All Australian Team 2016

Which player is the most stiff to miss the AA squad?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Friggin' ell. Carlton finish in the bottom third of the ladder but their supporters believe they have 4 (including Gibbs) of the best performed 40 players of the year?
Makes his performance even better, played in a lowly side and virtually carried the mid field for the second half of the year. Stats don't lie.

Well good question Teddy.

282425_5545b4d2ee07f232d8287527763d773e.jpeg

Have 2 players with the same name ever made the team before?

Same surname? Yes
Same full name? No

1979 - Kelvin Moore and Peter Moore
2002 - Chris Johnson and Brad Johnson
2007 - Brad Johnson and Steve Johnson; Jonathan Brown and Campbell Brown, Kane Cornes and Chad Cornes
2014 - Nick Smith and Brodie Smith

Surprisingly no Harveys overlap (Mark, Robert or Brent).

Can't agree there. My tip for the Kevin Sheedy is Cogs. Been our best midfielder all year. His and Dyl's numbers are almost mirror image...

Both average 28 disposals, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 4 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 5 clearances
Dyl, averages 4 marks per game, Cogs, 3
Dyl has kicked 13:13 to Cogs 11:10

The real difference though is Dyl averages only 3 tackles a game while Cogs averages 6
Cogs does a job on an oppo midfielder most weeks, takes him out of the game as well as getting it himself.

Dyl has been good - Cogs has been better.

The Giants player most unlucky though, was Zac Williams off half back. Had a stellar year and deserved to at least have been in the 40.

Williams desperately unlucky but a very tough year for defence. Enright, Laird, Shaw, Docherty and Simpson all put in fantastic years, while you could say 1 type of defender missed out in each spot (Williams in the attacking defender, Wood in that Enright mould, Grundy & Morris for the taller key defenders). Williams, Grundy and Morris probably all wouldn't make the 22 though so it's not a huuuuuuge slight (but yes, they do have very strong claims).

#schoey4AA
deserves it TBH, had him in ultimate footy (ages attempt of fantasy footy) so i watched him every week and was by far your best player if you take out kennedy (who i also had).

victorian fans and media won't vote him in tho

So Schofield > McGovern, huh?

Shows how much stock I put in that table.
alot of the names in that table are the ones you expect to take the second or 3rd best Fwd. Most of whom you would expect to have less of an impact than the Main fwds.
Defence is too team oriented to be able to attribute a goal to a singular defender. A significant rise in bags were kicked against Richmond this year.

Intercept possessions/marks/spoils seem to be better areas to look at. I want my Key Defender to be stopping access to as many entries as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intercept possessions/marks/spoils seem to be better areas to look at. I want my Key Defender to be stopping access to as many entries as possible.
Those should be the primary stats, however disposal efficiency should also come into it. You don't want your KPD turning the ball over immediately after the intercept.

If Greene doesn't make it onto a HFF i don't know what to say, given the selectors are no picking a team to play, based on where they actually play during the season. 21.5 touches a game, 1.9 goals a game (39 in total) and 1.1 goal assist a game (24 total good for 3rd overall).
If those are stats of an all australian then where is boomers name? Almost identical

Robbie Gray's closer. Boomer is slightly down on Greene in every category except uncontested possessions and kicks.
Robbie gray clearly ahead but more stating boomers name never got a mention in the squad yet greene did boomer also way ahead of effective disposals and less clangers which in a forward half role would be pretty important

Makes his performance even better, played in a lowly side and virtually carried the mid field for the second half of the year. Stats don't lie.
Yes they do. If the team was selected based merely on stats, Cyril wouldn't be in the top 100.

In the second half of the year, Carlton won one solitary game. What was he carrying them to, because it certainly wasn't wins...

Yes they do. If the team was selected based merely on stats, Cyril wouldn't be in the top 100.

In the second half of the year, Carlton won one solitary game. What was he carrying them to, because it certainly wasn't wins...

Actually champion data just released their team of the year which is purely based off statistics and Rioli is selected in the forward line..

Back