Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

The lack of neck was disturbing. I assumed he was looking to change codes to play League.

For some reason I've had the Music Guys song from Hey Hey running through my head....You can do the Gladstone Small, Gladstone Small.....

I am the Music Man, I come from down your way, and I can play.
What can you play?
I can play the Gladstone Small.

Fuggin hilarious!

Back at it again tomorrow...

Hopefully between 9-12 isn't too bad. lol Caking myself in sunscreen.

Looking forward to your report. If it's as detailed as the last, we're in for a treat.

Enjoy the morning and don't get burned!

Looking forward to your report. If it's as detailed as the last, we're in for a treat.

Enjoy the morning and don't get burned!
Thanks. I'll try not to. Cap. Glasses. Sunscreen. Hopefully I'll be fine. Damn my fair skin. lol

But should be good. First session the team is together, none of this groups stuff.

Thanks. I'll try not to. Cap. Glasses. Sunscreen. Hopefully I'll be fine. Damn my fair skin. lol

But should be good. First session the team is together, none of this groups stuff.

Oh yeah the real training begins tomorrow! Hopefully McInnes gets out there tomorrow.
Also interested to see if JDG spends more time with the midfield group, though I suspect he'll be played predominately forward early in the season.

Yeah and I hear ya about skin. 5 minutes of sun and I'm redder than Holden!

Great, nice & lovely post from you.

That's a first!:tongueoutv1:

I am as deep as the ocean, more complex than a Collingwood salary cap, and have more layers than a matroyshka doll made from onions!

(Ah got ya OA! hehehe)

No it doesn't have to stop you adjudicate with video umpires if the teams aren't set then its a free kick.

You don't allow set up time based off stopping the game too many people automatically look to US sports when thinking zone implementation.

Teams have from the time play stops to it starts again to get back in position, if not its a free kick. Both teams out then free against the team furthest out.

Video can be set up with overlays of ground in 3rds and have a team set up specifically for it with a feed to main umpire (who concentrates on his area only).

This will stop teams pressing down away from their zones as far as they only have limited time to get back in. But won't restrict leading.

Only need any 6 players inside so any player can drop in if person leads out too far etc.

I'm not averse to mandating set numbers of players in zones but worry that the 50m arc's as the field is currently laid out is not the best layout to enforce it in. Maybe do away with the 50m arcs and have lines boundary line to boundary line along the forward and defensive ends of the 50m square would improve that. Allows forward to make longer leads with a degree of safety and doesn't overly impinge players caught at boundary stoppages.

The lack of neck was disturbing. I assumed he was looking to change codes to play League.

For some reason I've had the Music Guys song from Hey Hey running through my head....You can do the Gladstone Small, Gladstone Small.....

He just filling out. Over the break I have been watching some old games on Fox of many teams and its quite surprising when you see players when they are young and how lean they are v later in their careers. Even Gary Ablett Snr looks lean early on.

No I assume they get things wrong just not this stuff. To put it bluntly it’s why they’re better than us and I would frame it as an area for Collingwood to improve their communication as 76 pointed out.

I just reckon that everyone gets something wrong at some point. Provided that it's recognised when it happens, feedback is given and it is rectified, then I reckon that's great.

No one will get things right 100% of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

usual time. I'd say between 9-9:30. Unpredictable, sometimes they can come out bit after 9, sometimes its after 9:30
I am going to try hard to get there Friday, fingers crossed.

Have a read of this, while I work on my report. :)

Love your work Jen. I saw that article on the AFL site and my first thought was that I hoped they hadn’t snuck a session past you. I should never have doubted that you’d be all over it!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

First session for the team as a whole. It was much better seeing them all together rather than training in groups, that's for sure.

I arrived at 8:45, and the boys were already out on the track. Just warming up, so there was nothing to be missed. They didn't start til a bit past 9am.

Players in attendance -

Main group:
  • De Goey
  • IQ
  • Grundy
  • Elliott
  • Bianco
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Wilson
  • Adams
  • Lynch
  • Mayne
  • Macrae
  • Greenwood
  • Kelly
  • Sidebottom
  • Roughy
  • Thomas
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Poulter
  • Murphy
  • WHE
  • Henry
  • Sier
  • Maynard
  • Tohil
  • Mihochek
  • Chugg
  • Madgen

Modifield:
  • Daicos
  • Tyler Brown
  • Ruscoe
  • Rantall
  • McMahon
  • McCreery
  • Ginnivan
  • Cameron

Darcy Moore was absent. It's now revealed that he is recovering from finger surgery. It's probably quite minor. Should be back soon I imagine.
Cal Brown was in and out, I think was doing work inside.

They split off into two groups. Though the modified group had already been doing work since 8:15, so they did their own thing originally. Some of them joined in the main group later on, some of them just finished up their own session before heading inside.​

The kid in training: Jack Briskey.

