Bevo out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I now understand why Beveridge was particularly keen to play Dunkley as the ruck tonight.

Kane Cornes identified this last week, and criticized it during the week, suggesting it's hurting Dunkley's development. Beveridge, with his colossal ego, naturally doesn't like having his tactics questioned, especially by a guy like Kane Cornes who's notorious for stirring people up. In response, instead of just playing Dunkley as the backup ruck, which is already stupid, Beveridge in his infinite wisdom decided to make him our #1 ruck. He was even contesting the ruck contests when English was right there standing next to the mids.

Isn't it great having an egomaniac coaching your club?

Who cares about winning clearances if they're sh*t clearances? Between having a guy like Naitanui palming it down a midfielder's throat, and scrapping for the ball as much as possible to get a kick forward, what do you think is more likely to result in a goal?

Similarly, who cares about winning taps if it goes to the opposition? If the ruck presents as much as an issue as you suggest, then how did we kick 6 goals in the first? Sure we took advantage of a slow-to-start Geelong outfit, but that itself suggests there's more to a game than the ruck. I'd love for the Dogs to reach a stage where we were competition leaders in every asset of the game and winning games and winning Premierships consistently to reflect. But we're not and nor does such a team exist. Each plays to their strengths and attempts to limit their weaknesses. Perhaps our known weakness is our ruck - Trengove gave away a free kick at his first centre bounce for the year, Street is an unknown (perhaps worth a shot, but still an unknown) while English remains our best long-term prospect on our current list - so getting games into him, building his tank early in his career as much as it may cost us at times might not be the poorest idea going around.

I just think the heightened criticism of our ruck situation (this is despite English playing two of his best career games to date this year) is unwarranted. Perhaps it could be looked at in respect to our young and inexperienced list (Geelong fielded the 10 most experienced players of the two teams tonight), our lack of aggression when needed most (refer last year's elimination final and what I see as our 'family-friendly club' ideals that seems to underpin our recruitment), or any combination of other factors.

Gamestyle:
- Again falls apart after dew sets in.
- Disrespects the ruck contest to the disadvantage of our mids time and time again.
- Cannot shut down the game with a 6 goal lead.

Selections:
- inexplicably drops Cavarra for an over the hill Dickson... who does utterly nothing.
- Hayes, not an afl player. Lipinski may lack bite, but he has class and needs games.
- Gardiner. How this guy gets a game, let alone over Cordy, beggars belief.
- JJ is the out. Soft player who’s lacked his “trademark” run and damage ever since the Dees tagged him in 2017.

Ultimately we’ve become total flat track bullies, can beat up on the teams outside the 8, but nowhere near it if the heat is on.

#Bevoout

If the ruck presents as much as an issue as you suggest, then how did we kick 6 goals in the first?
Have you considered that this was more an issue with Geelong than it was a strength for us? Geelong knew they were smashing is in the ruck, so they tuned things up, set themselves up better around the stoppages and proceeded to smash us for 90% of the clearances following qtr time.

We had no hope of responding, because we have an idiot coach, who for 6 years, has never had an ounce of care for the ruck position. This is a moron who was determined to play Ayce Corey ahead of all Australian ruckman Will Minson in 2015.

Have you considered that this was more an issue with Geelong than it was a strength for us? Geelong knew they were smashing is in the ruck, so they tuned things up, set themselves up better around the stoppages and proceeded to smash us for 90% of the clearances following qtr time.

We had no hope of responding, because we have an idiot coach, who for 6 years, has never had an ounce of care for the ruck position. This is a moron who was determined to play Ayce Corey ahead of all Australian ruckman Will Minson in 2015.

Some of us who defend Bevo get criticised for referencing 2016, but if you're going to reference previous seasons, then I can equally point out we made finals in 2015 and won a Premiership in 2016 and made finals in 2019...3 finals, inc. 1 Premiership, in 5 years of coaching - not bad for a 'moron'.

He's making it up as he goes along. Said as much tonight. Not going to harp on about it, but I'm deep into a love/hate relationship with the man at this point.

I'm liking that he is bristling and picking fights, at least he looks up for it. But for *'s sake.

What do you mean always going to clamp is down? They only won by a couple of kicks in the end. If Johannisen and Bruce weren't useless shits, if Crozier didn't single handedly give Geelong 2 free goals, if our coach wasn't an idiot and played a ruckman, then we're effectively a certainty to win that game. Instead, we're a permanent enigma, we will never be consistent.

