Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

The season was completely mismanaged. Top priority was put on banking mid season wins, so as Kenny could get an extension.

Injured players like McKenzie, Lycett and Dixon were routinely wheeled out to try and nab a couple of extra wins. Then the wheels fell off.

The club would be happy though as the main objective of giving Stinkers an underserved extension was achieved.
Why did Hinkley tell his main mids to turn up for the dead rubber, and not bother for the big game?

Butters, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Wines

Round 22: 42 contested possessions, 24 clearances, 32 score involvements, 4 goals and 4 goal assists (430 Fantasy points

Semi Final: 25 contested possessions, 10 clearances, 20 score involvements, 1 goal and 0 goal assists (273 Fantasy points)

Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Ward

Round 22: 32 contested possessions, 13 clearances, 23 score involvements, 3 goals and 4 goal assists (339 fantasy points)

Semi Final: 47 contested possessions, 22 clearances, 33 score involvements, 3 goals and 3 goal assists (376 fantasy points)

Why did Hinkley tell his main mids to turn up for the dead rubber, and not bother for the big game?

Round 22: 42 contested possessions, 24 clearances, 32 score involvements, 4 goals and 4 goal assists (430 Fantasy points

Semi Final: 25 contested possessions, 10 clearances, 20 score involvements, 1 goal and 0 goal assists (273 Fantasy points)

Round 22: 32 contested possessions, 13 clearances, 23 score involvements, 3 goals and 4 goal assists (339 fantasy points)

Semi Final: 47 contested possessions, 22 clearances, 33 score involvements, 3 goals and 3 goal assists (376 fantasy points)

He told them how scary finals are.

Ken has always been known for being a fantastic motivator, it's his greatest strength as coach.
Not sure what's happened to him but he seems to have lost that ruthless edge.

Does anyone believe Port can win a premiership with Ken Hinkley as coach?
I remember when everyone had written off Hardwick and declared Richmond would never win a flag under him, but that was after seven years and Hinkley is in his 11th season as coach.
Mick Malthouse coached Collingwood for 10 seasons without silverware before breaking through in 2010.

I can't think of any other examples of a coach being at the helm of a club for a decade without silverware before bringing home the bacon.
Hinkley is in uncharted waters if Port fail to bring home the bacon this year.
Do you think Port can win a premiership under Hinkley?
Or do you think Port need a new coach and a breath of fresh air?
Yes he Ken LoL

Would have been interesting if Ken was told (behind closed doors) he was guaranteed a contract extension if they make at least a preliminary final...
It wasn't long ago when Port supporters thought Hinkley and Carr were superheroes, with a 14-2 record and sitting two games clear of Brisbane in third.
I'm sure Koch will mention this if he hasn't done so already, after he's done scapegoating the midfielders for not working hard enough for long enough.

It wasn't long ago when Port supporters thought Hinkley and Carr were superheroes, with a 14-2 record and sitting two games clear of Brisbane in third.
I'm sure Koch will mention this if he hasn't done so already, after he's done scapegoating the midfielders for not working hard enough for long enough.

Stop trolling please.

The "youse all thought ken was a superhero" is a direct quote soundbyte from 2018, when we were 11-4 and then missed finals.

I'll give you a hint: we thought he was s**t then and he's still s**t now.

Ken has always been known for being a fantastic motivator, it's his greatest strength as coach.
Not sure what's happened to him but he seems to have lost that ruthless edge.

Yes, he did a brilliant job motivating them for big games like the 2021 prelim, both showdowns this year, and both finals this year.

Hint: we got flogged in each of those games.

It's hard to remember an actual important game we didnt s**t our pants in, because Kenny his coached his loser mindset mental weakness into the entire playing group.

What a dumb statement that is anyway. Of course they exist to win flags, they're a footy club. Woolies exists to sell groceries.
So if you agree with it, why are you so upset that we actually state it? Why is it a dumb statement?

Your equivalent statement is dumb. “Woolworths exist to sell groceries“ is the equivalent to “Football Club exists to play football”.
A better equivalent would be “Woolworths exist to be the highest revenue supermarket in Australia”. Which isn’t stupid. Its probably in their mission statement.

The problem is, Koch and Ken don’t subscribe or aspire to premierships. Which is why they now need to go. But won’t.

Yes, he did a brilliant job motivating them for big games like the 2021 prelim, both showdowns this year, and both finals this year.

Hint: we got flogged in each of those games.

It's hard to remember an actual important game we didnt s**t our pants in, because Kenny his coached his loser mindset mental weakness into the entire playing group.
Interestingly expected scores only had Port losing to both sides in finals by two goals (very different to the 2021 prelim). And those two sides got within a goal of the premier. All this with a midfield group that massively underperformed.

