AFL Toast Beat the giants by 20!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously when’s the last time we’ve looked this good defensively? And so organised? Peak Sheedy? To start poor ams then grind the opposition 11 goals to 4 like a really good team does. Brilliant stuff.

So watched the game, watched the replay and watched the fourth quarter a 3rd time. Very hard to believe the eyes.. we have been burnt so many times by this club but wow.. just wow. This was a fantastic win in every sense of the word. The Giants did not play poorly nor are they a weak side. This was a true Top 4 level clash.. pressure and intensity from both sides.. tight in close and difficult for both teams to score. And we came out on top. We have now shown, against multiple opposition, the ability to lock down the game for large periods and protect a lead. The last score for either team was with well over 10 minutes still on the clock. That is epic.. and we have done that against Saints, Adelaide, West Coast and now Giants.

Do I think we are premiership bound? Probably not this season but we are closer than we have been for a decade. The aspect that is most pleasing is that Scott has seemingly understood that we have some poor decision makers on the team and he has made the process much simpler. There is a consistency to our play and we are clearly allowing good ball carriers to carry a bigger load in the decision making. This has eliminated a lot of poor turnovers. For example.. not once did McGrath do his 'over the shoulder' 20m hack kick directly back to the oppo.

In the middle we are seeing what a solid ruckman looks like and boy have we missed that. Goldy is efficient and consistent. No he doesn't have a mullet.. he moves at the pace of slow snails and struggles with goal kicking.. but he gets up and down the ground and he does the little things over and over and over again. You can see our midfield learning to read his taps and growing in confidence. We dominated clearances. Dominated.

I'm also loving the depth.. tonight weren't huge for Merrett or Parish.. but they played their role.. and others stepped up. We are seeing guys take the limelight in patches.. Perkins having 10 minutes or Caldwell for a quarter then Durham or Stringer or Hobbs et al. They are working as a unit, happy to run off each other, make space.. be the guy without the ball and play that with purpose. They are sacrificing their own stats in order to advance the ball - an element that has long been missing from our team.

Tonight turned at two points.. in the 2nd quarter langford stepped up and kept us in it. In the 3rd, Merrett had a purple patch where he generated 3 goals from pinpoint kicks. Real leadership from two of our biggest stars. From those moments, younger guys like Guelfi stepped up and took over. That is what great teams do. They don't rely on the stars to do it all.. but they leverage great play into confidence for the whole team.

This should go down as the starting point. This was the most solid dismantling of a genuine flag contender that I have seen in many years. This wasn't a fluke, this wasn't injuries or umpiring. This was purposeful intent, a solid game plan and beautiful execution under pressure. Could not be happier.

Well done and GO BOMBERS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The magic of this is I actually don’t think we’re playing that well at the moment
Sorry I disagree. I recognise there is room for improvement.. our team still one of the youngest and most inexperienced going around.. but we are putting up pressure numbers that very few teams are capable of. Tonight we maxed out the pressure rating. The giants, the second highest scoring team in the league, could not score a single point in the last 18 minutes of game time and only 62 points for the entire game.

I think we are playing exceptional football right now. What I love is that we started this march after a deplorable effort against Port. I love that this squad has the backbone, the fight, the will to change that narrative.

I don't think you could play much better when you consider the age and experience of our list.

Davey also needs to stop shitting himself about getting contact in the contest and stay calm. But I do like his pressure and skills.

He put a nice body on Greene at a contest once which I thought was an improvement.

I'm hopeful he will be a bit better when he is more mature as a body.
I dno if he played this type of football as a junior for those that watched him?

I actually really like him up the ground, feel like he uses it really well and often in the forward 50 he's just caught between chases.

Sorry I disagree. I recognise there is room for improvement.. our team still one of the youngest and most inexperienced going around.. but we are putting up pressure numbers that very few teams are capable of. Tonight we maxed out the pressure rating. The giants, the second highest scoring team in the league, could not score a single point in the last 18 minutes of game time and only 62 points for the entire game.

I think we are playing exceptional football right now. What I love is that we started this march after a deplorable effort against Port. I love that this squad has the backbone, the fight, the will to change that narrative.

I don't think you could play much better when you consider the age and experience of our list.
Our first half was very very mediocre and only Langford’s goal sense kept us within sniffing distance. Imagine if we put 4 qtrs together like the second half. Zach Pack is right, we aren’t playing that well, and you’re right, we are playing quite well. Weird huh? Game could’ve easily been beyond us in the first half and if Stringer and Jones kicked straight we would’ve won in a canter. It’s Jekyll and Hyde footy that is paying off at the moment but we need to find which is Jekyll and which is Hyde and put our energy into bringing that personality to the fore. Mr Hyde has the stage for mine. No repent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back