Free Agency Brandon Ellis [Signs for Gold Coast, Richmond receive #39 compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

Am far more comfortable relying on a maxim that, at the very least, seems to have produced a conscionable outcome, rather than procedural form for the mere sake of form.

Why does a conscionable outcome have to come into it?

This is a competition. The competition has rules, all clubs need to work within those rules to give themselves the best chance at winning the premiership every year.

If the AFL wants to bring in rules that promote different winners ie: the draft then that’s fine.

But you can’t set up the rules for all teams but then without warning change the outcome purely because the rule in this instance was going to favour a strong club.

Did Hawthorn get any compo for Hodge after he 'retired' and joined Brisbane as a F/A ?
That always seemed like an odd grey area to me.
He had already lodged the retirement paperwork and wasn't eligible for free agency as a result, so he had to be traded.

The Lions sent a round-three pick (No.43 at the time of trade) and a round-five selection (75) to the Hawks for Hodge and their round-three choice (44).

The AFL isn’t meant to be fair we have been told. Coll and Rich fans quote that all the time when their getting home finals etc etc etc. Surely you can’t be getting your knickers in a knot about this as apparently if you do it’s just tiresome sooking.

Why does a conscionable outcome have to come into it?

This is a competition. The competition has rules, all clubs need to work within those rules to give themselves the best chance at winning the premiership every year.

If the AFL wants to bring in rules that promote different winners ie: the draft then that’s fine.

But you can’t set up the rules for all teams but then without warning change the outcome purely because the rule in this instance was going to favour a strong club.
Are you suggesting Ellis was worth more than a 2nd rounder? I think your club received fair and adequate compo.

The AFL isn’t meant to be fair we have been told. Coll and Rich fans quote that all the time when their getting home finals etc etc etc. Surely you can’t be getting your knickers in a knot about this as apparently if you do it’s just tiresome sooking.

We're asking for the rules to be followed by the letter of the law

1. A home team shall be awarded a final in their home state
2. Free Agency compo will be based on a player's age and contract offer.

One of these rules was followed by the letter of the law, the other was not. That's what fans of all teams are so annoyed by.

Are you suggesting Ellis was worth more than a 2nd rounder? I think your club received fair and adequate compo.

according to the rules system and algorithm he is yeah

thats fine too but why keep the facade going?

as others have said the swans getting shafted for buddy, over the goldenboys gws was crazy too. its decade after decade of rubbish by the administration.

Last edited:

The rules that we have in place (which I don't like fwiw) means it's irrelevant what my subjective opinion on Ellis' worth is.

The rules tell us to look at the objective factors.

Based on his age (26) and his contract length 600k 5 yrs) Ellis is undoubtedly Band 2 compo.

You can't run componsation based on gut feeling and speculating hoW good a player might be.

I think the only reason these objective formulas were thrown out the window was because we won the premiership. It's not the first time this has happened to a premiership team and it won't be the last, and supporters who are more concerned with outcome than process are as equally apart of the problem.

The rules that we have in place (which I don't like fwiw) means it's irrelevant what my subjective opinion on Ellis' worth is.

Based on his age (26) and his contract length 600k 5 yrs) Ellis is undoubtedly Band 2 compo.

You can't run componsation based on gut feeling and speculating hoW good a player might be.

I think the only reason these objective formulas were thrown out the window was because we won the premiership. It's not the first time this has happened to a premiership team and it won't be the last, and supporters who are more concerned with outcome than process are as equally apart of the problem.
I think those rules might have a qualitative component to them. Most things that are purchased and sold do; don’t they?

Would you be glad to give back the 2nd rounder you got and keep Ellis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. They paid him what everyone thought would attract the best compensation. Richmond did well, until the AFL decided they didn't like it.

why would the suns want richmond to get a better draft pick?

from a gold coast perspective that seems strange.

the suns paid him to to get him to join their team. I doubt the richmond compo pick was high on their list of issues

I think those rules might have a qualitative component to them. Most things that are purchased and sold do; don’t they?

So who qualitates the worth of Ellis at AFL House?

