AFL Toast Beat the giants by 20!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry I disagree. I recognise there is room for improvement.. our team still one of the youngest and most inexperienced going around.. but we are putting up pressure numbers that very few teams are capable of. Tonight we maxed out the pressure rating. The giants, the second highest scoring team in the league, could not score a single point in the last 18 minutes of game time and only 62 points for the entire game.

I think we are playing exceptional football right now. What I love is that we started this march after a deplorable effort against Port. I love that this squad has the backbone, the fight, the will to change that narrative.

I don't think you could play much better when you consider the age and experience of our list.

What we have got is a consistent baseline of effort, which is a big win in and of itself but there are still little attention to detail pieces and other parts that aren’t working.

We still haven’t really found a rhythm in the backline with who we’re trying to funnel the ball to and Martin is still trying to bite off way too much way too often and we still haven’t really solved the 1, 1.5 or 2 ruck problem.

And those are the things that separates the good sides from the very good sides, and I think it’s a good thing, we’ve got another gear.

Our first half was very very mediocre and only Langford’s goal sense kept us within sniffing distance. Imagine if we put 4 qtrs together like the second half. Zach Pack is right, we aren’t playing that well, and you’re right, we are playing quite well. Weird huh? Game could’ve easily been beyond us in the first half and if Stringer and Jones kicked straight we would’ve won in a canter. It’s Jekyll and Hyde footy that is paying off at the moment but we need to find which is Jekyll and which is Hyde and put our energy into bringing that personality to the fore. Mr Hyde has the stage for mine. No repent.
I respect your opinion (and Zach Packs tbh) but I still tend to disagree. Giants are a very good football team. Very good. They are fully stacked and were within a single point of a grand final playing against the eventual premiers last year.

I know they got the jump on us in the first quarter but it didn't get out of hand. We were down by 3 goals. So a very good team coming off an embarrassing loss last week, playing for a club champions 300th and starting with a minute silence for Cam McCarthy.. and they got out to a 3 goal lead. I wouldn't say we were mediocre. I would say that we were outplayed.

Then the second quarter we lifted our intensity and started to outplay them but just couldn't put the score on. No reward for effort but we narrowed the gap.

Then in the third it was a true arm wrestle but we got our noses in front. We then blew them away in the fourth but make no mistake.. GWS were playing awesome footy. Both teams had pressure ratings above 220 in the last quarter. That is some seriously tough football.

So yeah it would be great if we dominated from start to finish.. but I think we are playing very good defensive football right now. I think we are doing exactly what the coach wants us to be doing and maintaining that pressure for long long periods of time. This is a team that was widely selected as bottom 4.. even most punters on this board (myself included) thought that a 10 win season would be a 'win' but realistic was probably 7-8. We are at 6.5 and not even half way yet and that is through the toughest part of our draw.

We are playing well above expectations in my opinion.

Our first half was very very mediocre and only Langford’s goal sense kept us within sniffing distance. Imagine if we put 4 qtrs together like the second half. Zach Pack is right, we aren’t playing that well, and you’re right, we are playing quite well. Weird huh? Game could’ve easily been beyond us in the first half and if Stringer and Jones kicked straight we would’ve won in a canter. It’s Jekyll and Hyde footy that is paying off at the moment but we need to find which is Jekyll and which is Hyde and put our energy into bringing that personality to the fore. Mr Hyde has the stage for mine. No repent.
We were actually pretty good in the first half

Winning all key stat areas, its just whether it would swing regarding scoreboard in this game

We were actually pretty good in the first half

Winning all key stat areas, its just whether it would swing regarding scoreboard in this game
We had too many players having minimal impact, Merrett and Parish included. We were making some dumb mistakes and GWS were opening us up on the rebound. We could easily have been 5 goals down. Regardless of the stats, that’s the reality. The second half was several notches higher in intensity and ground position. Suddenly the Giants had no way out of congestion and had to rush their disposal. That wasn’t the case in the first half. Now, I’m rapt with our performance and I think we’re playing finals style footy but the reality is we can play much better, which is a huge positive.

