Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Effective communication would be super important to get right. Players need to be able to effectively understand instructions given to them in short quarter time break while they’re sucking down gatoraides and their heart rates are coming down from 180.
From a teacher's/junior coaches perspective - a new task needing to be re-explained is as far from an issue as you can get. Sometimes you intentionally give limited instructions to see if they can work their way through it. Sometimes they quickly work out a new, better way of doing something that doesn't hit intended targets, thus the activity needs adjustment. Sometimes you forget to emphasise a significant part of the instruction. Each group deals with a different task differently and the same task that works wonderfully with one group needs to be adjusted for the next group. That's teaching and coaching.

Super long session. Four groups with two taking the field at a time. The first lot of two spent almost 2.5 hours on the track. With work in the arvo I had to leave shortly after this half.

The first two groups were mostly senior players, so I didn’t get much look at the younger players. Adams and DeGoey looked in great nick with Kelly also looking good in that group. He hasn’t added much size though.

Quaynor lead all the running drills in the other group with a competitive Madgen hot on his heels trying to keep up.

From the few minutes I seen of the next two groups Lynch again dominated the running ahead of a fast finishing Bianco and Wilson. Wilson looks to have added a bit of size to his upper body.
IQ through the middle this year?

He did do at least a couple of mid season "mini preseasons".
They were highlighted at the time.

I can't remember why but I believe the first was post an injury or something like that.
He performed brilliantly for the rest of the season and so the next year it was repeated.
This because the first year had been so successful, rather than a specific need.

It happened around our bye time I think.
Can anyone else remember this?

I also remember that he was considered to be a good trainer and so I agree with you there,
but he did do something unusual at the time.

Having said all of that, perhaps it would just be considered normal now - you lose fitness when injured and
you have a hard block of training to get it back again!
Swannie being the footballer rather than the natural athlete, may have needed it more than others.

Only ever did mini pre-seasons when returning from injury from memory.

Definitely not wrong. He went over to the US on more than one occasion mid season.

I think you might be over stating it. My expectation is that a mini preseason would be intensive block of 4-6 weeks returning from a significant injury but I can’t recall him having any of those. Just the occasional high intensity week or 2.

Welcome back. I look forward to photos of Bear sculptures made from your belly button lint.

I am harvesting as I type.

I appear to have accumulated a lot in lockdown. I have enough for one per member. My offer to the Magpies membership department to include it in the members pack for 2021 has so far been rebuffed though. I don't know why.

What part of either of those two posts indicated that everyone was new to the club? I would suggest that mastery isn’t the aim just not failure and the fact that they were so far from mastery suggests to me that whatever they use to explain drills could be improved.

I agree it advantages the shitter teams over the better teams because of how the draw is structured. I argue harder that the ridiculousness of zones brings us much closer to that myself given a bonus point doesn’t actually change how the game is played just the intent...

So, on the basis of one drill being recalled to a group of newer players by one of our newer coaches, you're declaring that we are behind other clubs in professionalism and coaching?

That seems a fair stretch.

However, I'd say our game plan is definitely ineffective as it pertains to

- clearances, considering our ruckman gets his hands on the ball more than any other and we rank in the bottom half of teams despite having a rated midfield

- scoring, with slow ball movement out of defence being a major culplrit in that. 10th for average inside 50's in 2020 and 13th for goals per game in 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, on the basis of one drill being recalled to a group of newer players by one of our newer coaches, you're declaring that we are behind other clubs in professionalism and coaching?

- clearances, considering our ruckman gets his hands on the ball more than any other and we rank in the bottom half of teams despite having a rated midfield

- scoring, with slow ball movement out of defence being a major culplrit in that. 10th for average inside 50's in 2020 and 13th for goals per game in 2020

Nope. I think this happens quite a lot on BF where posters jump in half way through and lose sight of what the actual discussion starts as. To break it down from your question:

1. The discussion started with a question on the circumstances. There was no mention of it being newer players. With that information alone I may not have posted or I would have changed my initial post completely.

2. I say with complete and utter certainty that we’re behind other clubs in terms of professionalism on the basis of our trade period. Not because of us recalling a training drill. I would go as far as to say that if people don’t agree that we’re behind then they have NFI.

The reason I picked up on it was to perhaps drill down on a quirky little tidbit (not knowing it involved only newer players) to steer clear from player x has bulked up or player y is training the house down type chat. That’s valuable info, but 99% of us can’t really get involved in that type of discussion so it doesn’t go anywhere. I thought this might be a topic that could be explored within the training thread, but it appears not based on how my post was received...

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of our deficiencies. Unfortunately we’re 3 months from knowing whether the work we’re currently putting in will be Adelaide 2018 or Port 2020...

Last edited:

Well yeah Grundy gets his hand on it but our clearances do not match this. I would say though that our mids are criminally overrated.

Nope. I think this happens quite a lot on BF where posters jump in half way through and lose sight of what the actual discussion starts as. To break it down from your question:

1. The discussion started with a question on the circumstances. There was no mention of it being newer players. With that information alone I may not have posted or I would have changed my initial post completely.

2. I say with complete and utter certainty that we’re behind other clubs in terms of professionalism on the basis of our trade period. Not because of us recalling a training drill. I would go as far as to say that if people don’t agree that we’re behind then they have NFI.

The reason I picked up on it was to perhaps drill down on a quirky little tidbit (not knowing it involved only newer players) to steer clear from player x has bulked up or player y is training the house down type chat. That’s valuable info, but 99% of us can’t really get involved in that type of discussion so it doesn’t go anywhere. I thought this might be a topic that could be explored within the training thread, but it appears not based on how my post was received...

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of our deficiencies. Unfortunately, we’re 3 months from knowing whether the work we’re currently putting in will be Adelaide 2018 or Port 2020...
Sco, It was mentioned in other posts that the new kids were in a separate group, but I probably should have made it clear in my post. So apologies for the "Bullshit" remark.
The group was made up of Macrae, McMahon, Poulter, McCreery, Ginnivan, Henry, Chugg and the new kid trialling with us Jack Briskey) plus only one senior, Crisp. From memory the only one missing was Reef.
So, I think the stopping of play to better explain the drill was understandable, as the new kids had probably never done it before.
My comment was meant to show that Selwood readily admitted a mistake whereas many others would have just kept going.

Agreed, Jordy looks huge across the upper body.

Most of his offseason Instagram posts were of cows and the gym. Makes sense that he's now xtra thicc.

Definitely not wrong. He went over to the US on more than one occasion mid season.
Only after he was injured iirc. They never took him out for a mini preseason under normal circumstances.

Was thinking the same thing.
Either it's an allusion created by the pic or Jordy has taken a bit of what Dr. Bruce Banner took.
He's massive.

Edit. I meant illusion so back the f**k up TKiL
The lack of neck was disturbing. I assumed he was looking to change codes to play League.

For some reason I've had the Music Guys song from Hey Hey running through my head....You can do the Gladstone Small, Gladstone Small.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back