Reason for optimism regarding 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I blame Josh Carr. I have been told he is the real coach.

Interestingly expected scores only had Port losing to both sides in finals by two goals (very different to the 2021 prelim). And those two sides got within a goal of the premier. All this with a midfield group that massively underperformed.

Reason for optimism regarding 2024.

There is no reason for optimism until Koch and ken at a minimum are gone.

David Koch IS Port and he has Kens back.

If Port fans truly want change then Koch is the one that needs to be removed thus paving the way for a coaching change.
Sounds about right...

Certain clubs at certain eras have the same CEO/ President and coach.

At Port, Its David Koch as President and Ken Hinkley as coach.

At freo from 2012-19, Steve Rosich was the dockers CEO and Ross Lyon was freos coach. Rosich was the bloke that appointed ross Lyon as Freo coach from memory.

One Ross Lyon left at the end of 2019, Rosich left too.

I blame Josh Carr. I have been told he is the real coach

Lot of Power supporters on the radio after the final's debacle wanting Carr as the Senior coach.

Which is interesting as Carr is the mid field coach and this is where they got absolutely smashed against GWS.

Seems he's been absolved from any blame.

I see Bassett has been let go.

Lot of Power supporters on the radio after the final's debacle wanting Carr as the Senior coach.

Which is interesting as Carr is the mid field coach and this is where they got absolutely smashed against GWS.

Seems he's been absolved from any blame.

I see Bassett has been let go.

The midfield is the only reason we finished top 4. Yeah they got smashed in the finals, but that's more a product of big Kenny psyching the entire team out telling them how scary it was. The entire side was absolutely flat as a tack, and looked petrified against GWS. It's the senior coaches responsibility to mentally prepare the side for the game. Kenny has done 3 pants shits in a row in the finals, because he infected the playing group with his loser mentality.

I'd prefer a completely new coach free of any Hinkley taint, but Carr would still be a 100000% better option than daddy donuts.

The midfield is the only reason we finished top 4. Yeah they got smashed in the finals, but that's more a product of big Kenny psyching the entire team out telling them how scary it was. The entire side was absolutely flat as a tack, and looked petrified against GWS. It's the senior coaches responsibility to mentally prepare the side for the game. Kenny has done 3 pants shits in a row in the finals, because he infected the playing group with his loser mentality.

I'd prefer a completely new coach free of any Hinkley taint, but Carr would still be a 100000% better option than daddy donuts.
Fair enough, can't argue with your points there.

Ken Hinkley has been treated so unfairly by port fans who think this is the SANFL. He literally rebuillt your club brick by brick and saved it from extinction.

Imagine GCS were this ungrateful.

Ken is one of the greatest minds and thinkers in all of afl.

The least you can do is let him leave on his own terms and give him respect.

This is really his first year with his own list. The last year's has been primuses list without cattle.

Some teams with die for a couple of prelims and coach of the years coach
I agree. 5 finals wins from 2013-21 isnt bad.

Hell some sides are badly run that they dont get 5 finals wins in 30 seasons.

Why are opposition supporters so defensive of Hinkley? It is so weird. Get that some Geelong supporters may have loved the old non premiership winning hand bagger from the 80s, but you don't see Port supporters fawning over the likes of Premiership playing coaches of other clubs like Dew, Hardwick or Kingsley. It's really strange behaviour.
Well Hinkley wasnt a Bad cats player from 1989-1995.

I Still think Hinkley is a solid coach.

FFS STFU. You have zero idea. 9 years before that we won the flag. 6 we played in a GF. We had a rough patch. Happens to all clubs. The tarps thing was just advertising space over empty seats in a s**t desolate stadium at our nadir. Most clubs have many empty seats/ stadiums when they are crap, many when they are good as well. Hinkley didn't save Port. Getting the * out of Football Park and the SANFL's clutches saved Port. Hinkley is an average coach with no GF appearances in a decade who's well and truly outstayed his welcome.
well that is your opinion...

I have No Doubt Port had a rought patch from 2008-12.

Tarps were advertising space over empty seats. But It looked horrible on tv.

Getting out of Footy park to move to Adelaide oval helped Port massively. You could say that played a key part in Saving your club.

When Port had Low crowds from 2008-12, The SANFL had little do to with Ports Problems. Yeah there were games where Port Struggle to get 20,000 people a game. But thats more likely with Port Struggling and the Port board being badly run.

Getting out of the SANFL clutches? Well debatable. In the SANFL Prior to 2000 when Port won 36 SANFL flags between 1870 to now or more specificially from 1884-1999. Port Branded themselves Port vs the Rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back