Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was surprised to receive a prison bars guernsey in the mail today. A knock off of course, but a decent quality one. Turns out I drunk eBayed it on Saturday night.

As sensible as you believe your opinion may be, you need to understand there is no sense in following a football club.
You do it for many different reasons, but none of them are about logic.

You do it to honour family, to be reminded of good times spent with them.
You do it because it is a rock in a lifetime in which everything else changes.
You do it to feel a part of something, so you are not alone.
You do it because it makes you feel something.
You do it so every week you have something to look forward to.

There is no sense in any of this, its about things much more important than sense.

Our stake is firmly in the ground, you don't have the right to tell me to move the rock that holds my life in place.
You may have reconciled with your mistakes, but I damn well won't make the same ones.

To say that we must give up the right to be who we are is a nonsense.
What we are is why I spend money at this football club each year.

Unless you want to pay for my membership, pull your head in and return to your island with the skipper, gilligan and the rest of your sensible lot.
Beautiful.
Is someone cutting onions?

I guess that I have always assumed that there were people like me supporting every club. People to whom the symbols of the club - the guernsey, the home ground, the mascot - were sacrosanct. People who were steadfast in their belief that their club was the greatest in the world. People who need to make the pilgrimage to their own holiest place 10 or 12 times every year. People who respected and honoured the traditions and commandments taught to us by a lifetime of fealty. People whose love for their club equalled or exceeded their other lifetime loves of family.

I am wrong. We, the Port Adelaide Football club and the vast majority of our supporters, are unique. The club makes us so, and we make the club so.

I guess that I have always assumed that there were people like me supporting every club. People to whom the symbols of the club - the guernsey, the home ground, the mascot - were sacrosanct. People who were steadfast in their belief that their club was the greatest in the world. People who need to make the pilgrimage to their own holiest place 10 or 12 times every year. People who respected and honoured the traditions and commandments taught to us by a lifetime of fealty. People whose love for their club equalled or exceeded their other lifetime loves of family.

I am wrong. We, the Port Adelaide Football club and the vast majority of our supporters, are unique. The club makes us so, and we make the club so.
There's a reason we had unparalleled success and we are ever so slowly remembering it.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Gotta fork out 1k to fix my car tomorrow but still tempted to head to the club and grab one of these beautiful jumpers for the showdown… even though I have our 2020 and 2014 PB in the cupboard:sweatsmile:
Just purchased.
It arrived today! Lucky my girlfriend was home because despite my clear instructions to leave the parcel at the door, the postman was about to walk off with it. My girlfriend dashed outside to get it from him. I've told her she's done well for a Crows supporter.

Eddie! no one gives a s**t about what Graham Cornes thinks and it wasn't just Port fans complaining about the Crows wearing a state Guernsey, some of their own fans, ex players and coaches were also against it, Also The Crows ain't the state side, they have zero affiliation with that Jumper so why would they even want to wear it anyway? I can't believe the AFL bows down to this numb skull 😂 What a pathetic organisation

Eddie! no one gives a sh*t about what Graham Cornes thinks and it wasn't just Port fans complaining about the Crows wearing a state Guernsey, some of their own fans, ex players and coaches were also against it, Also The Crows ain't the state side, they have zero affiliation with that Jumper so why would they even want to wear it anyway? I can't believe the AFL bows down to this numb skull 😂 What a pathetic organisation
This is a case of "internal perspective" v. external perspective."

A beloved Sandgroper thought it would be cool.
I think it would be awesome! But neither of us are Croweaters...

Wasn't there a year in which we won a flag and a player from the opposite team said "sorry, South Australia" or something like it? Well, that would be the spirit.

Look, they believe in this b*llsh*t myth that they represent the state. As BS as it may be, that was precisely the idea when they were born.

The SANFL decided to have one club representing the league in the AFL; a club from scratch; the Crows. So, none of its clubs would go. (By "none," I mean "us.") West Lakes are a bastard child of the SANFL. They are the Sanful United. That would be undeniable.

Us wearing the PB is Port being Port. Their case is completely different. Would that be the state guernsey? No. It wouldn't. It would be the Crows being Crows. They cannot be the state.

It's more like "Look, dad. Just like you." But in reality it is just a child playing pretend. They may believe whatever, but it would always be a Crows jumper that resembles that state guernsey. Nothing more.

