Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

He is obviously a decent coach, but decent isn't enough in a league as tough as this one. The contract extension before end of the season was a bit weird.

It reminds me of Rafa Benitez at Liverpool late 2000's. Decent coach, decent results, but after several years without the chocolates it's probably time for the club to go in a different direction.

Port seem to be working on the theory that if you get yourself into contention for long enough, the law of averages will fall in your favour eventually. It worked for Geelong in 2022, but for the most part premierships seem to be won by teams maximising their small window of opportunity...

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

He is obviously a decent coach, but decent isn't enough in a league as tough as this one. The contract extension before end of the season was a bit weird.

It reminds me of Rafa Benitez at Liverpool late 2000's. Decent coach, decent results, but after several years without the chocolates it's probably time for the club to go in a different direction.

Port seem to be working on the theory that if you get yourself into contention for long enough, the law of averages will fall in your favour eventually. It worked for Geelong in 2022, but for the most part premierships seem to be won by teams maximising their small window of opportunity...

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
I do follow the EPL. Yes he won a champions league trophy in 2005 and an FA cup in 2006. The only big play he bought was fernando Torres in 2007 for 25 million pounds. Manchester United and Chelsea bought expensive players from 2002-07.

You could also say the Same thing about Arsene Wenger at Arsenal after 2006: Yeah they moved into that Brad New 60,000 seat emirates stadim. But Arsenal had to pay off that stadium. So half the cash they earned in ticket sales, went to paying off that stadium.

From 2008 onwards after Liverpool bought Torres, I do remember Manchester city spending lots of money as they had the New Middle eastern Owner too.

Ken Hinkley wouldn't have coached Brisbane 2001-04 to a Premiership.
well you got high standards so I respect that.

Hinkley would of got at least 1 flag for west coast in the 1990s. He Probably would of coached Carlton to a flag in 1993-96. Would Ken Hinkley as a 57 year old coach got Geelong to a flag between 1989-1995? Maybe. 1992 would of been the golden chance despite the cats losing by 6 points in the 1989 grand final.

Is he a motivator? yes he is. Tactical Genius? nope.

I can understand your dislike towards Hinkley. 3 prelim finals and no flag. Fair enough.

Just a reminder, your team could be in a much worse situation.

Can we ?

Yes. We’ve got the list for it.

Will we?

Well plenty of teams that could or should win one miss all the time. I mean melb have in theory looked like a contender on paper every year since they won their last, but have fizzled.

It’s just so easy to have a season not work out, players form dips, injuries, coach is too slow to adjust to other teams adjustments etc.

And Hinkley has a history of failure to overcome.

2014 Port 5th
2015 Port 9th
2016 Port 10th
2017 Port 5th (Hinkley contract year.)
2018 Port 10th
2019 Port 10th
2020 Port 1st (Hinkley contract year.)
2021 Port 2nd
2022 Port 11th
2023 Port 3rd (Hinkley contract year.)

hinkley's only focus is on banking up a good W/L record early on during end of contract years so he can get an early extension, then bomb out in the finals.

Go Away Reaction GIF

No - but he’s never had the squad to do it anyway, no matter what their supporters think.

Does Collingwood or GWS team scream premiership squad? A couple of years ago their lists were on the scrap heap.

sh*tstain Hinkley has been there 11 ******* years. The coach has input into list decisions. It's his ******* team.

The fact is he's a loser and if he we had a squad of 22 All Australians he still couldn't win it.

Stop making excuses for the biggest loser coach of all time.

Does Collingwood or GWS team scream premiership squad? A couple of years ago their lists were on the scrap heap.

sh*tstain Hinkley has been there 11 ******* years. The coach has input into list decisions. It's his ******* team.

The fact is he's a loser and if he we had a squad of 22 All Australians he still couldn't win it.

Stop making excuses for the biggest loser coach of all time.
It's very tough to win a premiership in this league if you're based outside of Victoria, and GWS this year had a very similar year to Port in 2014 so it won't surprise me if they tread water from here like Port did from 2015 onwards.

10 of the last 16 premiership winners have been teams that have played a large amount of games at the MCG.

It's very tough to win a premiership in this league if you're based outside of Victoria, and GWS this year had a very similar year to Port in 2014 so it won't surprise me if they tread water from here like Port did from 2015 onwards.

10 of the last 16 premiership winners have been teams that have played a large amount of games at the MCG.

of course, it's very tough, but why make it even harder by handicapping yourself with a loser coach? no one in the history of the game has had this long to not get the job done.

That's not really relevant in Port's case under Ken though, how many home finals have they blown under Kern and inability to get over the Prelim Final hump ?

There is no logical reason to defend Hinkley's Finals record at all, unless one is a Port hating troll who doesn't want PAFC to win another flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone posted a stat the other day that all other coaches who have coached as many games as Hinkley has won a flag. Every single one.

Hinkley hasn't even made a Grand Final yet.

Difficult to argue against that, really...

of course, it's very tough, but why make it even harder by handicapping yourself with a loser coach? no one in the history of the game has had this long to not get the job done.
Ports problems are mild compared to dockers.

Port doesn't have issues retaining players.

The dockers do.

Funny that, crows fàns didn't complain in 1997-8. They sure as well wouldn't of complained had they made the 2005 or 2006 or 2012 grand final vs the swans.

Again.... Thank Freo for kicking up a stink in 2010 where each non Vic side gets 1 MCG game a year.

Can't wait for Tassie and a 20th side gets in. More non Vic sides

Someone posted a stat the other day that all other coaches who have coached as many games as Hinkley has won a flag. Every single one.

Hinkley hasn't even made a Grand Final yet.

Difficult to argue against that, really...
So Ken Hinkley is a bigger loser coach than Ross Lyon? LoL

Hinkley really should have been sacked after 2021. If he could not win one of the COVID flags of 2020 or 2021 after finishing top 2 both seasons then he never will.

The COVID years Port had a leg up over VicBias having home ground advantage throughout but failed against Vic teams who had to travel all year.

You could possibly forgive falling just short against Richmond in 2020 as a dynasty team but once they lost by a million points to the bulldogs in the 2021 home prelim surely that cemented what a loser Hinkley is . He obviously no longer cares and is just in it for the pay.

Perhaps. The main thing in their way is that their list is s**t and Ken's a crap coach.
Equalization mate. lol

North Struggle and Norths Reward? A Priority pick or 2.

Port Power make finals in 2023 and Ports reward? Port gives Ken Hinkley a 2 year extension and slowly rot with him and Koch. lol

Again... Equalization. lol

Ken Hinkley has been treated so unfairly by port fans who think this is the SANFL. He literally rebuillt your club brick by brick and saved it from extinction.

Imagine GCS were this ungrateful.

Ken is one of the greatest minds and thinkers in all of afl.

The least you can do is let him leave on his own terms and give him respect.

This is really his first year with his own list. The last year's has been primuses list without cattle.

Some teams with die for a couple of prelims and coach of the years coach
I have always respected you, even if you are an eagles fan.

I have respected your neutral view on non WA clubs.

That's not really relevant in Port's case under Ken though, how many home finals have they blown under Kern and inability to get over the Prelim Final hump ?

There is no logical reason to defend Hinkley's Finals record at all, unless one is a Port hating troll who doesn't want PAFC to win another flag
That's me😉

The manner of the PF thrashing at home by the Bulldogs in 21 and this years meek fade out at home to Giants were terrible finals losses. I can understand why Port fans have lost patience.

Then again the last 2 premiers have shown that by batting up regularly in the top4 as Port had done gives you a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back