What we have got is a consistent baseline of effort, which is a big win in and of itself but there are still little attention to detail pieces and other parts that aren’t working.

We still haven’t really found a rhythm in the backline with who we’re trying to funnel the ball to and Martin is still trying to bite off way too much way too often and we still haven’t really solved the 1, 1.5 or 2 ruck problem.

And those are the things that separates the good sides from the very good sides, and I think it’s a good thing, we’ve got another gear.
It's very evident we need a healthy Ridley in that backline to stabilise it. Reid's foot skills from defence is also very needed.

I'm excited to see how it'll look when they come back.

im with @zachpackage

I think that there’s another gear there.

Backline is still due the return of Ridley.

Durham/Perkins have just completely changed the dynamic of the midfield.

Then there’s the forward line a few players pick themselves but there’s still to me a good amount of uncertainty as they look for the best mix.

im with @zachpackage

I think that there’s another gear there.

Backline is still due the return of Ridley.

Durham/Perkins have just completely changed the dynamic of the midfield.

Then there’s the forward line a few players pick themselves but there’s still to me a good amount of uncertainty as they look for the best mix.
The pressure is elite

The finishing is meh. There is some talent to come back in.

I mean I am just so excited to see us pressure hard for large stretches of games. It’s hard to ask for more.

But yes there is another gear.

Players buying into position changes/adjustments has been huge.

Still bit worried about reliance on a few if injuries hit but even then at least have options in the 2s.

I think one thing I have been most pleased with is players willing to absorb contact and lock the ball in when needed.

Composure in these situations is making a big difference.
No doubt there are still a few gaps to fill personal wise to really finish it off but right now it is attitude and physical improvement that is the difference between this year and last year and add in a bit more hard edge leadership from a few guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not think there is another gear there right now other than we would look better with Ridley playing. Another gear would be several players taking another step up or some personal changes.
We still lack a marking presence down the line when we need to get out of jail. The forward crumbing is very hit and miss and we could also us a quick medium size half back with a good skill set to finish it off. Still need a KPF that marks it more consistently. Also need to find a Goldy version 2013-2015 to play ruck .
Some of this could come from within but the fact is right now the next gear is not 100% there.
We are playing really good footy with what we have based on team buy in and attitude which was always going to be the first step. The skill level and mistakes we make is not going to change a lot in the senior players. What we have now is what we have. Forget another gear. It is a side making up for it deficiencies by player a harder team brand of footy.

The most pleasing is the pressure and team effort. I haven't seen thet level since early 2001.

I will put my hand up, thought we were in for another belting at quarter time. Our pressure at the ball carrier was infectious after quarter time. That is what wins games. Pies wone a flag off pressure.

Now, time for a big win next week. Still have to think about % in case there are other draws. There has nearly been a few!

The most pleasing is the pressure and team effort. I haven't seen thet level since early 2001.

I will put my hand up, thought we were in for another belting at quarter time. Our pressure at the ball carrier was infectious after quarter time. That is what wins games. Pies wone a flag off pressure.

Now, time for a big win next week. Still have to think about % in case there are other draws. There has nearly been a few!
I know it is easy to say now but I thought we where doing enough not to get flogged even in the first quarter. They got a few goals late but one was from a 50/50 down field free kick and another from a turnover. At quarter time I was not thinking win . I was more thinking we could hang in there if we kept the same pressure up.

I know it is easy to say now but I thought we where doing enough not to get flogged even in the first quarter. They got a few goals late but one was from a 50/50 down field free kick and another from a turnover. At quarter time I was not thinking win . I was more thinking we could hang in there if we kept the same pressure up.
I hear you, I just think I have seen too many games where we fall away. The effort was there in the first but some horrible moments just gave them goals.

