Food, Drink & Dining Out Beers of yore

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was just watching Freo's first ever game v Richmond about 20 years ago. On the ad boards at the 'G, they're spruiking 'Diamond Beer.' Being about a year old when this unfurled I was barely ducking into bottle-os to critique what was being drank.

So, what are some classic old boys that faded away, or some mudwater that you're surprised lasted as long as it did?

Do they still make Tun Bitter? That's my gong. I remember their was Draft, Export, and Bitter, and young blokes would be naive enough to spring $30 on a carton to end up hating it. 'Oh well surely the Export isn't as bad...' and the cycle of stupidity would continue.

Another one is Amstel. Had one of those great scorpion caps and a great, simplistic looking bottle, but it tasted pretty watery (akin to Carlsberg). Bought them a few times in first year uni but I haven't ever seen them since. I think it was Dutch but when I spent a few days there last year I don't think I ran into it. So? Go on.

We used to drink Abbots lager,theory being it was that s**t no-one bought it so it had been sitting in the fridge the longest therefore it was the coldest.
Found this review
Summary-Boring,tasteless bland lager with an annoying aftertaste.Suitable only for bogans,or people recovering from bowel surgery.
Always lovely and cold though.

Tun Bitter is still a thing. An awful thing. About the only thing worse is Hammer and Tongs. So cheaply made they brew it in Vietnam to save on labour costs.

Who remembers Red Dog beer?

Swan Brewery for all intents and purposes is gone anyway but their product line dropped a few variants before the brewery shut. EB, EE, ED and SD are still around but the rest are gone. Swan Gold, Swan Mid (re-launched Swan Gold), Swan Lager, Swan Stout...

What ever happened to Toohey's Pils? Used to be about 5% or so from memory and came in a plain cardboard box of 24 stubbies, like Little Creatures Pale Ale. They changed the recipe and made it 4.5% and started selling it in a white and blue box, then not long after it disappeared.

A few SA brews that went extinct and deservedly so, apart from the Southwark Premium which was pretty good from memory.

View attachment 301232
View attachment 301233
View attachment 301235
Southward Premium isn't made anymore? That's a shame, it was good.

A few just immediately off the top of my head I can remember that I'm certain are all dead:

Cascade Amber
Fosters Special Bitter
Boag's St George (was their version of Corona- was s**t)
James Squire Pepperberry Winter Ale (was a ripping seasonal; real pity they cut it out)

Tun and Hammer N Tongs are the Woolworths and Coles homebrand beer.
Tasman Bitter; that was another one that seemed to be only sold at Liquorland joints and which I have not seen in a long time.

I believe it was actually made by Boag's, though.

old footy records are good for this

Fosters_Special_Bitter.jpg

Hammer & Tongs will be gone soon. There's nothing more annoying than some scungey backpacker with white boy dreads asking for it at work. Haven't had it, don't want to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kent Town Real Ale - By real ale is that like English real ales where it's served room temperature? Those are horrible enough to drink here in the cool climate. Can't imagine how horrific that would be in the Australian climate.

As for the OP Amstel is still well stocked over in Europe - At least in the UK anyway.

I was just watching Freo's first ever game v Richmond about 20 years ago. On the ad boards at the 'G, they're spruiking 'Diamond Beer.' Being about a year old when this unfurled I was barely ducking into bottle-os to critique what was being drank.

So, what are some classic old boys that faded away, or some mudwater that you're surprised lasted as long as it did?

Do they still make Tun Bitter? That's my gong. I remember their was Draft, Export, and Bitter, and young blokes would be naive enough to spring $30 on a carton to end up hating it. 'Oh well surely the Export isn't as bad...' and the cycle of stupidity would continue.

Another one is Amstel. Had one of those great scorpion caps and a great, simplistic looking bottle, but it tasted pretty watery (akin to Carlsberg). Bought them a few times in first year uni but I haven't ever seen them since. I think it was Dutch but when I spent a few days there last year I don't think I ran into it. So? Go on.

I always thought Amstel was South African.

I remember drinking Boags Strongarm a bit, when the difference in price between a "standard" beer and a "premium" beer seemed to be more. Then the gap seemed to close and you could just drink Boags Premium.

A good one that didn't last long was the original Tooheya Extra Dry platinum, with the black labels. It was 6.5% rather than the standard ~5%. Had the desired effect.

Woo hoo.......April fool's day, 1995......

Richmond 3.6 6.13 10.15 12.18.90 (s**t kicking!)
Fremantle 4.4 5.7 7.9 12.13.85

I won a local radio competition back when I was about 10 years old saying the advertisement for this beer was my favourite on television; my prize was the Grammy Nominees 2004 CD... From memory the guy is attempting all these tasks with one hand because he can't let go of the beer in his other.

carltonsterling.jpg

That's pretty ****ed up that they can let a 10-year old say his favourite ad is one about piss.

PC oversensitivity whatever but only now am I starting to realise how bad the combination of alcohol and impressionable kids is. Such addictive s**t. Normalising and encouraging it during the footy will always happen but between that and gambling, you can see how late teenagers and young adults slip into the cycle.

(I say this as someone with probably moderate alcoholism.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back