Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

*SANFL premierships

For a club that exists to win flags, they're not too good at it in the AFL

What a dumb statement that is anyway. Of course they exist to win flags, they're a footy club. Woolies exists to sell groceries.

And all the heat should be on their failed TV breakfast host chairman for re-appointing him (not just this year, but any of the times previously too.)

Kenny's obviously not up to and is just squeezing out his paypacket by this point. Blind Freddy could see it, but Kochie's too inept/soft to make the call.

I thought a good Seinfeld memory was pretty constructive.

I've said everything that needs to be said about Hinkley countless times. Use the search function if you are hanging out for my pearls of wisdom.
Finals 6/11 times

3* prelims, with two lost by under a goal. One of which probably would have won you the flag.

Took a disaster of a side to week 2 of finals in his first season.

Very few coaches take two generations of a football side to prelim finals. Hinkley is an amazing coach!

Last edited:

Finals 6/11 times

4 prelims, with two lost by under a goal. One of which probably would have won you the flag.

Took a disaster of a side to week 2 of finals in his first season.

Very few coaches take two generations of a football side to prelim finals. Hinkley is an amazing coach!

"Taking sides to prelims" isn't worth s**t. I think it's 3 btw, not 4.

Let him overcome his uselessness and take us to a GRANNY, and we'll talk.

You must be trolling.

"Taking sides to prelims" isn't worth s**t. I think it's 3 btw, not 4.

Let him overcome his uselessness and take us to a GRANNY, and we'll talk.

You must be trolling.
My bad it is 3.

He has a 60% win rate across 11 years at the club. That is so far above the curve its not even funny.

The only blunder in his prelims was against the dogs in 2021. The other losses were by a goal or under against dynasty teams.

All this without an incredible list. Where's the trolling?

North have quadruple Port's flags. Pipe down before I pipe up
4b6cee26f7aa40dd7ba6582bcfd2f94d.gif

My bad it is 3.

He has a 60% win rate across 11 years at the club. That is so far above the curve its not even funny.

The only blunder in his prelims was against the dogs in 2021. The other losses were by a goal or under against dynasty teams.

All this without an incredible list. Where's the trolling?

I'll leave it up to others to explain where you are wrong, I really cbf right now.

Now's not the time to be mean to uncle Kenny. He's just has his new contract.

Theres no point throwing water out the tub at the start of his contract

Port fans may find it hard but they need rally around ken for his first year.

Ken may even do the selfless thing and retire early avoiding a possible 15 year anniversary of his coaching career

From what i have seen from Port in the last 6 weeks, I would be genuinely surprised if they aren't bundled out of the finals in straight sets. And Ken is mostly to blame for Port stuttering into the finals.

Ding-ding-ding ✅

Did Port overachieve by finishing top 4 and did GWS underachieve by not? That's what last night looked like.

It was a quicker, more talented, more skilled side V one who was not.

There are issues with Port's pressure. GWS were not put under pressure, it looked structural. Port also looked as if they didn't have the run and the players with the quality to take the game on like GWS did.

I'm not sure if it's the coach or if the team is just not that good or a little bit of both.

I think Port are a good side with the game on their terms but when the opposition open them up they lack the defensive and physical aspects to compete and apply pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Port overachieve by finishing top 4 and did GWS underachieve by not? That's what last night looked like.

It was a quicker, more talented, more skilled side V one who was not.

There are issues with Port's pressure. GWS were not put under pressure, it looked structural. Port also looked as if they didn't have the run and the players with the quality to take the game on like GWS did.

I'm not sure if it's the coach or if the team is just not that good or a little bit of both.

I think Port are a good side with the game on their terms but when the opposition open them up they lack the defensive and physical aspects to compete and apply pressure.

The season was completely mismanaged. Top priority was put on banking mid season wins, so as Kenny could get an extension.

Injured players like McKenzie, Lycett and Dixon were routinely wheeled out to try and nab a couple of extra wins. Then the wheels fell off.

The club would be happy though as the main objective of giving Stinkers an underserved extension was achieved.

They were woeful last night. Destroyed in the middle, and had no chance of keeping up with GWS ball movement. GWS kept kicking to the wrong pocket for right footers in the 2nd - kicking 5.7 in a term - but they really should have put the game beyond doubt by then. I know Port had the shots in the last but it should have been 8-9 goals margin at half time, not 5.

Hogan monstered them. BZT isn’t the man to help.
Lycett, McKenzie & Dixon were all poor. Dixon had 1 big moment. But otherwise it was evident they were underdone. As much as his form has been average, Finlayson at least had some continuity in his game/form. Terrible selection to bring in to the game 3 hobbled players.

Their midfield got smashed but is at least young.

I had them bouncing back at home (had only lost to Pies & Crows @ AO this year), and winning nicely into a prelim. I rated GWS but thought Power at home are a different side. Completely taken apart. Although I guess if they had ground out a win the Pies would have hammered them so either way…

They butchered a top 2 opportunity. With 5 rounds to play they were 2 games clear of Brisbane. They should have been playing Brisbane at home last week really.

Cornes the flog says Beveridge needs the sack yet has taken the Dogs to a flag & GF.
Yet defends Hinkley being at the helm for 11 years with only 2 finals wins?

Hinkley gives Kane access and inside info. Kane is just protecting his sources 😆

I agree with the posters suggesting Hinkley is doing about as good as he can with this group.
They are mediocre on all 3 lines and down the spine from the small amounts I see of them. The fact they win enough during the season to get them to semis and prelims in the first place is an achievement in itself.

Cornes the flog says Beveridge needs the sack yet has taken the Dogs to a flag & GF.

I have backed Hinkley in the past. But given how many times he's been top 4 2 finals wins is an absolute joke.

Hinkley saved Kanes career back in his last couple of years. Kane has always been bias since then. Will never and has never said anything negative about Hinkley

The season was completely mismanaged. Top priority was put on banking mid season wins, so as Kenny could get an extension.

Injured players like McKenzie, Lycett and Dixon were routinely wheeled out to try and nab a couple of extra wins. Then the wheels fell off.

The club would be happy though as the main objective of giving Stinkers an underserved extension was achieved.
So probably overachieved finishing top 4? Should have managed players better and been happy to finish 8-5th. Hit finals fitter. Or do you think players were pushed harder due to lack of depth and pressure on the coach?

Carlton supporters are always bagging out our clubs medical staff for a long injury list. I keep saying it's been about pressure to win, pressure on the coach and lack of depth. Playing players when they shouldn't be playing because list has no depth and our coach sacking mentality.

Sounds like the same thing. Next season, Port has the pressure off the coach, builds a bit more depth and perhaps the problem goes away?

"Where's the pressure?"

They won 11 in a row and people in the media were still saying he shouldn't his contract renewed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back