Those jumpers clashing would fit perfectly on my view of the Showdown: Us v. The Delusional Rest

---

P.S.: Besides, if they want to go on with that, who would end up being the greatest club in their "Heritage" history?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie! no one gives a sh*t about what Graham Cornes thinks and it wasn't just Port fans complaining about the Crows wearing a state Guernsey, some of their own fans, ex players and coaches were also against it, Also The Crows ain't the state side, they have zero affiliation with that Jumper so why would they even want to wear it anyway? I can't believe the AFL bows down to this numb skull 😂 What a pathetic organisation
He rang Graham Cornes to discuss it lmao

Hi folks. A couple of years ago I got a PB jumper made up by Freight Train from the Footy Jumpers & Graphic Design board on Big Footy. At the time there weren't any at the Port Store & I wanted to support his new venture. Given they are apparently thin on the ground again, perhaps send him a PM if you're interested. They won't obviously be ready for this weekend, but if you want to get one made for future use he'd be happy to help! It's virtually a cleanskin - no registered trademark logos/sponsors on it (which I think I prefer!). Freight Train has been a strong supporter of our push to wear the PBs so I'm very happy to send people his way.

I recognise that this won't be a popular opinion but just wanted to say that I think it is actually a good thing for Port that the AFL ruled against the Prison Bar guernsey for the showdown.

The reality of the situation is that Collingwood has the black and white stripe jumper rights for the AFL because they were part of that league first. This is a situation that is never going to change, so constantly revisiting the situation just keeps ripping the scab of that wound and stops your club and supporters from moving on properly.

To put things in perspective. Collingwood actually wanted to wear red, white, and blue way back when they joined the VFA, because they were the colours of their predecessor club (which I think was called Britannia), but they couldn't because Footscray already had red, white, and blue in that competition. To Collingwood's credit they obviously changed their colours and moved on. I think it is time Port Adelaide Power did the same.

The old jumpers are still on display weekly in the SANFL, and they will probably get occasional runs during AFL heritage theme rounds again in the future. That will hopefully be some consolation to the traditionalists.

But the most important consolation should be that you have a strong club in the national league. No other SANFL club has that, I'm sure many other clubs/supporters would have happily changed their jumper and colours more than slightly for such an outcome.

My own club changed it's trading name, to broaden its appeal to surrounding suburbs, which I didn't like but am OK with because I still have a club in the national league, which is obviously the most important thing.

If you can't keep your old traditions going exactly as they were, adjust them accordingly, they will become old traditions again soon enough.
I recognise that this won't be a popular opinion but I think you should eat my butt.

Anyone keen for an Eddie’s a w***er chant?

Not this week. Visual rather than vocal would be my preference.

This week, during NTUA, I will be holding up a guernsey rather than my scarf (still be wearing a guernsey as well).

Obviously, I will still sway my hips until they fracture 😎

Not this week. Visual rather than vocal would be my preference.

This week, during NTUA, I will be holding up a guernsey rather than my scarf (still be wearing a guernsey as well).

Obviously, I will still sway my hips until they fracture
Can BBTB promote a pic of fans holding up their bars to encourage everyone to do this.

As a silent (well singing) protest it would be epic and the strongest statement we could make.

Also Eddie's face will turn purple.

I hope he gets scheduled for our game so he has to watch it.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

SUNS and GWS have zero heritage though, so unless they played each other that round it wouldn't be fair. Bwahahaha.

Suns can wear Karmichael Hunt memorial jumpers.

Giants can wear Isreal Folau memorial jumpers.

Suns can wear QAFL guernseys.

The Boggo Road jumper?

E0mhyuaUYAY0z49

Port Adelaide Football Club - over 150 years old, the most successful top tier football club in Australia and the only professional football club in the world that is prevented from wearing its preferred uniform because of a case of the media bullying a governing body.

When the AFL ask Port for its three requests for the 2022 fixture it should be:
1. Heritage Round
2. Heritage Round
3. Heritage Round

Last edited:
Port Adelaide Football Club - over 150 years old, the most successful top tier football club in Australia and the only professional football club in the world that is prevented from wearing its preferred uniform because of a case of the media bullying a governing body.

When the AFL ask Port for its three requests for the 2022 fixture it should be:
1. Heritage Round
2. Heritage Round
3. Heritage Round
Second tier.
In the top tier, Essendon and Carlton are the most successful.
In the current National AFL era, it would be Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back