Review Autopsy/vent thread vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play Stringer as the sub imo. Posted in the other thread but...
I'd love to see him in the side but he's simply not ready. We can't play underdone, unfit players as the sub in case of early injury.
Stringer will absolutely be worth the wait.

Macrae on the other hand - he looks ready now.

I think some people are over-analysing it. Such wholesale changes are what stupid clubs do. We need to make changes but not ridiculous ones.

We got beaten in the stoppages, absolutely thumped. If you can't win the ball you can't set the ground up. I agree we didn't work hard enough to get it back and i agree it was piss weak to get monstered like we did but that's about it. They were tougher at it all day and it started every time Maric smashed into big Will. He has his number imo.

The big structural killer list wise for me isn't so much our lack of pace around the ground or our percieved lack of skill, it was the fact that behind Dahlhaus, our quickest forward was Liam Jones... that's scary. I mean i know Jones is quick but when your rovers aren't a threat the other team is laughing. Dickson i'm prepared to let off because i think he does more defensively than the other two but Gia and Higgins today... well i just put it down as a loss every time we went to them.

Still think it's fine we have so many inside mids, they'll all end up inside outside complete mids that beat the crap out of front runners in finals- look at Sydney, they're all inside mids. They won't look so slow when we have the friggin pill which they should have been bloody winning today! That's often how it works.

Also it is pretty laughable that they have 4 really good players and they were their best 4. Picken should have gone to Deledio. End of story.

Also thought Roughead was alright, he was on Vickery all day and made him look like an idiot imo. Morris did ok on Roo but when you lose the midfield battle Roo will find a way to slip away and hurt you

Wallis got worked over in close. Not one team mate got in Richmond's face, or helped him up.
Thought Wallis was pretty good actually. He got closed in a lot and therefore his possessions didn't hurt, but he has a massive future. I was lucky enough to have level 2 seats today and a great view and his gut running was impressive. You also have a really good key defender in Roughead. Yes, Jack kicked 5 but with the supply he had, Roughead actually beat him I thought.

I think Cooney's back in town. Looked great today.

I think structurally the Dogs suffered heaps. Kicks under pressure down the field led to 2-1 contests in Richmond's favour, at times just straight to Richmond players. Richmond cut up the Dogs by playing on at every opportunity and taking the game on. Obviously not worried about the opposition, I want to see how to react to a pissed off Collingwood next week. That will tell me alot about Richmond. I can't complain though, we did exactly what we should have today. Hopefully we're starting to earn respect in the competition because our record has been poor and we do deserve to be doubted, especially with Bulldog supporters. Hopefully the last few times we've met we're starting to earn your respect. Richmond took the game seriously, our supporters were worried, the Bulldogs have our respect. I personally think you're on the right track and it will get better.

But you know, that's what happens with young sides. One week they flick the switch, then they go quiet. The inconsistency will frustrate you guys. But remember that the players and coaches (love Macca) are doing their best.

Free kicks were frustrating all day, both sides btw, I just thought the game was over the top with regards to free kicks. Your side is 2-3 years behind ours on development, don't expect instant results and gratification. Know full well that you will have bad days, today was simply that. Don't judge them on today, overall this season I think the Dogs have been fantastic.

Hi Guys - Its not all bad at Doggie land
Whilst it might look bad at the moment there were glimpses of good play at times but there was 1 thing that really stood out to me today and i wont mention any name except 1 that has no right to go unnamed with his insipid performance today & I Really cant believe he puts his hand out to get paid delivering the sh!t he did today
Shaun Higgins - Your a disgrace

The doggies have 4-5 players whilst not bad , need to be moved on to take the next step, These players remind me of the frawley days for us where whilst keeping us at an average level will never take us to the next level where we wanted to be.

Sometimes you need to prune to get better

SPOT ON Mate-----------

Giansiracusa, Higgins , Cross(love the bloke) , Picken(Really worried about his skills)

3 things I learnt about the RFC today.
1. The fans are the feralist I have seen
2. Then fans have no idea of the rules.
3. I have finally worked out why Dustbin Martin has a tattoo around his neck, so his boyfriend knows exactly where to blow his load.

