Bevo is P155ed Off

Remove this Banner Ad

If the last decade or so has told us anything about social media and trolling in particular, it's that highlighting it can have an opposite effect to what was intended. I wouldn't be surprised if the common targets of these people end up getting a harder time - it's pretty disgusting, but not surprising.

I'm so sick of the "dont highlight negative behaviour because it makes it worse" argument. There will always be a period of further problems before improvements. Should woman have not spoken out against workplace sexual harassment because it would have killed their career? A potentially more serious issue (potentially as serious, given death threats have occurred already this year), but the similarities are there.

By highlighting it, it hopefully paves the way for change. We should absolutely call rubbish like this out, just as we should call out racism, sexism etc. In person and online.

There is nothing wrong with criticising a player, a coach in their football ability/coaching ability on a football forum it’s what a forum like this is for as long as it’s football related and not personal.

Where things go over the line is the trolls that direct message players abusing them, threatening them and making personal comments about a player. No one has a right to message a player directly with abuse or criticism whether we pay money for a membership or not.

However the difference between saying player A doesn’t attack the ball hard enough or didn’t kill the ball when they should have or fumbles under pressure on here is in stark contrast to messaging player A directly with abuse so let’s not try to make out they are one in the same

I don't think Beveridge is referring to forums such as this for his anger at comments made, it seems to be more addressed to social media trolls. My take is that we are no different from any other club when it comes to comments made about players. When frustrations boil over some of those comments can get close to the bone and some can become over the top critical. But abuse is something else altogether and thankfully we don't see too much of that in this forum. I've been a harsh critic of Gardner and I still have my doubts but like the vast majority of posters, comments relate to his skill set rather than about him as a person. I was much more critical of the match committee who seemed to defy logic by continuing to play him when in his earlier games he looked anything but an AFL footballer. They may yet have the last laugh on me and if we get a useful key position player out of him, I like many of us will admit error.
Again, putting abuse to one side, criticism is a valid feature of a forum like this and I have read many scathing posts here and elsewhere directed at players, coaches, match committees and recruiters, some of which I agree with but that doesn't mean that I have any animosity towards them. It would be a unique situation if everything we contributed on a forum was expressed with reason and intelligence, but then again, it just wouldn't be footy, would it?

I'm so sick of the "dont highlight negative behaviour because it makes it worse" argument. There will always be a period of further problems before improvements. Should woman have not spoken out against workplace sexual harassment because it would have killed their career? A potentially more serious issue (potentially as serious, given death threats have occurred already this year), but the similarities are there.

By highlighting it, it hopefully paves the way for change. We should absolutely call rubbish like this out, just as we should call out racism, sexism etc. In person and online.

I don't disagree - although I think it's hard to draw parallels between actual human interactions (in the workplace or anywhere else) and what someone does online. You do need to shine a light on it, I'm just not sure in this instance if that's going to lead to the necessary change due to the fundamental differences between real-life activity and social media activity. The law is often more complicated in the latter, even if there is an impetus behind legislating against the behaviour. For one, the corporations involved just want to keep people on their platform - no matter what they say - so actually have an incentive to encourage conflict (or at least be fairly passive in how they deal with it).

I think beveridge has had a poor year.

I think Gardner is not AFL standard.

I think Bruce has been way out of shape and been gifted games.

I think gowers is not AFL standard.

I think porter is not AFL standard.

I think criticism has been warranted. I don’t think beveridge handles criticism as well as many coaches.

Abuse is unacceptable. That is all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think criticism has been warranted. I don’t think beveridge handles criticism as well as many coaches.

Agree on all points. Unfortunately the Trolls on social media are out of control and I understand why Bevo is pissed off, but sadly this is a cancer that has no cure. Direct messaging players with abuse is just gutless and cowardly

I seriously doubt Beveridge cares what a bunch of nobodies like us post anonymously on a forum, nor should he. The only criticism he should give any weight to is that which comes from people who work at the club or his peers (other AFL coaches). I don't expect him to take it on the chin if it's coming from Damien Barret or Caroline Wilson. I also don't expect him to read MattDougie's comments on Facebook and take his advice on board.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty simple - if you directly abuse a dogs player on social media - tear up your membership and go elsewhere. Also get a life.
So are you saying that it is alright to target rival clubs players on social media because there is a bit of mixed messaging going on there. Personally i don't do any form of social media apart from the occasional post on here, i once yelled at Kingsley Hunter years ago at the MCG to switch the f***ing ball when he dwelt a little long for my liking, he switched and then looked back at me as i was seated in the pocket. I always felt bad about that day as i got carried away so Kingsley Hunter i hope you can forgive me, but you should have switched as the ball did get to the forward pocket on transition even though we missed the goal.

So are you saying that it is alright to target rival clubs players on social media because there is a bit of mixed messaging going on there. Personally i don't do any form of social media apart from the occasional post on here, i once yelled at Kingsley Hunter years ago at the MCG to switch the f***ing ball when he dwelt a little long for my liking, he switched and then looked back at me as i was seated in the pocket. I always felt bad about that day as i got carried away so Kingsley Hunter i hope you can forgive me, but you should have switched as the ball did get to the forward pocket on transition even though we missed the goal.