That we didn't drop our heads breeds confidence.

Perkins was most impressive for me. Come of age for sure.

I do not think there is another gear there right now other than we would look better with Ridley playing. Another gear would be several players taking another step up or some personal changes.
We still lack a marking presence down the line when we need to get out of jail. The forward crumbing is very hit and miss and we could also us a quick medium size half back with a good skill set to finish it off. Still need a KPF that marks it more consistently. Also need to find a Goldy version 2013-2015 to play ruck .
Some of this could come from within but the fact is right now the next gear is not 100% there.
We are playing really good footy with what we have based on team buy in and attitude which was always going to be the first step. The skill level and mistakes we make is not going to change a lot in the senior players. What we have now is what we have. Forget another gear. It is a side making up for it deficiencies by player a harder team brand of footy.
Very well put. Winning covers a multitude of sins in any sport. I still think there are big gaps in our list but it shows that a great team can beat a team of greats.

I would agree with all of yours.. small forward, a contested marking taller forward, a ruck. I also think we still lack a bit of polish in our forward ball movement and our backline still gives up 1-2 goals from direct turnovers every game.

The upside is huge, I don't think our puzzle is complete yet but you can see it coming together. However winning breeds winning. I don't think it can be underestimated the development that comes from winning and winning consistently. The belief from the group that if they do those little things.. then it will work. This includes guys realising they don't have to be the 'hero' all the time.. that doing the team things over and over will result in success.

Can't wait to see where this group can go and to see our first recruiting period post AD.

If we have a forward that plays like Langford this week, every week, We will win a lot more games. Jones could do it some weeks. But we need somebody to do it constantly. Our Curnow I guess.

Think we are missing a great small forward. Hind looks trash in that position. Could be Davey but he won't be there this year. Gresh plays a different type of small role, sitting just out of the 50.

This and inside mid are the hardest position of the game to be good at imo.They're both naturally contested and also precise. Charlie Cameron is amazing and he can't even do it consistently.

I hope guelf can be out stop gap this year before we draft or trade for somebody better.

20 points up, 10 minutes into the last qtr.

season 19 nbc GIF
And the best part is, they ******* did that.

How many times has this team been up by 5, 6 goals all for the opposition to kick 4 quick goals and it turns from a comfortable win to another heart stopper.

The players give a s**t and are maturing before our eyes. If we are clinical over the next two weeks, call me Big Kev cause I’m excited.

Such an impressive win. I don't remember the last time Essendon completely blanketed a side like they did yesterday. The team defence and pressure was phenomenal, the Giants just had no space to play.

Also extremely encouraging that they did it despite going down by 20 points early on, and without Merrett having a blinder.
I think we're really starting to see the impact of "you're only as good as your bottom 6" coming along. Early on Laverde struggled, but got better as the game went on, along with a great game from Hind and a career performance from Guelfi to completely shut down Whitfield and kick 3 goals as well.

Really really good signs.

Yep I never got the feeling we were going to be blown away but was struggling to see the win half time still saw a loss but if we could tidy up mistakes a little we were in with a chance. But don’t think I ever felt we let GWS get their game up and running

A few things of note;

- We hung in there early allowing us to get our game going. In the past it was game over early.

- Langford’s goal sense was the main reason we were in with a sniff.

- we set up well outside of the contest in the second half denying them easy escape.

- we have little tall forward presence, little small forward presence, our kicking at goal lets us down, and we have a few passengers each week, yet we keep winning. Imagine if it all comes together with Duursma, Reid, Ridley, Draper, Shiel, Tsatas, Setterfield all available and in the selection mix.

- McKay and Goldy may not dominate but their contribution is absolutely the main reason why we are now structurally stable and challenge teams when they look to gain momentum.
100% I’d also include Gresh and Duursma in this. Gresham may not be a super star who kicks you 2-3 a week but he is a massive upgrade on the smalls we had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back