Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very well-balanced article and one we have the answer to in respect to DVR, Foster & Smith.

Asked the same question here last week as those guys just aren't on the radar. Surprised anyone knows about them at all, actually.
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow is the most disappointing one for mine. Drafted top 30 and a strong chance to get delisted 2 years later without playing an AFL game.

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow is the most disappointing one for mine. Drafted top 30 and a strong chance to get delisted 2 years later without playing an AFL game.

Would be very disappointing given there were plenty of good players selected after him.
Maybe we just fell in love and couldn't let go.

One thing that does come back to bite over and again is when one selects a player from one background with the view of turning them into something else.
Would be very disappointed should we once again select a back-man with the view of making them a mid.....fails over-rule successes.

Tom Temay, Luke Mitchell, Patrick McCarthy and Cameron Giles played 2 games between them. Rowe was the last successful 2nd round pick.

*hears the faint sound of a 100 furious replies ready to remind us of all of our draft busts*

*dies a little inside*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Age reckon CFC should trade Jamison to GWS.
They talk of how GWS are undermanned down back.
He is contracted for next year so we would have upper and in theory.
But is he fit enough to go around again?
Maybe part of the GWS 4 deal?

That would be a surprise although stranger things have happened.

HUN reporting Swans maybe into Mason Wood.

AFL 2016: Carlton progressing but after drop off, still a way to go

Emma Q reviews the season and ponders end of season list changes.
Just read this and was a spot on read. Echos my sentiments of having dropped of over the past month and I havent seen anyone really be able to comment as to why. Besides Murhphy clientele is about the same and I honestly dont think we are that reliant upon Murphy. If we are, its a problem. The reality is we look flat and short of a step. Yes we might be heading in the right direction overall, but that doesnt change the fact that this needs to be addressed. We are no longer giving spirited performances.

Emma Quayle is spot on about our 2nd year draftees. Smith, Foster, Viojo-Rainbow - In a year where we should be trialing everyone, these guys have not seen any game time. Boekhorst has had a few games and been injured so he gets a pass, but the others are all gone. Mark Whiley doesnt seem to have enough going for him and Jaksch I am praying we get something out of him just so we get something out of that trade. Why is he still in the 2's? Seriously. Otherwise we have gone bust on Whiley, Jaksch and quite possibly Boekhorst (who is still unproven) when we could have had our choice of Wright, Ahern, Cockatoo, Ellis, Duggan, Weller or Lever. Physically makes me sick to my stomach.

*sigh* all we can hope for is another stellar trade/draft period and if we put together 2 good years in a row perhaps we have the foundation to build. God dammit.

Just read this and was a spot on read. Echos my sentiments of having dropped of over the past month and I havent seen anyone really be able to comment as to why. Besides Murhphy clientele is about the same and I honestly dont think we are that reliant upon Murphy. If we are, its a problem. The reality is we look flat and short of a step. Yes we might be heading in the right direction overall, but that doesnt change the fact that this needs to be addressed. We are no longer giving spirited performances.

Emma Quayle is spot on about our 2nd year draftees. Smith, Foster, Viojo-Rainbow - In a year where we should be trialing everyone, these guys have not seen any game time. Boekhorst has had a few games and been injured so he gets a pass, but the others are all gone. Mark Whiley doesnt seem to have enough going for him and Jaksch I am praying we get something out of him just so we get something out of that trade. Why is he still in the 2's? Seriously. Otherwise we have gone bust on Whiley, Jaksch and quite possibly Boekhorst (who is still unproven) when we could have had our choice of Wright, Ahern, Cockatoo, Ellis, Duggan, Weller or Lever. Physically makes me sick to my stomach.

*sigh* all we can hope for is another stellar trade/draft period and if we put together 2 good years in a row perhaps we have the foundation to build. God dammit.

I am not saying Murphy is the issue, but I will say in regards to your comment, it is not so much we rely on him but moreso when he is out the dominoes fall - Gibbs gets tagged and he isn't used to that, and then it falls to Cripps and then it falls away badly after that.

And the flow on effect isn't just isolated to the midfield. As the midfield suffers, the forwards suffer, as the delivery is poorer.

I think Murphy out has had a significant impact as it has exposed a fragile midfield core, but he isn't the only reason. I would imagine the players are tiring - Weitering is a kid, Sumner has had no pre seasons, Kas and Kreuz had injuries, etc.

Thomas has fallen of badly. Not sure why.

Etc etc.

Read this too.
I dont see too much 'upper hand' in it - more like "could we convince someone to takeover his contract?"
They almost chose to overlook the fact that his shoulders have been shot for yonks

I am not saying Murphy is the issue, but I will say in regards to your comment, it is not so much we rely on him but moreso when he is out the dominoes fall - Gibbs gets tagged and he isn't used to that, and then it falls to Cripps and then it falls away badly after that.

And the flow on effect isn't just isolated to the midfield. As the midfield suffers, the forwards suffer, as the delivery is poorer.

I think Murphy out has had a significant impact as it has exposed a fragile midfield core, but he isn't the only reason. I would imagine the players are tiring - Weitering is a kid, Sumner has had no pre seasons, Kas and Kreuz had injuries, etc.

Thomas has fallen of badly. Not sure why.

Etc etc.
They all had a week break. If fatigue was the factor they'd have overcome that after the break. They looked flat the game prior to the break and every subsequent week following.

If losing Murphy causes that much of an issue then God help us because we are a long way off. Gibbs, Cripps and Thomas should be enough quality on paper to cause teams problems. Curnows still out there doing his thing.

I think the problem is deeper than it being Murphy or fatigue. Confidence and energy is low. Fumbles are up. We know whats possible cas we saw it before the break. Its not there now. I wanna know what the problem is.

Watching Sydney and Hawthorn tonight, if that's where we want to be then we are a long way off. With the amount of teams in the comp, the advantages that top sides have in regards to players wanting to be there and the way the draft is setup, it's a bloody long road! Either they change the draft or we have to be crazy good with our drafting and trading to get there any time soon.

They all had a week break. If fatigue was the factor they'd have overcome that after the break. They looked flat the game prior to the break and every subsequent week following.

If losing Murphy causes that much of an issue then God help us because we are a long way off. Gibbs, Cripps and Thomas should be enough quality on paper to cause teams problems. Curnows still out there doing his thing.

I think the problem is deeper than it being Murphy or fatigue. Confidence and energy is low. Fumbles are up. We know whats possible cas we saw it before the break. Its not there now. I wanna know what the problem is.

Simple. We played to a level that was not only above expectations but for where our list is at unable to be replicated over the course of a full season. Injuries and some players having one foot out the door exacerbates the weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back