Australian Selectors - Hats Off

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I will say I told you so.
Mr Paine and Mr Cummins I thank ya.

Look whilst marsh's batting looked great his bowling was still pretty s**t and he didn't bowl that much. Literally could have brought maxwell in and thrown him the ball for the 10 or so overs that marsh bowled throughout the test. Their reasoning for bringing him in was shown to be stupid. It paid off with the bat but not the ball

Look whilst marsh's batting looked great his bowling was still pretty s**t and he didn't bowl that much. Literally could have brought maxwell in and thrown him the ball for the 10 or so overs that marsh bowled throughout the test. Their reasoning for bringing him in was shown to be stupid. It paid off with the bat but not the ball
The kid made 181. He wasn't required with the ball. Who cares?

Kudos selectors.

Bowling was average but he was there to lessen the load on our quicks. If Starc pulls up, expect him to bowl more as well.

Kudos selectors.
The only real justification offered for Marsh over Maxwell before the game was that Marsh bowls pace and Maxwell bowls spin. It paid off, but there's still a case to be made that Maxwell was hard done by (similar to Law getting overlooked for Ponting, where obviously Ponting deserved his chance, and made the most of it, but Law was still a little hard done by).

Selectors cop a lot of abuse (sometimes rightly) but any praise is often grudging at best.

All four of these selections were contentious in at least some quarters but all have come off to varying degrees. The Marsh brothers have been the most spectacular but Paine has done a good job keeping and counterattacking down the order while even Bancroft scored 82*.

Ironically the most obvious selection (Bancroft) has been the least convincing.

They did well, but they couldn't have done much wrong this series.

This English time is weaker than any that toured in the 90's.

This was like being a selector for the Queensland state of origin teams since about 2005.

It's waaaaay more important he does it with the bat batting at 6. He only has to give some relief with the ball.

The only real justification offered for Marsh over Maxwell before the game was that Marsh bowls pace and Maxwell bowls spin. It paid off, but there's still a case to be made that Maxwell was hard done by (similar to Law getting overlooked for Ponting, where obviously Ponting deserved his chance, and made the most of it, but Law was still a little hard done by).

If the Test was in Sydney fair chance they'd have gone with Maxwell. Unlucky the Test was in Perth.

Kudos selectors.
Starc's injury meant that he should have bowled more than he did. Going at 4 runs per over isn't good enough though, and probably why smith didn't bowl him that much. He was getting smacked around in the shield too. Medium pace turned out to be pretty bloody useless on that pitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starc's injury meant that he should have bowled more than he did. Going at 4 runs per over isn't good enough though, and probably why smith didn't bowl him that much. He was getting smacked around in the shield too. Medium pace turned out to be pretty bloody useless on that pitch.
Going at 4 an over as the 5th bowler isn’t surprising at the WACA, the outfield is ridiculously fast. Think you need to shift the goalposts slightly there.

They've all performed so you have to say they were good selections. I still believe the justifications for both the Marsh's selection are and remain contentious at best.

They've all performed so you have to say they were good selections. I still believe the justifications for both the Marsh's selection are and remain contentious at best.
I think they can point out f/c form for all selections bar Paine but with hindsight they telegraphed their intentions after the BBL last year when they moved him quickly back into the national set up. Maxwell can feel hard done by but he's hardly the first person in Test history to be in that situation.

I think they can point out f/c form for all selections bar Paine but with hindsight they telegraphed their intentions after the BBL last year when they moved him quickly back into the national set up. Maxwell can feel hard done by but he's hardly the first person in Test history to be in that situation.

Someones always stiff, absolutely. It's just when you compare Maxwell and S Marsh's form in India and then their almost identical shield form, you have to feel for him. Didn't mind Paine's selection, all other contenders were performing miserably and as you said there was some indication it was being thought about for some time.

That's why you aren't a selector and just an internet poster.

Are people forgetting Marsh has only recently gotten back to bowling? He's not going to get it right immediately and he's already shown himself to be a Test standard fifth bowler in the past. Of all the things to whinge about.

Maxwell did not miss out at the expense of Mitch Marsh. People really need to get this through their heads.

Marsh got selected because they wanted a fourth paceman, and it was pretty much him or Henriques (who is in disgusting form).

Maxwell did not miss out at the expense of Mitch Marsh. People really need to get this through their heads.

Marsh got selected because they wanted a fourth paceman, and it was pretty much him or Henriques (who is in disgusting form).
And the home ground advantage so to speak.

Personally i didn't like the recall of mitch but given circumstances it was very understandable. What does a backup spinner provide on a flat track? Not much. What does a medium pacer provide on a flat track? Relief for the real attack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back