and downright irrational every game, every week.

This is an internet board for expressing opinions......as far as I am concerned, perfect construction of logical syllogisms, premises and conclusions is not a prerequisite to having, and firmly holding onto an opinion.

FWIW, I disagree with a lot of, if not most of Campbell's opinions on this , the "Aka" thread but I have no problem at all with those opinions being expressed.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Dear John,

What started out as a light comedy has now turned into a serious tragedy. Lighten up for heaven's sake. It's only a game, not life and death

Please re-read what I have posted and stop imagining someone is out to get you.

Actually, John, I agree with him.

You can't always "prove" others wrong....especially when discussing an emotional issue like this one.....I'm starting to get a little concerned with the obvious exasperation you're beginning to display in recent posts.

Jimmy here doesn't seem like a bad bloke really, so I'd take his advice and indeed, lighten up a little.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Forget the Bex and have a stiff scotch intead :thumbsu:

Get thee behind me Satan.

I'm still trying to get over the 2 botts of red from last Saturday week.;)

Hey John, weren't you into the Coopers's ale?

campbell said:
Vossy in my all time favourite Lion,I have photos of him with my kids thoughout their growing up.
But I too wish he would just be quiet on this matter.To come out the other day and say it was for onfield performance was totally wrong.I just think we are like sinking the boot in to justify what we have done maybe.

Irony :rolleyes:
What do we do ban all interviews, for the whole club?
Can anyone please tell me the last time they heard an interview with anyone representing our club, without a mention of one particular individual.

If anyone does hear one please let me know, it will be a breath of fresh air.

Lady Lawrence said:

I have no problem whatsoever with people disagreeing with me or others - some people tell me my theories are crap and some say they are not...this is the hallmark of a healthy well-moderated debate!

I only have a problem when a poster deliberately seeks to cause friction and unrest amongst the supporters of a club for the purposes of amusement of god-knows-what agenda

this comment seriously trivialises the hundreds of posts and hours of effort spent by the posters on this board to explain their objections to campbell's behaviour

that effort has never been reicprocated by campbell...this is not my opinion, this is a self-evident fact

i dont care about campbell's opinions on Aker - love him or hate him... whatever you want to do is fine with me

to be honest - I have a fair degree of both emotions for the guy so I can certainly see both sides

but this is not about Aker - it is about why a troll is allowed to continue a sustained smear campaign against the captain, the coach and the club on their own home turf?

what makes it worse is that it is all done under the guise of being a brisbane supporter - in my opinion, Campbell has demonstrated that he is an Aker supporter rather than a Lions supporter

he has consistently looked for ways to slag off the club - i mean i can talk about how good Vossy is without slagging Aker...I can talk about how great Leigh is without slagging Aker

the question I have is: why cant campbell discuss ANY issue without slagging off captain and coach of the greatest team in the modern era?

in my opinion the answer is: he is a troll who is laughing his ass off that he is causing turmoil and unrest on this board

I believe it your role to 'moderate' this behaviour for the good of the OVERWHELMING majority of your posters and I believe you are extending priviliedges to Campbell that his behaviour in recent weeks does not deserve

his consistent sniping disappoints me incredibly but not as much as the moderator's steadfast refusal to bring him into line

I will continue to call a troll and troll - I have no control over your interpretation of that...

in my mind I am simply trying to enforce the first BF commandment...

The Ten Commandments of BigFooty
(Beta Version - March 20, 2006)

1. Keep it civil. Don't bag other people just for the hell of it. Keep your posts respectful of other people. Don't create new user accounts just to back yourself up in an argument or bully other users.

...and of course the zero tolerance annoucnement at the top of this board which led me to beleive we did not accept trolls on this board stirring up the locals...

Appleyard said:
This has my backing. I would have to consider the seriousness of the trolling or abuse before banning a user from BigFooty entirely, but banning from the Lions board would be quicker than you can blink.

it appears as though we have a difference of opinion LL about the suitability of Campbell's behaviour - in fact I would say they are diametrically opposed

I will be interested to see if my rights to differ from your opinion are protected as doggedly as campbell's have been to date

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back