On board? What do you mean on board? You really think it matters? He's re-signed for the next 4 years. We're stuck with him.
Lay off Crozier ffs! He is a dead set gun and courageous to a fault. He's the guy you want beside you in the trenches. Crozier may win our B&F and certainly wins our most courageous and our most consistent. Crozier is bloody incredible.

Gamestyle:
- Again falls apart after dew sets in.
- Disrespects the ruck contest to the disadvantage of our mids time and time again.
- Cannot shut down the game with a 6 goal lead.

Selections:
- inexplicably drops Cavarra for an over the hill Dickson... who does utterly nothing.
- Hayes, not an afl player. Lipinski may lack bite, but he has class and needs games.
- Gardiner. How this guy gets a game, let alone over Cordy, beggars belief.
- JJ is the out. Soft player who’s lacked his “trademark” run and damage ever since the Dees tagged him in 2017.

Ultimately we’ve become total flat track bullies, can beat up on the teams outside the 8, but nowhere near it if the heat is on.

#Bevoout
Agree with everything barring the Hayes call. He’s no world beater but fits into the system nicely when required and has a lot more leg speed than Lipinski.

Will did okay tonight.

Lay off Crozier ffs! He is a dead set gun ad courageous to a fault. He's the guy you want beside you in the trenches. Crozier may win our B&F and certainly wins our most courageous and our most consistent. Crozier is bloody incredible.
With that said he flew for a few more than he should've tonight.
If JJ's going to wear a spray so should Croz.

Bevo must create an environment where he is challenged, pushed and prodded. The club must change those around him, and his influence in the football department.

A team of “yes” men on match committee leads to the coach not being challenged and admitting that some of his ideas just don’t work. Playing one very average non competitive young ruckman and relying on our onballers to ruck just gives the opposition a free ride. We win only against average teams.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With that said he flew for a few more than he should've tonight.
If JJ's going to wear a spray so should Croz.
I think he tried too hard to get us over the line...something that no one has ever said about JJ. But point taken Mike.

Some of us who defend Bevo get criticised for referencing 2016, but if you're going to reference previous seasons, then I can equally point out we made finals in 2015 and won a Premiership in 2016 and made finals in 2019...3 finals, inc. 1 Premiership, in 5 years of coaching - not bad for a 'moron'.

You call what we served up last September as making finals?

And then we add Keath and Bruce and go backwards?

We won a flag on passion and togetherness and since then our talent and Coaching has proven to it be close to good enough.

Honey, best you don't bring up previous seasons. You have no chance of beating me on this subject.

...but while we're on it, let's have a bit of reflection:

From 2008-2010, we had three consecutive top 4 finishes and three consecutive prelims. Following that up in 2011, we missed the finals, which resulted in the sacking of Rocket, the hiring of Brendan McCartney, and the start of our rebuild. We had 3 years from 2012-2014 under McCartney, never really looked that good, but Dalrymple picked up some ripper players in the draft during that period. McCartney got sacked at the end of 2014, and Griffen, Cooney and Higgins abandoned ship. As if all that weren't bad enough, our reigning best and fairest winner Tom Liberatore tears his ACL in the pre-season. We are now at what appears to be our lowest point when Beveridge comes in. To his credit, against all expectations, we make unbelievable strides and improve drastically in 2015. The drab, uninspired football we played under McCartney was replaced with this fast, dynamic, exciting brand of football, and a lot of players found new levels to their game. We proceed to finish 6th before being knocked out of the finals by Adelaide in extremely disappointing fashion.

In 2016, if you actually judge us on our performance throughout the home and away season, we actually regressed. Sure, losing Robert Murphy to an ACL in round 3 didn't help, but overall we were just less exciting, less consistent, less impressive, and had some really uninspiring losses like Fremantle in the final round of the season. Then the post-season bye came, and what followed was one of the most magical 4 weeks we will ever see as Bulldogs supporters. Keep in mind though, as amazing as we played in that finals series, it did not reflect our form for the 2016 season.

At that exact point, the bubble burst. The new ruck rules were brought in, which proceeded to expose Beveridge's biggest weakness in his matchday tactics: his complete lack of respect for the ruck position. To say it all comes down to the ruck would be disingenuous though, because this is only one of many idiocies that come with having Beveridge as our coach. Sure enough, we spend the next two seasons, 2017 and 2018 at the bottom end of the ladder.

Then 2019 happens, we actually start the season pretty poorly, retaining many of the same problems that have plagued us for the past two seasons (actually, believe it or not, we've had these exact problems since Beveridge started!), but found some really strong form in the second half of the year. It turned out we probably had the best midfield trio in the league with Bontempelli, Macrae and Dunkley, and those three alone were in unbelievable form for the second half of 2019. Couple their form with a somewhat rejuvenated forward line lead by Bailey Dale's breakout purple patch, we got ourselves into the finals, only to be immediately knocked out by GWS in a thrashing.