Given the difficulty in this I would've thought it doesn't happen and see no precedence where this would've been applied before.

Would you be glad to give back the 2nd rounder you got and keep Ellis?

Again, to me you're asking the wrong questions. My personal opinion is no teams should receive compo for losing a player.

The difference between Band 2 and 3 is quite immaterial to me. The lasting impact that the successful clubs will always be unfairly treated by the AFL for the good of giving everyone a chance at winning a flag (see Sydney) is what I'm more frustrated by, it just so happens I'm a Richmond supporter.

So who qualitates the worth of Ellis at AFL House?

Given the difficulty in this I would've thought it doesn't happen and

Again, to me you're asking the wrong questions. My personal opinion is no teams should receive compo for losing a player...
I think I’m asking the pertinent question; whether the outcome was reasonably fair. I reckon you prefer to shift focus to procedure; because you believe it might have otherwise led to s**t hot, well above fair, compensation. :)

why would the suns want richmond to get a better draft pick?

from a gold coast perspective that seems strange.

the suns paid him to to get him to join their team. I doubt the richmond compo pick was high on their list of issues
It is just good negotiating.

The classic case was the Vickery one where what was thought to be a three year contract was changed at the last minute to a higher contract over two years which conveniently lead to higher compensation. Almost as if someone got wind of the afl's secret formula.

Too much problem, happy to return Ellis back to Richmond.

lel no you enjoy. try him in the backline then try the veal

a stoic and hardnosed half back flank option

It is just good negotiating.

The classic case was the Vickery one where what was thought to be a three year contract was changed at the last minute to a higher contract over two years which conveniently lead to higher compensation. Almost as if someone got wind of the afl's secret formula.

...ellis played in two flags, he was the hardwick love chid. suns paid him a lot to acquire him. i am all for a good conspiracy theory but this is a shocker i fear.

clarkson wanted vickery because he kicked 100s of afl goals. probable would have kicked 100s more if the hawks nutters didnt bully him on social media

It is a big deal because everyone knows it's wrong.
If it was a Gold Coast player going to Richmond, would have the compo been the same?

We may well laugh when someone else is on the end of an injustice, but it doesn't make it right.
Most reasonable people would be sick of the AFLs constant manipulation.

Pretty much spot on , The afl does things to accommodate its agenda at the time, Ablett to cats needed a pick cats didnt have and motlop was never a band 2 pick
Honestly, the saltiness of the Tigers fans is incredible. You won a flag only a week ago, oh but of course the AFL is corrupt and just out to get you.

Spare me.

LOL St Kilda fan talking about salt - Gold

Broadly, the outcome FEELS right. It just does; perhaps even a touch overs. The Herbs and Spices formula worked well on this latest occasion.
Outcome is fine nobody has an issue with this but the other outcomes didnt feel fine with Lycett & Motlop the stand out
Your club did not recieve a compo for waite but Pies recieved a compo for a 1 year $300k folsol compo - Did you feel that was right ?
This is whats being debated

Pretty much spot on , The afl does things to accommodate its agenda at the time, Ablett to cats needed a pick cats didnt have and motlop was never a band 2 pick

LOL St Kilda fan talking about salt - Gold

Outcome is fine nobody has an issue with this but the other outcomes didnt feel fine with Lycett & Motlop the stand out
Your club did not recieve a compo for waite but Pies recieved a compo for a 1 year $300k folsol compo - Did you feel that was right ?
This is whats being debated

but are you not worried about what Carlton and Saints supporters feel instead of the rules and system?

Ellis did well too. 3 million bucks is not to be sneezed at if true. Good luck to the lad hopefully he does great
Yes I agree. Furthermore, despite Fireman Kane’s suggestion that GCS will be the loser for signing him up, I reckon Ellis will serve them well. Everyone wins.

I don’t think they will want him back. Reckon they prefer to keep the r2 pick.; and good on them. They did ok out of this transaction. As they should.
I don't know way I just feel like taking a refund and return the goods. I still keeping the receipt, not yet open, he is still in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back