Free Agency Brandon Ellis [Signs for Gold Coast, Richmond receive #39 compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a few young guys in the VFL that can take Brandos spot which has given him the kick up the arse that he needed.
Richmond would not even know he left

Short , Naish , Turner , Bolton , Butler , Baker , Menadue ould all play his position tomorrow and we wouldnt miss a beat, Its an area we have alot of depth in

I’d be keen for the right price as he has experience and plays a role that we need covered by a mature player.

That being said - he seems to be a bit of a turn over merchant when the Richmond backline is under pressure, so he would likely face the same pressure in our defence.

I can’t see the tigers offering him big money to stay - nor can I see clubs falling over themselves to throw money at him to leave, so I think best case is that Richmond end up with Band 3 compensation (but more likely Band 4).

I’d be keen for the right price as he has experience and plays a role that we need covered by a mature player.

That being said - he seems to be a bit of a turn over merchant when the Richmond backline is under pressure, so he would likely face the same pressure in our defence.

I can’t see the tigers offering him big money to stay - nor can I see clubs falling over themselves to throw money at him to leave, so I think best case is that Richmond end up with Band 3 compensation (but more likely Band 4).

With very little quality available in this years free agent crop, You might find that there will be a bit of interest in Ellis

He is a better player than Reece Conca was at Richmond and he managed to get a good deal at freo which would have got Richmond #34 had we not lured Tom Lynch.

$600k x 4 year deal imo getting the Tigers a Band 2

With very little quality available in this years free agent crop, You might find that there will be a bit of interest in Ellis

He is a better player than Reece Conca was at Richmond and he managed to get a good deal at freo which would have got Richmond #34 had we not lured Tom Lynch.

600k for Ellis is pretty steep. I don't reckon he gets that.

Perhaps 450k-500k ball park on 4 years. Still good money.

I take your point re: Conca getting the deal that he did (and the subsequent compensatory pick), but I don't think that directly translates to Brandon Ellis getting a better deal. Different markets and circumstances.

Given his experience he may attract a few suitors (Carlton, North, WB) but in my opinion - I doubt he'd be getting any offers north of $500k - despite clubs knowing Richmond's cap would be tight and wouldn't be inclined to match.

Forget cogs Will end up at the hawks as their next “big fish”.

Of course the hawks will have again trumped everyone by feigning interest in cogs ,right to the last minute of course before “pulling out of the race” (with all of their gushing supporters later declaring “they were never even in it to begin with!!!”)
So as to allow the club to announce to the football world its true marquee FA target, all along
......Brandon Ellis

Will get some godfather offers if he keeps this form up. Expendable player, which means Richmond are in a great position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

600k for Ellis is pretty steep. I don't reckon he gets that.

Perhaps 450k-500k ball park on 4 years. Still good money.

Another great game today by Brandon Ellis and easily in the best 5 players on the ground
20 kicks , 15 Handballs 10 contested possessions 5 clearances 85% DE

With our leaders missing this year (Cotchin , Rance , Riewoldt) Ellis has taken his game to another level and averaging 24 poss a game this year with 78% DE

Another great game today by Brandon Ellis and easily in the best 5 players on the ground
20 kicks , 15 Handballs 10 contested possessions 5 clearances 85% DE

With our leaders missing this year (Cotchin , Rance , Riewoldt) Ellis has taken his game to another level and averaging 24 poss a game this year with 78% DE

North will love him

Forget cogs Will end up at the hawks as their next “big fish”.

Of course the hawks will have again trumped everyone by feigning interest in cogs ,right to the last minute of course before “pulling out of the race” (with all of their gushing supporters later declaring “they were never even in it to begin with!!!”)
So as to allow the club to announce to the football world its true marquee FA target, all along
......Brandon Ellis

YAWN.

Fremantle the club that gave the Hawks Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell in exchange for Luke McPharlin.
No wonder why your club is unlikely to win a premiership.

Is it a done deal from what you are hearing?

No but I cant see Richmond affording to pay BEllis what he is worth.

However he is a premiership player, seems to love the club and is apparently doing well with business outside of footy. Maybe he will take unders to hang around?

He will be a good asset for whoever has him

Last edited:
If I am Richmond, I would let Ellis go, clear up some valuable cap space and cash in on the FA compo pick.

He is a good player but no world beater, and given their depth, expendable (in my opinion)

I’d be keen. Carlton lack player of his age profile. Has his deficiencies, but still adds value. Reckon Simmo is will retire at season’s end and Thomas to retire either this year or next. Even with Doc coming back, still leaves a spot up for grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back