Captain Kellaway

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Kellaway
3:42:24 PM Thu 19 February, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Andrew Kellaway will captain a Richmond side containing five new faces in tomorrow night's Wizard Cup opener against the Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome.

Former Bulldog Nathan Brown, ex-Crow Ben Marsh, Brisbane pair Shane Morrison and Luke Weller, along with 18-year-old, Tom Roach (son of Richmond goalkicking great Michael), will make their debuts for the Tigers.

In the absence of regular skipper Wayne Campbell and vice-captain Darren Gaspar, the 2000 Jack Dyer Medallist and All-Australian, Andy Kellaway, steps up from the playing leadership group to take over the captaincy reins.

"It’s a real honor," Kellaway said.

"Not many people get the opportunity to captain the Richmond Football Club and, although it's not in the season proper, it's certainly still an honor in the Wizard Cup."

Kellaway, 28, can't wait to lead the Tigers out on the field to do battle with the Bulldogs in the first official game of 2004.

"With several new players lining up for us, some young blokes coming through, 'Browny' against his old side . . . it all makes for a pretty exciting game," Kellaway said.

"Hopefully, I can celebrate the captaincy with a win -- that's the most important thing."

The Richmond Team

B: T. Zantuck, R. Hall, A. Kellaway
HB: M. Chaffey, L. Weller, A. Fiora
C: G. Tivendale, K. Johnson, T. Fleming
HF: C. Newman, B. Ottens, J. Blumfield
F: D. Rodan, S. Morrison, J. Schulz
R: G. Stafford, M. Coughlan, N. Brown
I/C: C. Hyde, A. Houlihan, K. Pettifer, T. Roach, B. Marsh, B. Nicholls

Cant believe that sum people think he is a hack. He is one of our best players and is courageous and is very very underrated. Congratulations andy on the captaincy but i woulda gone with johnno

Remove this Banner Ad

Back