Not Sure how you got “it’s alright to target other clubs players” from my post there. No Direct abuse on social media to any afl player is on. It’s beyond pathetic.

i once yelled at Kingsley Hunter years ago at the MCG to switch the f***ing ball when he dwelt a little long for my liking, he switched and then looked back at me as i was seated in the pocket. I always felt bad about that day as i got carried away so Kingsley Hunter i hope you can forgive me, but you should have switched as the ball did get to the forward pocket on transition even though we missed the goal.
About 16-17 years ago, when Bigfooty had 1/1000th of the forum members it has now, we organised a game of footy. I don't rember much of it, other than the goal of the day, which was something that hasn't been seen on a footy field since.*

After the game, half a dozen of us dogs posters kicked on to a pub in Brunswick.

For a bit of background/context to the next part of this story, Kingsley Hunter (and some other players) had significant cult followings on the Bulldogs Bigfooty board at the time, headed by Bulldog1954 and his bro, The_Flying_Egg ("the flying egg" being a shrine to Andrew Wills).

These cult followings were half piss take, half genuine love of the players. These two bigfooty posters had even set up a website for the not-quite-right players of our modern history, particularly "those with physical deformities and general goofiness" - from memory Kingsley Hunter was captain, Trent Bartlett a vice captain, Andrew Wills was on a wing. Premiership coach Luke Beveridge was on a forward flank.

Luke Beveridge actually emailed to thank Bulldog1954 for the honour of being included in this team of misfits, 12 years before he had been appointed our head coach. As David Brent would say, that website was "probably what inspired Beveridge to become a premiership coach, to be honest".

Anyhoo, Kingsley Hunter happened to be having a meal at this pub with his partner. He looked like he didn't want to be bothered, so the six of us ambushed him for a 15 minute chat and a photo as his food was being served. The chances that, of all AFL players, Kingsley Hunter, the people's champion, would be there at a random Bigfooty get together, after a randomly organised game, at a 100% random pub on a random day, at that random hour? About a million to one.

What did he tell us, other than to please leave him alone?

That he'd like to pass on a message to you Yojimbo: He forgives you.

It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

It's. Not. Your. Fault.

He knows he should have switched it earlier. That's why he looked back at you, to acknowledge that you were right. He also knows you were the only bloke on this forum pushing for us to draft Luke Ryan.

Kingsley Hunter knows.

It's not your fault.

*For anyone that want to hear more about my checkside from 40 metres out on the boundary while evading three tacklers, please PM me.

About 16-17 years ago, when Bigfooty had 1/1000th of the forum members it has now, we organised a game of footy. I don't rember much of it, other than the goal of the day, which was something that hasn't been seen on a footy field since.*

After the game, half a dozen of us dogs posters kicked on to a pub in Brunswick.

For a bit of background/context to the next part of this story, Kingsley Hunter (and some other players) had significant cult followings on the Bulldogs Bigfooty board at the time, headed by Bulldog1954 and his bro, The_Flying_Egg ("the flying egg" being a shrine to Andrew Wills).

These cult followings were half piss take, half genuine love of the players. These two bigfooty posters had even set up a website for the not-quite-right players of our modern history, particularly "those with physical deformities and general goofiness" - from memory Kingsley Hunter was captain, Trent Bartlett a vice captain, Andrew Wills was on a wing. Premiership coach Luke Beveridge was on a forward flank.

Luke Beveridge actually emailed to thank Bulldog1954 for the honour of being included in this team of misfits, 12 years before he had been appointed our head coach. As David Brent would say, that website was "probably what inspired Beveridge to become a premiership coach, to be honest".

Anyhoo, Kingsley Hunter happened to be having a meal at this pub with his partner. He looked like he didn't want to be bothered, so the six of us ambushed him for a 15 minute chat and a photo as his food was being served. The chances that, of all AFL players, Kingsley Hunter, the people's champion, would be there at a random Bigfooty get together, after a randomly organised game, at a 100% random pub on a random day, at that random hour? About a million to one.

It's. Not. Your. Fault.

He knows he should have switched it earlier. That's why he looked back at you, to acknowledge that you were right. He also knows you were the only bloke on this forum pushing for us to draft Luke Ryan.

Kingsley Hunter knows.

It's not your fault.

*For anyone that want to hear more about my checkside from 40 metres out on the boundary while evading three tacklers, please PM me.

Post of the millennium, so far.

If the industry you choose to work in is funded by a spectator audience you are going to cop opinions and they’re not all going to be pleasant.

You can’t just take these spectators millions of dollars, lining your pockets off their passion and then complain that they are passionate.

If the industry you choose to work in is funded by a spectator audience you are going to cop opinions and they’re not all going to be pleasant.

You can’t just take these spectators millions of dollars, lining your pockets off their passion and then complain that they are passionate.

Whether you pay money or not no one has a right to message a player through social media with personal abuse and threats.

It's. Not. Your. Fault.

Kingsley Hunter knows.

It's not your fault.

Good write up,

I recall a favourite bigfooty whipping boy (aka Mitch Hahn) making a special mention to the site in a retirement speech

Good write up,

I recall a favourite bigfooty whipping boy (aka Mitch Hahn) making a special mention to the site in a retirement speech
I met Rodney Eade once and can't recall the conversation properly [must have been talking about BF] but I recall he knew my BF name.

The players, rich or not, public or not, are just young people. They have families. Their careers are fleeting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back