What a pack of absolute Whingers they were today at the ground today ! lol ! Every decision, Whinge, Whinge Whinge ! So uneducated !!

I would hate to see them if they actually lost ! lol !

It's tempting to compare that performance to 2012. The scoreboard was certainly reminiscent of then. But I actually think it was very different.

Last year we would come out and have a dip at the start of the match. We were all revved up. But our skills were utterly shocking. And our system was non-existent. As was our Forward line. We'd scrap our way to 6 arsey goals. And then we'd run out of puff. And that's where the game would end, as the other team piled on 12 more goals.

But today was very different. It was better in some ways and worse in others. Firstly we did not come out and have a dip. At all. There was zero running effort, either offensively or defensively, from the first bounce. But on the other hand, our skills and system and forward line were better. Our disposal efficiency was in the 60s - we could only dream of that late last year. Our system was there in shreds and patches (compared to NEVER late last year). And we had at least one Forward who looked likely.

Those 3 positives were only mild ones of course - and all 3 fell well short of the mark. Furthermore those positives were more than outweighed by the massive negative of a complete lack of effort - resulting in a 2012-esque scoreline.

But we should at least be specific about what the problem is, so it can hopefully be remedied.
This

I was thinking this all day. Couldn't have been more different to last year.

Thought Wallis was pretty good actually. He got closed in a lot and therefore his possessions didn't hurt, but he has a massive future. I was lucky enough to have level 2 seats today and a great view and his gut running was impressive. You also have a really good key defender in Roughead. Yes, Jack kicked 5 but with the supply he had, Roughead actually beat him I thought.
Fair assessment of Wallis' game, I think your mids did an exceptional job at closing down he and Libba especially.

I reckon Campbell can work, but if he gets kicked in his advantage for once. More confident then his ruck and around the ground.

There were times when it seemed he had opportunity to take a grab and he just didn't assert himself. He looked slow and never really put his arms up to actually take any marks and if he did he'd for some reason try to tap it down.

What a pack of absolute Whingers they were today at the ground today ! lol ! Every decision, Whinge, Whinge Whinge ! So uneducated !!

I would hate to see them if they actually lost ! lol !

Almost 60 free kicks were given today.

To be fair, our supporters love seeing a free flowing contest that isn't interrupted by silly decision making free kicks. I heard many Richmond supporters whinge over free kicks even Richmond were getting.

We're a passionate bunch, very loud, don't think that's a bad thing. We love the game.

I hope you learned that we're the only ones who can match those feral Collingwood buggers and beat them at their own game. What Hawthorn did today was beautiful, see how miserable they looked? Well let's just hope we can follow in Hawthorn's footsteps, because none of their supporters will stay til the end, we'll shooo them out. For once in a long time they won't be saying they're the biggest club in Australia. We'll be dwarfing them in sound and feralness.

(Keep in mind I'm tipping Collingwood by 20 points :( I think they'll be too good).

I think some people are over-analysing it. Such wholesale changes are what stupid clubs do. We need to make changes but not ridiculous ones.
There is a key difference between this and last year.

We have a number of players who play forward/half forward putting their hands up for selection now, and a number of poorly performing senior players.
Malthouse sat out guys like Fraser, O'Bree & Lockyer in a year he played kids - Collingwood actually got better that year. Reputations were ignored, and some of the kids that took that opportunity eventually became premiership players.

Will Vez make it? Who knows, but he's working hard and is in the frame for selection. Macrae is carving up VFL level, has pace and his disposal is better than average. Stringer is only match-fitness away from playing senior football. Pearce is proving me wrong based on output so far.

There's a changing of the guard opportunity there for us now, before we look at the kids in the side or on the fringe.
JJ - my partial man-crush after his games last year - is showing he is actually going to be better than a role player.
Stevens - I like him, still a youngster and in the next few years I think we'll be patting Dalryple & McCartney on the back for getting this trade done.
Lower cost us nothing and should play 100 games for us.
Libba & Wallis are 20/21 and are best 22 players. You build a midfield around those types.
Smith is in his second year of senior football. Ahead of the curve and he will be a player.
Young is making me look stupid after I question his trade, and I'm glad he is.
Roughy is a player. He will have his ups and downs but from ~50 games experience onwards he will be one of the lynchpins of our side.
Jones has just kicked 4 goals in a flogging. I repeat, we have a tall forward that kicked 4 goals in a flogging. In terms of developing a tall forward ourselves we've had Chris Grant... tumbleweeds... nobodies... tumbleweeds.... Liam Jones.

