B: D. Rampe, L. Barry, C. Mills
HB: D. Caroll, G. Strang, J. McVeigh
C: S. Crawford, P. Kelly, I. Smith
HF: J. Hird, W. Carey, T. Daniher
FF: T. Hawkins, B. Mohr, L. Breust
R: B. McGregor, L. Hayes, H. Bunton Snr
I: B. Kirk, J. Longmire, N. Davies, B. Brownless
Sub: M.Maclure

Very strong side for a non-football state, especially the forward line (and midfield).

Gulden, Green (maybe Heeney?) to potentially force their way in over the next 5-10 years.
Great side few little weak spots but the stars are as good as it gets.

Interested to see peoples all time SOO sides. I will attempt Western Australia pre warning there will be bias to the 1985 and beyond players.

Western Australia

Worsfold Glass D Marshall
Mcpharlin Rance J Mcgovern
Cable Black Matera
J Krakeour Kennedy P Krakeour
Lecras Franklin P Farmer

Cox Cousins Fyfe

H Taylor Cripps Kerr Glendenning
Stephen Michael would be my first picked.

Brad Hardie and Gary Buckinara played some of their best footy in the black swan.

Other's I'd nominate are Moss, Peake, Malaxos and Wiley.

Interested to see peoples all time SOO sides. I will attempt Western Australia pre warning there will be bias to the 1985 and beyond players.

Western Australia

Worsfold Glass D Marshall
Mcpharlin Rance J Mcgovern
Cable Black Matera
J Krakeour Kennedy P Krakeour
Lecras Franklin P Farmer

Cox Cousins Fyfe

H Taylor Cripps Kerr Glendenning

Worsfold? Not sure he would be in the first 3 greatest SOO sides. Great leader and good player but no star. Mckenna, Wirrapunda, Hart, Hardie or superior players.

My attempt:

Very strong side for a non-football state, especially the forward line (and midfield).

Gulden, Green (maybe Heeney?) to potentially force their way in over the next 5-10 years.
Alex Jesaulenko if you are including ACT players like Hird.

Where are they playing and who for?
Jackovich vs Rance and Mcgovern
Sumich vs Kennedy Franklin
Winmar vs Matera and Cable
I would take jackovich over McGovern any day he use play on and hold his own against Carey Ablett Lockett . Sumich probably fair enough . winmar definitely should be in there could play anywhere forward on a wing midfield or halfback great player

I would take jackovich over McGovern any day he use play on and hold his own against Carey Ablett Lockett . Sumich probably fair enough . winmar definitely should be in there could play anywhere forward on a wing midfield or halfback great player
Winmar over the krakeours?

South Australia

F: Darren Jarman, Ken Farmer, Matthew Pavlich
HF: Malcolm Blight, Barrie Robran, Lindsay Head
C: Tom MacKenzie, Russell Ebert, Craig Bradley
HB: Dan Moriarty, Walter Scott, Corey Enright
B: Gavin Wanganeen, Ian McKay, Bernie Smith
R: Tom Leahy, Mark Ricciuto, Bob Quinn
I: Rick Davies, Bob Hank, Jim Deane, John Platten
Coach: Jack Oatey

Queensland's is probably the weakest of the 6 states.

B M. Ashcroft M. Michael J. Harbrow
HB S. Gilbert H. Andrews D. Merrett
C J. Akermanis M. Voss R. Copeland
HF D. Zorko N. Riewoldt G. Crosisca
F D. Hale J. Dunstall C. Cockatoo-Collins
Foll C. Keating D. Beams S. McIvor

Simon Black and Charlie Cameron were born in QLD but recruited from WA.
Charlie Cameron lived in Queensland for the first 17 years of his life and was a member of the Brisbane Lions Academy when he was 15/16 - he's most definitely a Queenslander in any State of Origin criteria. Also, I reckon I've already seen enough from Will Ashcroft to put him in the team ahead of a guy like Robert Copeland and surely Kurt Tippett or Charlie Dixon get the nod as the forward who can chop out Clark Keating in the ruck instead of David Hale. I'd go more like this:

B: J.Harbrow M.Michael D.Merrett
HB: M.Ashcroft H.Andrews K.Coleman
C: J.Akermanis M.Voss S.McIvor
HF: D.Zorko N.Riewoldt C.Cameron
F: K.Tippett J.Dunstall C.Cockatoo-Collins
Fol: C.Keating D.Beams W.Ashcroft
Int: G.Crosisca D.Armitage B.Keays C.Dixon

Still a few weaker positions but probably more competitive with the additions of players like Will Ashcroft, Keidean Coleman and Tippett/Dixon. We're currently experiencing a boom in highly talented juniors from Queensland with with top 10 picks in Ashcroftx2, Walter, Read and Lombard so I'd suggest this team will change again in a few years from now. It's an interesting time in the history of Queensland footy because we've had a really strong boom period in the early 2000s, a pretty good period lately with the Lions and perhaps the best period ever is just about to occur with both Queensland teams being competitive and producing high end talent through the academies.

