CA wants India to play two day-night Tests in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

That last hour under lights tonight was awesome

Balmy weather, great contest between bat and ball

I’m a cricket tragic - but that’s the future right there

Yes there are different conditions, but some grounds have dew for the first session as well - that’s what makes it a test

Such a pity WA had to kowtow to the east coast tv market - the whole last session under lights would have been fantastic
The third session - to use the technical term - rated its **** off.

We'll have day night tests in Perth for a long time.

I don't really like the day/night test matches much, too much of a change in conditions between the afternoon and evening sessions.

That's why I love them. In this era where most things are stacked in favour of batsmen it's great having these regular little periods in games where things get turned on their head.

That's why I love them. In this era where most things are stacked in favour of batsmen it's great having these regular little periods in games where things get turned on their head.
Agreed. I'd also like to see opposition sides get the choice of batting or bowling first rather than having it decided by a coin toss.

I'm sick of all these one-sided test series' happening all over the world. It's time to make some changes.

The third session - to use the technical term - rated its **** off.

We'll have day night tests in Perth for a long time.
Hated it. Went too late. Yes I know I'm posting this near midnight but surely Brisbane is better suited to it?

Hated it. Went too late. Yes I know I'm posting this near midnight but surely Brisbane is better suited to it?

What this guy said....

And if I have to sacrifice my Christmas holiday sleep-ins to watch tests start at 7.30am for the last 35 years, you soft eastern-staters can surely handle staying up til 11pm three or four nights a year!

Not sure what to make of these day night tests. I have a real issue that it’s still a majority day game and especially in Perth it’s only an hour or two at most a night match every day. This becomes a lottery and can also be very unfair for one side.
Take the alternative of preparing a green wicket which is doing a fair bit, one side is knocked over for 180 and then they get to bowl on the same wicket which is much fairer.
All we have achieved is that they get to prepare a road as a test pitch now, but once night kicks in the ball behaves differently in the air and hence wickets seem to fall quickly on the same road.
Now of course some sides are simply better than others and some bowling attacks are better than others but it seems to be happening quite regularly that batting in the night session is like moving the game to another venue.
i used to always go to the test match in Perth on day one because I knew I Woukd see a contest between bat and ball and more than likely see a days play where plenty of wickets fell and really good batsman could still play well.
I have not been to a test in years now because I have no interest watching cricket played on a highway which is now the norm that is dished up.
Lets face it this is simply a tv product and the sport suffers for it.

I can understand people's concerns about it creating a uneven playing field depending on when you bat, but to me it's no different to the age old unfairness of one team having to bat last on a deteriorating pitch.

The only difference is we've been conditioned to embrace one as part of the game while we're still getting used to the other.

If anything the twilight conditions are the fairer of the two, because there's a good chance both teams will have to bat in them over the game, perhaps even multiple times each, whereas it's always only one team getting the short straw of trying to chase totals on a last day pitch.

Not sure what to make of these day night tests. I have a real issue that it’s still a majority day game and especially in Perth it’s only an hour or two at most a night match every day. This becomes a lottery and can also be very unfair for one side.
Take the alternative of preparing a green wicket which is doing a fair bit, one side is knocked over for 180 and then they get to bowl on the same wicket which is much fairer.
All we have achieved is that they get to prepare a road as a test pitch now, but once night kicks in the ball behaves differently in the air and hence wickets seem to fall quickly on the same road.
Now of course some sides are simply better than others and some bowling attacks are better than others but it seems to be happening quite regularly that batting in the night session is like moving the game to another venue.
i used to always go to the test match in Perth on day one because I knew I Woukd see a contest between bat and ball and more than likely see a days play where plenty of wickets fell and really good batsman could still play well.
I have not been to a test in years now because I have no interest watching cricket played on a highway which is now the norm that is dished up.
Lets face it this is simply a tv product and the sport suffers for it.

Congratulations on your pigheaded ignorance.

Do explain how exactly this current test is exhibiting any characteristics of a road? Or perhaps the India test last summer where the pitch was lauded for the entertaining cricket it produced?

Yes Australia are comfortably on top, but contest between bat and ball has been all you could ask for and the gap between the sides can be put down to excellent performances by Labuschagne & Starc and correspondingly disappointing batting by the Kiwis save for Taylor and Williamson.

I cannot fathom why you would subject yourself to such self-inflicted negativity and misguided righteousness. Is it better to seek sympathetic attention or simply get on with life? Cricket still gives us so much each year, it constantly evolves and while I do not like every direction it takes (ie. the Hundred nonsense) we will always see brilliant exhbitions of individual brilliance and meaning from a team / historic context.

Get out there and enjoy yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they play in Brisbane then Perth misses out, so which would people prefer?
Perth.

Gabba is a s**t hole. SCG isn't far behind for the normal public.... Crowds are average in Sydney given population and the 'home team' too.

You want tests, spend money on the facilities.

It's exactly what I heard Perths representatives say...

MCG would wanna fix their pitch though.... If they didn't have a mortgage on the public holiday they'd have to get their act together.

I've always liked day/night cricket but this summer after watching a good chunk of the adelaide day/night test, and watching most of the Perth test as well as attending Friday, I seriously love day/night tests. Honestly hope we aren't too far away from majority of tests being day/night ones

Regular test pros:
-Tradition

Day/night test pros:
-Able to get home from work and watch a good chunk of play on TV
-Good to get some mates around or go to a pub and watch some evening cricket.
-Able to attend much more easily after work.
-Under lights makes some very entertaining cricket
-Under lights creates a whole new tactical element to the game.
-Better for players and performance/quality by avoiding some of the worst of the daily heat

Regular tests I'll try and keep up with the score on my phone at work at try watch a little on the weekend, but day/night tests I can actually watch a good portion of the match and makes it way easier to attend.

Day/night cricket is the future and what will save test cricket.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd also like to see opposition sides get the choice of batting or bowling first rather than having it decided by a coin toss.

I'm sick of all these one-sided test series' happening all over the world. It's time to make some changes.

Does the home side win the toss more often than the away side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back