Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There were plenty of other teams he could have joined in 2013. West Coast, GWS, Freo. I am certain each of these teams at the time would have given a better opportunity of a flag.
He's had 4 top 4 finishes, 5 times to the semis, 3 prelims and 2 grand finals while at Sydney, how would of those other clubs given him a better opportunity for a flag?

Dual premiership player already and plays in a perennial top 4 team.

Wins all Australian and is top 3 in the league for goals pretty much every year he plays the full season.

Oh and earns around $1.1 million a year or in other words around $92,000 drops into his bank account every month (excluding commercial income) until the age of 35.

Yeah, he would be filled with regret:rolleyes:

It now needs to be asked whether Buddy made a huge mistake - not so much leaving Hawthorn- but joining Sydney.

There were plenty of other teams he could have joined in 2013. West Coast, GWS, Freo. I am certain each of these teams at the time would have given a better opportunity of a flag.

Then there is misisng out on two flags at his old team and being part of history.

Yep he has the big bucks but surely he will consider his move to the Swans as the worst move he could have made given he is one of the greatest players to play the game.

Discuss
Probably rule out the WA clubs because he didn't want to be in Melbourne yet alone move to the fishbowl of Perth. Good luck getting Jesinta there and dodging the media.

Even if he did though Freo had peaked in 2013. They were still towards the top in 2014 but the injuries were starting to kick in and I don't think they would've won a flag with Buddy in 2014, even if they did they still would've needed a heavy rebuild now. West Coast came from nowhere in 2015 and Buddy would've helped them. Although they had a dangerous forward line and great defensive system how it was and really they needed more midfield class to match the Hawks in the Grand Final. Since then they've been found out for an ordinary list who had a tactical advantage for a year.

So it comes down to GWS v Sydney. The Giants may well have won the flag last year with Buddy. That's a fair thing to say. But Buddy would've changed their current list so much it's a huge hypothetical. The trips down to Canberra and playing in front of tiny crowds at Spotless don't compare to a full SCG either.

At the Swans he's played finals each year, played in 2 Grand Finals and I think started both as favourite and he's had a strong backline and elite midfield feeding him the whole time. Maybe just as importantly he's recovered from a mental health break without drama. My guess is at age 30 he's got 2 more years of top quality footy left in him at which point he would've given the Swans 6 years of great footy and every chance they would've been in flag contention the entire time. The last few years might be a battle but it's looking like a great deal.

He's had 4 top 4 finishes, 5 times to the semis, 3 prelims and 2 grand finals while at Sydney, how would of those other clubs given him a better opportunity for a flag?
Well GWS is still going to contend for years. They made it darn close to a GF without Buddy. So absolutely GWS

West Coast 2015? He and Josh Kennedy ripping it up along with Nic Nat. Not sure Hawks would have won.

Freo - great pressure with no forward pressure. Buddy the misisng piece. Maybe the most ambitious one put forward by me but they finished high in 14 and 15 so who knows

Probably rule out the WA clubs because he didn't want to be in Melbourne yet alone move to the fishbowl of Perth. Good luck getting Jesinta there and dodging the media.

Even if he did though Freo had peaked in 2013. They were still towards the top in 2014 but the injuries were starting to kick in and I don't think they would've won a flag with Buddy in 2014, even if they did they still would've needed a heavy rebuild now. West Coast came from nowhere in 2015 and Buddy would've helped them. Although they had a dangerous forward line and great defensive system how it was and really they needed more midfield class to match the Hawks in the Grand Final. Since then they've been found out for an ordinary list who had a tactical advantage for a year.

So it comes down to GWS v Sydney. The Giants may well have won the flag last year with Buddy. That's a fair thing to say. But Buddy would've changed their current list so much it's a huge hypothetical. The trips down to Canberra and playing in front of tiny crowds at Spotless don't compare to a full SCG either.

At the Swans he's played finals each year, played in 2 Grand Finals and I think started both as favourite and he's had a strong backline and elite midfield feeding him the whole time. Maybe just as importantly he's recovered from a mental health break without drama. My guess is at age 30 he's got 2 more years of top quality footy left in him at which point he would've given the Swans 6 years of great footy and every chance they would've been in flag contention the entire time. The last few years might be a battle but it's looking like a great deal.
Could have done a Dusty (of sorts) and gone to GWS for less dosh.

I'm not sure how you can seriously argue he'd have had better chances at a flag outside of Sydney. Our worst finish in about 7 years is a semi final and he's played in 2 grand finals.

Well GWS is still going to contend for years. They made it darn close to a GF without Buddy. So absolutely GWS

West Coast 2015? He and Josh Kennedy ripping it up along with Nic Nat. Not sure Hawks would have won.

Freo - great pressure with no forward pressure. Buddy the misisng piece. Maybe the most ambitious one put forward by me but they finished high in 14 and 15 so who knows
Sydney also won a premiership before Buddy, Buddy not necessarily the reason why these teams would win a premiership. you say GWS will contend for years to come, why can't Sydney? They are 15 wins 3 losses over their last 18 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney also won a premiership before Buddy, Buddy not necessarily the reason why these teams would win a premiership. you say GWS will contend for years to come, why can't Sydney? They are 15 wins 3 losses over their last 18 games.
They won because Buddy was a liability to Hawthorn in 2012 so another poster said

Buddy can't win

You honestly reckon GWS doesn't have a crazy awesome young list? Sydney winning off Buddy's boot for the last couple of years is not evidence of future success

Dual premiership player already and plays in a perennial top 4 team.

Wins all Australian and is top 3 in the league for goals pretty much every year he plays the full season.

Oh and earns around $1.1 million a year or in other words around $92,000 drops into his bank account every month (excluding commercial income) until the age of 35.

Yeah, he would be filled with regret:rolleyes:
I just don't believe that. I actually love Buddy and the thing I love most about the guy is how competitive he is and how much of a team player he is. He would totally be burning about missing out on flags in successive years. His team mates and coach have let him down if I'm frank

They won because Buddy was a liability to Hawthorn in 2012 so another poster said

Buddy can't win

You honestly reckon GWS doesn't have a crazy awesome young list? Sydney winning off Buddy's boot for the last couple of years is not evidence of future success
I never said GWS don't have a young awesome list, but you think Sydney is a one man team?

Are you including the year he missed the finals?

Heeney and JK3 are great. Parker and Mills are pretty good. But yeah they're over-rated and can't handle finals pressure
GWS havent proven anything in finals either. Why is it a different story for them?

Yeah he lost out on 2 flags, but he will have more chances in the next few years to win a few more, plus he's a much richer man. If he was at the Hawks now, That would be it, no more flags coming for the next 5 years. It's not like he hasn't had the chances to win them. Technically he could have won more at the Swans than GWS or the Hawks if they had won the GF's they lost.

Back