Charlie Cameron lived in Queensland for the first 17 years of his life and was a member of the Brisbane Lions Academy when he was 15/16 - he's most definitely a Queenslander in any State of Origin criteria. Also, I reckon I've already seen enough from Will Ashcroft to put him in the team ahead of a guy like Robert Copeland and surely Kurt Tippett or Charlie Dixon get the nod as the forward who can chop out Clark Keating in the ruck instead of David Hale. I'd go more like this:

B: J.Harbrow M.Michael D.Merrett
HB: M.Ashcroft H.Andrews K.Coleman
C: J.Akermanis M.Voss S.McIvor
HF: D.Zorko N.Riewoldt C.Cameron
F: K.Tippett J.Dunstall C.Cockatoo-Collins
Fol: C.Keating D.Beams W.Ashcroft
Int: G.Crosisca D.Armitage B.Keays C.Dixon

Still a few weaker positions but probably more competitive with the additions of players like Will Ashcroft, Keidean Coleman and Tippett/Dixon. We're currently experiencing a boom in highly talented juniors from Queensland with with top 10 picks in Ashcroftx2, Walter, Read and Lombard so I'd suggest this team will change again in a few years from now. It's an interesting time in the history of Queensland footy because we've had a really strong boom period in the early 2000s, a pretty good period lately with the Lions and perhaps the best period ever is just about to occur with both Queensland teams being competitive and producing high end talent through the academies.
Yeah you could argue either way with Cameron. He was listed in the bush fire relief match as being from WA but could easily lobby the AFL if he felt otherwise.

Yeah you could argue either way with Cameron. He was listed in the bush fire relief match as being from WA but could easily lobby the AFL if he felt otherwise.
If it was a serious State of Origin competition then Cameron would have represented Queensland. AFL Queensland had no incentive to change a few letters on the back of an All Stars jumper so I reckon this was just a case of Charlie being asked which state he would prefer on the back and he said WA because that's the state he represented in the U18 national championships.

B: Cunningham, Murray, H.Himmelberg
HB: Williams, Buckley, Blakey
C: Gulden, Mills, Heeney
HF: Wicks, Walker, Kennedy
F: Schultz, Hawkins, Finlayson
Foll: Witts, Green, Hopper
Int: Perryman, Campbell, Marshall, Rampe

Not perfect, and the forward line is pretty damn old with Walker and Hawkins in it but this is an okay team.
If where going current no space for Jack Steele ? ahead of hopper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are they playing and who for?
Jackovich vs Rance and Mcgovern
Sumich vs Kennedy Franklin
Winmar vs Matera and Cable

It is not Winmar v Matera v Cable.

Cable was a rover, Matera a wingman and Winmar was more of a centre / ruck rover.

I think you are missing quite a large number of players. Pretty sure footy has been played there for a long time.
Stephen Michael, I hear, was an exceptional player.
Brian Peake was a great SOO performer.

My attempt:

Hirdy is a Canberran, cmon now.

TAS, largely an updated Team of the Century.

Poor Richo has been relegated back to his late career wing position where he almost won a Brownlow.
Jack Riewoldt on the bench shows you how strong this forward line is.

B: Verdun Howell, Tassie Johnson, Grant Birchall
HB: Barry Lawrence, Laurie Nash, Brent Crosswell
C: Rodney Eade, Ian Stewart, Matthew Richardson
HF: Darrel Baldock (c), Royce Hart, Nick Riewoldt (VC)
F: Daryn Cresswell, Peter Hudson, Alastair Lynch
Foll: Percy Jones, John Leedham, Ivor Warne-Smith
Int: Jack Riewoldt, Paul Williams, Michael Roach, Horrie Gorringe
Sub: Darrin Pritchard

TAS, largely an updated Team of the Century

B: Verdun Howell, Tassie Johnson, Grant Birchall
HB: Barry Lawrence, Laurie Nash, Brent Crosswell
C: Rodney Eade, Ian Stewart, Matthew Richardson
HF: Darrel Baldock (c), Royce Hart, Nick Riewoldt (VC)
F: Daryn Cresswell, Peter Hudson, Alastair Lynch
Foll: Percy Jones, John Leedham, Ivor Warne-Smith
Int: Jack Riewoldt, Paul Williams, Michael Roach, Horrie Gorringe
Sub: Darrin Pritchard
Nash moved to Tassie aged 13 or something, qualifies as Victorian under the final set of Origin rules. Likewise, I think Warne-Smith qualifies for NSW.
N Reiwoldt the other way around, moved early (aged 5?) and qualifies as Queenslander.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back