Was very impressive lining up against Mihochek for a time (more on checkers later...) but if you put Jack and Poulter back to back, you could barely tell a difference. Jack too, you see, has a mullet has well. Both look very similar. Had to tell them apart by their boots eventually lol Or until Poulter finished up with the draftees.
But has a good stretch on him. Nice marking ability and able to go one-on-one with his man. Displayed some promising signs, I felt.​

After doing their usual warm ups, the main group split into their line groups. Then they proceeded to do some drills with a coach at hand. This probably lasted for about 15-20 minutes, then it was into match sim time.

In the first half, Mayne, JT and Elliott were all a stand out. De Goey stared throughout the whole thing, mainly playing midfield. Though he would bop up in the forward line when the ball was there.
Elliott and JT probably got a bunch of goals each.

Jack Henry popped up with some of his own goals in the 2nd half of the match sim.

Finlay Macrae did some impressive stuff with ball in hand. Looked like he was playing on the wing. But he used the ball quite nicely and was quite impressive with his ability to not just get the ball, but dispose of it as well.

I'm not sure what happened with Mihochek, but at some point he came off with some trainers and went inside. Didn't come back. Hopefully just a bit of soreness. Maybe something in a marking contest. I didn't see it happen, so I'm only guessing.

One massive thing I noticed was the ball movement, which you'll be able to see with the videos I will provide. The ball movement was swift and faster than the last 12 months. It gives the forwards a much clear look at the impact coming in, and thus was able to connect onto the scoreboard.
If this is what we're gonna be using, then, better late than never.

Player notes:

• Rantall - Looked quite good, for the time he was out there. Played a little match sim before heading inside.
  • De Goey - Starred today, was in the mix of everything. Played predominantly midfield, which is what we like to see. With some bursts of speed in and out of contests.
  • IQ - Was also impressive originally with his ball use, I think breakout year coming up.
  • Grundy - Was solid, though his kicking wasn't his best today.
  • Elliott - Along with Jordy, Jamie was a sure standout. Kicking a bunch of goals. Marking very well. I think we'll see Jamie more forward than midfield this coming season. Could maybe alternate with Jordy mid-forward time.
  • Tyler Brown - Seemed to do a bit of running in the modfield group
  • Daicos - In the modified group with their own work, plus did some running off to the boundary.
  • Bianco - Was quite lively with his ball use, off the wing and half back.
  • Noble - Looked good using the ball within the midfield to feed it on toward the forwards. Helped set up a nice play witj Adams and Kelly.
  • Pendles - Does what pendles does. Though was more lively in the 2nd half of the match sim. But his class around the ground was very evident.
  • Wilson - Did some nice things in the backline.
  • Adams - Always doing something. Whether its working like a horse through the midfield, setting up goals, or even kicking them himself. You always know what you're gonna get.
  • Cameron - In the modfield group.
  • Lynch - Had some nice contested marking moments.
  • Mayne - Was quite active in the 1st half of the match sim, used the ball nicely along the wing.
  • Cal Brown - Didn't train, but popped up out a few moments. I assume is doing work inside.
  • Macrae - Was one of the best with the draftees. Managed to get and use the ball very nicely.
  • Greenwood - Did some work in the backline and also midfield.
  • kelly - Looked good. Got some solid marks and goals up forward. He probably just needs to be more consistent and sticking a lot more marks in those hands, not so drop as many. But that will come with more experience.
  • Sidebottom - Seemed to play on the wing, and also forward. And forward why not? He has a good goal sense.
  • Roughy - Solid as ever down back.
  • Thomas - Very very good. Seemed to be getting in some form, even if its in training. Got on the end of some good ball movement and put through some through the goals. He needs to step it up this year otherwise he'll be in big trouble. Plenty of kids will be after his very spot.
  • Crisp - Very solid, took some nice marks and worked quite well with maynard.
  • Reef - Did some nice things around the contests.
  • Poulter - Still needs to put on some weight, but moved well.
  • Murphy, had some nice foot skills in the half back line. Needs a big year. Make it or break it.
  • McMahon - Was in the modified group, but seemed to be doing alright. I don't think there is any issues there.
  • McCreery - I think he was also in the modfieid group for a while. But joined the main group.
  • WHE - Took some nice grabs and a goal or two. Looking forward to him having a better year.
  • Ginnivan - Did some running sessions on the boundary.
  • Chugg - Looked pretty good in the half back line. Used the ball well, and worked with his teammates.
  • Ollie Henry - Did some special things up forward, accurate at set shots too. That helps lol
  • Sier - Got around the contest strongly. Another who needs a big year. Make or break.
  • Maynard - a Bull. Very reliable.
  • Rusoce - Seemed to be in the modified group, but didn't seem to be any issue with him.
  • Tohil - Was used up forward and on the wing. Looked okay, slowly growing into this environment.
  • Madgen - Did quite well in the match sim.
  • Cox - Did well, some nice moments with some marks up the ground and a couple shots on goal.

Jeremy Howe didn't particiate. But he was out there, usually at the end of the ground where the goals are. He would then help out with the outgoing balls. Clearly they are taking time with him. Not to rush him until he is 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back