Today was a terrible result at senior level on the face of it, but this is an opportunity not a crisis.

I hope you learned that we're the only ones who can match those feral Collingwood buggers and beat them at their own game.
Yep - and I hope you can do it on the field at some stage too :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant wait to read the excuses why grown men who are paid ridiculous amounts of money to represent us and our team should be forgiven and given another chance to dissapoint us.

I know im not liked for my views..... However im very dissappointed in the lack of guts to call a spade a spade that some of u possess.

The reason why your views get criticised, Athenian, is not because we're all scared of your relentless truth-telling. It's because you keep posting facile posts that lack credibility.

Surely if McCartney is such an obvious mess as you seem to think TODAY he would have also been an obvious mess 2 weeks ago too - despite our win. But Mutt's got you nailed there - after just ONE win against a mediocre side like Brisbane you were talking about 1997 revisited. Doesn't sound much like "sack the coach" to me! Or calling a spade a spade, for that matter.

It's not truth-telling to become suicidal every time we lose big and jubilant every time we win big. It's just silly. I genuinely hear better analysis of the team from my 7-year-old nephew.

There is a middle ground between "excuse-making" and wanting to sack the coach every time we lose badly. It's called realism. That performance was rubbish. Players should be dropped. But those kinds of performances do come from a rubbish team. And that is what we are in 2013. It's also what we were in 2013 two weeks ago. We will enjoy the wins, and curse the losses. And rightfully so. But we also hope that we see a response from the team to the poor performances, and we see some kind of light on the horizon. And we also hope throughout the year that 4 or 5 youngsters will show that they have the right stuff, and 4 or 5 more will get enough games in them so they can put their hands up next year, and 8 or 9 players will identify themselves as ideal for culling. And then we will do that. No excuses. And next year we will be better for it. And I will be saying the same things the next time we smash a mediocre side.

Take a deep breath, Athenian. Like Mutt said - it's going to be a long season. And there is literally nothing anyone can do to stop that. And THAT is calling a spade a spade. No excuses.

I had high hopes today - Actually thought after the close NAB cup game we would have had a real crack and maybe pulled off an upset win. Man was i wrong ! lol !

From the first bounce i knew we were up s**t Creek, with a canoe full of holes, without even a paddle ! hehe ! - No intensity, no heart, constantly outnumbered all around the ground, wouldnt defend, wouldnt chase ! It was a woeful effort for Daniel Cross ! ( he deserved more respect than that )

I personally dont hold any of the backline responsible - With that amount of ball coming in , what on earth could they do?

The midfield was smashed - Forward line was shocking apart from Murphy and Jones..... Higgins and Gia were ordinary and at least 1 of them needs to be made an example of at the selection table... I think Dicko and Dalhaus were ordinary, but at least they tried... Camplbell was all out to sea ! ( He wont make it at AFL Level so i wouldnt even bother )

Cooney did well and actually had a crack also ....

On another note, why wasnt eason Wood made to come back through the 2's? to go out at the 15 minute mark with a hammy was not good?

I think macrae may come in next week - I would hold off on stringer a few more weeks just yet

I am certainly not throwing in the towel in 2013, but we have a plan in place and i think stringer is still not AFL Fit, so needs more time....

Richmond - Garbage for three quarters.

images

Almost 60 free kicks were given today.

To be fair, our supporters love seeing a free flowing contest that isn't interrupted by silly decision making free kicks. I heard many Richmond supporters whinge over free kicks even Richmond were getting.

Many supporters argued for 'in the back' and then cracked the shits when the exact thing happened for the other team. Happens at every club but the bigger the club the the more the whinge as mob mentality kicks in. Richmond supporters got their whinge on early and it set the scene for a painful 4 quarters of crying until the end of the game when they booed the umpires off the ground after a 12 goal win. Wasn't pretty but Richmond aren't the only club to do this.

