Assistant Coaches 2017 - Lade returns!

Remove this Banner Ad

Our coaching panel this year is fine. The way it is set up, we either make finals or there will be major changes at the end of the year. If we brought in 2 or 3 new coaches (on 2 or 3 year contracts) and failed, our hands would be tied.

These coaches now own 2017. If our midfield misfires, Voss will pay. If our defence leaks, Bassett will pay. If we don't make finals Ken will pay. Only Lade has margin for error.

There are two ways to improve any business or operation. Recruit what you need from outside or make more and better use of what you already have.
I get that. but would it hurt to bring in 1 more senior assistant with new perspective ?

Bit unfair on Bassett. Loses Carlisle for all bar first two games, Trengove to the midfield from RD7, and then Jonas for the last 14 weeks.

It's incredible that our backline only conceded an extra 2pts per game in 2016 compared to 2015.
Working with what he had the performance was great, but that performance is half a story. If you rate the backline it'd be:

Stopping opposition scoring - C+/B-
Ability to rebound / turn it over for attack - D-/F
Overall C-

With Chad as Senior Maggies coach and also the chief
runner for the A's he is in perfect position to provide constant feedback to KH and also provide coaching skills sessions to all the players on this list. I take it that he is a fully permanent employee of the club and that he atttends all Power training sessions?

This all complements the super aggressive trading period that the Club promised - and delivered on.
Be afraid - here we come.
Premiers 2017.
Now, now, not much we can do if our coaches are contracted. We're not rolling in $$$$$. Would have liked Dew but the new set up sounds more streamlined and hopefully Nicks gets his oppo analysis right and Lade gets some synergy between our mids and forwards. Don't mind Hentschel in forwards either. Our forward system seemed to work fairly well in the magpies.

Bit unfair on Bassett. Loses Carlisle for all bar first two games, Trengove to the midfield from RD7, and then Jonas for the last 14 weeks.

It's incredible that our backline only conceded an extra 2pts per game in 2016 compared to 2015.
And Hombsch who is arguably our best defender going forward played just 10 games, most of those clearly hampered by injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Hombsch who is arguably our best defender going forward played just 10 games, most of those clearly hampered by injury.

Yep, we ran with one of the more inexperienced backline's we've put out in a while. Hopefully it'll hold us in good stead. Feeling pretty good now, having seen him, about Austin's ability to replace Carlile.

I still don't get all the 'disappointment' about Stewie Dew. He's contracted, he didn't want to leave, Sidney didn't want to lose him, we weren't offering a Senior Coaching position. I could never see how it would happen. If things don't work out for Ken next year and we are looking for a replacement, then it may be a possibility, but not now.

Now, now, not much we can do if our coaches are contracted. We're not rolling in $$$$$. Would have liked Dew but the new set up sounds more streamlined and hopefully Nicks gets his oppo analysis right and Lade gets some synergy between our mids and forwards. Don't mind Hentschel in forwards either. Our forward system seemed to work fairly well in the magpies.

Quite probably true, OGC.

However the Club should not have started sprouting off and promising things it more than likely knew already were unlikely to ever eventuate.

Classic "over promise:under deliver" scenario - getting fans hopes up, and then a massive letdown once zilch happens.

Best to be a realist and not over commit too much. Just say "we are working towards improvement in certain areas", then, if something they have been secretly working on does happen, it's a cause for a positive announcement, celebration and uplifting of spirits.

It then becomes a a case of us going - "Oh. Wow. Fantastic work by the Club" :thumbsu::D instead of "MEH" :thumbsdown::(

Quite probably true, OGC.

However the Club should not have started sprouting off and promising things it more than likely knew already were unlikely to ever eventuate.

Classic "over promise:under deliver" scenario - getting fans hopes up, and then a massive letdown once zilch happens.

Best to be a realist and not over commit too much. Just say "we are working towards improvement in certain areas", then, if something they have been secretly working on does happen, it's a cause for a positive announcement, celebration and uplifting of spirits.

It then becomes a a case of us going - "Oh. Wow. Fantastic work by the Club" :thumbsu::D instead of "MEH" :thumbsdown::(

Really? Is this true? I don't actually remember the club "sprouting off and promising" anything regarding Dew joining our coaching team. I know there has been a lot of speculation and wishful thinking expressed on this board about him joining our coaching team but nothing more than that. If I'm mistaken and the club really did prematurely make such statements then I agree with you - was probably a mistake by the club.

Really? Is this true? I don't actually remember the club "sprouting off and promising" anything regarding Dew joining our coaching team. I know there has been a lot of speculation and wishful thinking expressed on this board about him joining our coaching team but nothing more than that. If I'm mistaken and the club really did prematurely make such statements then I agree with you - was probably a mistake by the club.
The Club has never stated that they were going after Dew as a coach. I remember Josh Francou writing an article about getting Dew to Port as far back as 2012. It never happened then and I don't think his wife wants to move anyway..

Last edited:
The club moved on an assistant coach and brought in a new assistant with experience at another club. There has been a reallocation of duties as promised with an intent to focus roles and an intention to improve performance.

KT has promised support around the coaching panel to help them with their jobs.

It's funny. I suspect there is enough football IQ between Hinkley, Nicks, Bassett, Voss, Greaves and Lade to coach a football club. I guess we'll find out.

Well, we will see how this one plays out.

It really is an all or nothing 2017 for this group.

Apart from Hinkley, what is our combined afl coaching finals experience? I am moving on. That supposing brutal end of year review has resulted us in doing what we have done last 2 years....back our players and coaches. All in bet! let's hope we get the perfect cards

I can't believe we didn't sack Voss, Nicks, Hart and Bassett and bring in 15 new coaches. Why did we not trade 17 players for pick 186 and Aaron Black?

Ruthless Farkern.

I'm really not sure what you all want in terms of assistant coaches, changes have been made in the last two years.

Bassett has basically been here for 5 minutes, Lade comes in & some shuffling has occurred along with some blokes moved on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back