Now some of you ladies and gentlemen might be wondering why I bothered to summarize 9 years worth of history in a thread about our coach, and that's precisely what I'm about to address: you might notice I bolded a very specific part of an earlier paragraph; the part that says "the start of our rebuild" - to briefly recap, we started our rebuild at the end of 2011. What does that mean?

Well, let us reflect on everything I've written in the context of that statement: We began our rebuild about 9 years ago, and since then, we have only made the finals three times: 6th in 2015, 7th in 2016 and 7th in 2019. If you judge us by our form for the last 9 years, we can very easily conclude that we've been a complete and utter disappointment, and completely failed our rebuild. To counter this point, you might think to bring up the flag we won in 2016, after all, the whole point of a rebuild is to build a list for a flag!... but doesn't this follow into my point from an earlier post? That flag was an anomaly; it was the product of an unbelievable purple patch of form, combined with a number of other factors going our way. It did not reflect our performances from the rest of our 2016 season, and it certainly did not reflect our form in any of the forthcoming seasons.

Taking that into account, can we really say Beveridge has done a good job? Can we really say he's the right man for us? Not once since he was appointed as our senior coach have we ever looked like a consistent, top 4 team. Every single season we've had under him has been marred by the same problems: neglecting the ruck, inefficiency going forward, horrible set shot conversion, among many other things. For all the flack Chris Scott gets from Geelong supporters, at the very least they're a consistent team; they have only missed the finals once since he took the reigns, and has convincingly made top 4 in four of the last five years (including 2020).

In this poster's humble opinion, based on what we saw in the second half of 2019, this current Bulldogs list is the best list we've had in a long time. I would argue it's very much better than the list we had under Rocket for all those prelims, where we were very much a consistent top 4 team. Here we are in 2020: not only are we outside the top 4, we're looking unlikely to even make the 8 this year. At times, we look like a million bucks, at other times we look like a joke. This whole season sums up the nature of Beveridge's tenure as our coach: an eternal enigma, forever inconsistent, forever plagued by the same issues.

Forgive me if I'm a little too negative for your liking, but I'm honestly done with him as our coach. This is his 6th year, in charge, ours 9th year following the start of our rebuild, and we're still on the merry-go-round. The worst part is, we're not getting off that merry-go-round any time soon, because we chose to sign him up long term last year. With the pandemic absolutely mutilating the economy and the AFL suffering its worst financial hardship in decades, we're in no position to pay out any big money contracts, so we're stuck with this obnoxious, egotistical, arrogant coach, still stridently applying the same ridiculous, unreliable, inconsistent match day tactics, all during a period where we might have the most talented list we've had for half a century. It's all so tiresome.

If you can’t see the problems, if you can’t see the stupidity of some of the team selections, matchups and strategies, I give up. Fools paradise.

Honey, best you don't bring up previous seasons. You have no chance of beating me on this subject.

...but while we're on it, let's have a bit of reflection:

From 2008-2010, we had three consecutive top 4 finishes and three consecutive prelims. Following that up in 2011, we missed the finals, which resulted in the sacking of Rocket, the hiring of Brendan McCartney, and the start of our rebuild. We had 3 years from 2012-2014 under McCartney, never really looked that good, but Dalrymple picked up some ripper players in the draft during that period. McCartney got sacked at the end of 2014, and Griffen, Cooney and Higgins abandoned ship. As if all that weren't bad enough, our reigning best and fairest winner Tom Liberatore tears his ACL in the pre-season. We are now at what appears to be our lowest point when Beveridge comes in. To his credit, against all expectations, we make unbelievable strides and improve drastically in 2015. The drab, uninspired football we played under McCartney was replaced with this fast, dynamic, exciting brand of football, and a lot of players found new levels to their game. We proceed to finish 6th before being knocked out of the finals by Adelaide in extremely disappointing fashion.

In 2016, if you actually judge us on our performance throughout the home and away season, we actually regressed. Sure, losing Robert Murphy to an ACL in round 3 didn't help, but overall we were just less exciting, less consistent, less impressive, and had some really uninspiring losses like Fremantle in the final round of the season. Then the post-season bye came, and what followed was one of the most magical 4 weeks we will ever see as Bulldogs supporters. Keep in mind though, as amazing as we played in that finals series, it did not reflect our form for the 2016 season.