This loss paired with me and the missus breaking up.

All on my 21st :(

/wrist

Jesus my man, obviously I am a tigers man, but that's rough by any mans standards.

Go out, get blind and slay a dragon or 2.

On topic, thanks for the week guys, most of you and hopefully most of us also were good sports and good fun.

Many supporters argued for 'in the back' and then cracked the shits when the exact thing happened for the other team. Happens at every club but the bigger the club the the more the whinge as mob mentality kicks in. Richmond supporters got their whinge on early and it set the scene for a painful 4 quarters of crying until the end of the game when they booed the umpires off the ground after a 12 goal win. Wasn't pretty but Richmond aren't the only club to do this.

lol ! I was beginning to think i was in England in the land of the Whinging Poms ! :)

I suppose they were finally letting out some pent up frustration at us for absolutely owning them for the best part of 15 years :p

I can see how they would be frustrated at us :D

We have a number of players who play forward/half forward putting their hands up for selection now, and a number of poorly performing senior players.
Malthouse sat out guys like Fraser, O'Bree & Lockyer in a year he played kids - Collingwood actually got better that year. Reputations were ignored, and some of the kids that took that opportunity eventually became premiership players.

Will Vez make it? Who knows, but he's working hard and is in the frame for selection. Macrae is carving up VFL level, has pace and his disposal is better than average. Stringer is only match-fitness away from playing senior football. Pearce is proving me wrong based on output so far.

There's a changing of the guard opportunity there for us now, before we look at the kids in the side or on the fringe.
JJ - my partial man-crush after his games last year - is showing he is actually going to be better than a role player.
Stevens - I like him, still a youngster and in the next few years I think we'll be patting Dalryple & McCartney on the back for getting this trade done.
Libba & Wallis are 20/21 and are best 22 players. You build a midfield around those types.
Smith is in his second year of senior football. Ahead of the curve and he will be a player.
Roughy is a player. He will have his ups and downs but from ~50 games experience onwards he will be one of the lynchpins of our side.
Jones has just kicked 4 goals in a flogging. I repeat, we have a tall forward that kicked 4 goals in a flogging. In terms of developing a tall forward ourselves we've had Chris Grant... tumbleweeds... nobodies... tumbleweeds.... Liam Jones.

Today was a terrible result at senior level on the face of it, but this is an opportunity not a crisis.

This is where we're heading I think. At last week's presser Macca was asked about the underwhelming performances of Griffen, Higgins and Gia in particular. He said those players had assured him this week would be different. Griff wasn't terrible but how do you suppose he's feeling about the other two. I think there will be a few changes this week. I don't think Stringer can run out a full game but I can't see why he couldn't be sub and he wants to be there. Libba was shut out today and I suspect that part of it at least was his huge effort last week. Boyd will help. I can see Smith and possibly Pickers moving forward to replace a couple of undeservings and to make more room for Cooney to spend more time in the middle. I like Young and JJ comes straight back if he's fit. Lower never gave up.
Stitched up completely by Richmond today but these good sides are showing us things about our players that we simply need to know.

Disappointing, but not unexpected loss today. I watched the boys walk up the race and into the ground at the start of the game and their body language was not great, no patting each other, not a word said, nothing. After watching this team for many years now, I come to know when they are switched on and are going to pull of an upset, and when they are out of sorts, and they were definitely out of sorts today.

Only highlights for me was Jones with his accurate kicking and fantastic marking, Cooney had moments of 2008 about him, Roughy tried hard all day, got some really, really soft frees paid against him, to balance up the ledger. Griffin tried, but had hardly any support.

They key thing to our loss was Minson not winning the tap, Maric was all over him, lack of speed, and lack of accuracy, if you don't get first possession, you don't win the game. I think Hardwick should be congratulated he coached very well today.

Richmond gave away a lot of free kicks because they've been criticised for not laying enough tackles across their first two games. Almost all of the free kicks were there.

Agree with everything you've said, still don't think ridiculous wholesale changes. Refer to my post in the changes thread to see the ones i'd make, there are 4.

My post was in response to people wanting to bring in Tutt for more speed... He's not performing well enough. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back