At that exact point, the bubble burst. The new ruck rules were brought in, which proceeded to expose Beveridge's biggest weakness in his matchday tactics: his complete lack of respect for the ruck position. To say it all comes down to the ruck would be disingenuous though, because this is only one of many idiocies that come with having Beveridge as our coach. Sure enough, we spend the next two seasons, 2017 and 2018 at the bottom end of the ladder.

Then 2019 happens, we actually start the season pretty poorly, retaining many of the same problems that have plagued us for the past two seasons (actually, believe it or not, we've had these exact problems since Beveridge started!), but found some really strong form in the second half of the year. It turned out we probably had the best midfield trio in the league with Bontempelli, Macrae and Dunkley, and those three alone were in unbelievable form for the second half of 2019. Couple their form with a somewhat rejuvenated forward line lead by Bailey Dale's breakout purple patch, we got ourselves into the finals, only to be immediately knocked out by GWS in a thrashing.

Now some of you ladies and gentlemen might be wondering why I bothered to summarize 9 years worth of history in a thread about our coach, and that's precisely what I'm about to address: you might notice I bolded a very specific part of an earlier paragraph; the part that says "the start of our rebuild" - to briefly recap, we started our rebuild at the end of 2011. What does that mean?

Well, let us reflect on everything I've written in the context of that statement: We began our rebuild about 9 years ago, and since then, we have only made the finals three times: 6th in 2015, 7th in 2016 and 7th in 2019. If you judge us by our form for the last 9 years, we can very easily conclude that we've been a complete and utter disappointment, and completely failed our rebuild. To counter this point, you might think to bring up the flag we won in 2016, after all, the whole point of a rebuild is to build a list for a flag!... but doesn't this follow into my point from an earlier post? That flag was an anomaly; it was the product of an unbelievable purple patch of form, combined with a number of other factors going our way. It did not reflect our performances from the rest of our 2016 season, and it certainly did not reflect our form in any of the forthcoming seasons.

Taking that into account, can we really say Beveridge has done a good job? Can we really say he's the right man for us? Not once since he was appointed as our senior coach have we ever looked like a consistent, top 4 team. Every single season we've had under him has been marred by the same problems: neglecting the ruck, inefficiency going forward, horrible set shot conversion, among many other things. For all the flack Chris Scott gets from Geelong supporters, at the very least they're a consistent team; they have only missed the finals once since he took the reigns, and has convincingly made top 4 in four of the last five years (including 2020).

In this poster's humble opinion, based on what we saw in the second half of 2019, this current Bulldogs list is the best list we've had in a long time. I would argue it's very much better than the list we had under Rocket for all those prelims, where we were very much a consistent top 4 team. Here we are in 2020: not only are we outside the top 4, we're looking unlikely to even make the 8 this year. At times, we look like a million bucks, at other times we look like a joke. This whole season sums up the nature of Beveridge's tenure as our coach: an eternal enigma, forever inconsistent, forever plagued by the same issues.

Forgive me if I'm a little too negative for your liking, but I'm honestly done with him as our coach. This is his 6th year, in charge, and the Bulldogs 9th year following the start of our rebuild, and we're still on the merry-go-round. The worst part is, we're not getting off that merry-go-round any time soon, because we chose to sign him up long term last year. With the pandemic absolutely mutilating the economy and the AFL suffering its worst financial hardship in decades, we're in no position to pay out any big money contracts, so we're stuck with this obnoxious, egotistical, arrogant coach, still stridently applying the same ridiculous, unreliable, inconsistent match day tactics, all during a period where we might have the most talented list we've had for half a century. It's all so tiresome.

Your take on 16 is completely wrong

We did an amazing job to make 7th with the injuries we had ALL year.

We beat Geelong at Cat park without the injuries and finish top 4.

We tanked the Freo game and it didn’t matter whether we won or lost at that stage

The rest I agree with but your assessment of 2016 is miles off.

Fully fit list that year finishes on top and in the end we missed top 4 by one game Which is what makes since then even worse.

Last edited:
Has bevo had sufficient time to build a list to his standard and coach them to how he wants them to play.
He's been in charge for 6 years now. How long should we give him?

I honestly dont know.. How long did Buckley and Hardwick have?

Buckley and Hardwick basically had completely new coaching staff forced on them or they were gone

And not sure why people keep pumping Buckley up, he has won nothing

Come the end of this season the blokes performed above average for 4 weeks in the last like 250 (including 2016).

FinD me a job where that’s acceptable on the coin Bevo would be getting so I can apply.

Sugar coat the bullshit all you want or be sentimental from 2016. Emotion doesn’t cut it. Time to be ruthless. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back