Carlton looking for a Key Position Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton.... tall defender..... hmmm.... What would you offer for Silvagni? Clearly a rookie selection is too much for you.

Seriously, you'd want to be asking questions of your recruiting staff wouldn't you? I'm not saying he will be All Australian, and he may not be "gorilla" enough for what seems to be being asked for here, but he is clearly a very handy, tall defender. At the moment he is best as 3rd tall, but seems to have the capacity to progress to a KP when required. If/when Tarrant or Grover go he will step into that role.

Spangher's trade value is rock bottom and he is probably going to walk out anyway, we could get him for a fourth rounder which we weren't going to use anyway, but as you said you probably aren't going to use it.

P.S. only one rookie upgrade counts for total list turnover, you still have to use two ND selections according to league rules. Not sure if you had taken that into account

We've had an in depth discussion over on the Eagles board.

Most liklely we will only use picks 4, 26, 28 possibly 44 and PSD pick #1.

We either elevate Stevenson as a 3rd year rookie or lose him and most likely will want to elevate Hams and Strijk.

Sullivan is a rookie already elevated and this doesn't take into consideration any picks we trade in.

Hence we think any trades out will be coupled with picks for a pick upgrade no matter how small as we won't even use our later picks.

The Dogs have two Key backs that can't get a game with Lake, Williams, Morris and Everitt in front of them;

Jarrod Boumann - 20 yrs old, 196cm and 85kg - Really athletic, but can question his skills and intensity, but is young.

Lukas Markovic - 23 yrs old, 193cm and 94kg, mature age draft pick last year. Opposite of Bouman, really intense, good skills, strong but is slow.

Of the 2, Boumann would work at the Blues, Dogs would want a third round pick I would say.

You obviously havent seen mutch of Boumann. I would question his intensity but not his skills. would take boumann instead of markovic

How about James Sellar? Can play key position forward or back. Good size 196cm 100kg, 21 years old, good agility.

Surplus to our needs.

Sellar for Jacobs.

How about James Sellar? Can play key position forward or back. Good size 196cm 100kg, 21 years old, good agility.

Surplus to our needs.

Sellar for Jacobs.
are you talking about the same Sellar that was described by another crows supporter as

Sellar is no guarantee to make it at AFL level. At the moment he only gets a game for us when injuries force our hand and even then it's as a back up ruckman who doesn't get a lot of game time. I'd like to see him given a chance, just leave him in the team for 6 weeks or so regardless of form in the one position (probably key defender is where I think he is best suited, maybe as a utility who can play forward and ruck as well) and see what he can do. One thing you always get with Jimmy is he will always put his head over the ball, he is pretty mobile for his size too. Took a couple of nice contested marks in the forwardline for us a couple of weeks back, unreliable kick though.

Basically I would think Jim's trade value is pretty close to nothing but at worst he is a handy depth player who can play multiple positions.

If so... why not... we'll throw in a first rounder and maybe a Chrissy Yarran as a sweetner... deal?

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned...and I know the Blues don't typically deal with Collingwood....

But how about Jack Anthony? Has played full back all year at VFL and played a few good games at AFL level in defence.

He is probably not tall enough to play on monster forwards, but his real trait as a defender is strength one on one and closing speed. Also has nice skills and has been setting up a lot of play off the backline.

Would this interest??? I'm hoping we retain Jack because I want the depth...but I'm looking to shop him around if a decent offer is on the table.

are you talking about the same Sellar that was described by another crows supporter as

Sellar is no guarantee to make it at AFL level. At the moment he only gets a game for us when injuries force our hand and even then it's as a back up ruckman who doesn't get a lot of game time. I'd like to see him given a chance, just leave him in the team for 6 weeks or so regardless of form in the one position (probably key defender is where I think he is best suited, maybe as a utility who can play forward and ruck as well) and see what he can do. One thing you always get with Jimmy is he will always put his head over the ball, he is pretty mobile for his size too. Took a couple of nice contested marks in the forwardline for us a couple of weeks back, unreliable kick though.

Basically I would think Jim's trade value is pretty close to nothing but at worst he is a handy depth player who can play multiple positions.

If so... why not... we'll throw in a first rounder and maybe a Chrissy Yarran as a sweetner... deal?

Gees some of you Carlton supporters are so out of your depth. Why do you reckon he said that? How is Sellar expected to play forward ahead of Walker and Tippett? How is Sellar expected to play back in front of Rutten, Davis, and previously Bock?

The reason being, Sellar is surplus to our needs. We have great young KP depth both forward and back. He does a good job as a mobile 2nd ruck but for Carlton he'd be required in KP.

So let's apply the same reasoning to Jacobs. He is older than Sellar and has only played 1 more game than Sellar. Gees Jacobs must be an absolute spud because he cant regularly force his way into Carlton's best 22.

C'mon mate. Think about it. You have to take into account the clubs strengths and weaknesses. At your club he barely gets a game and at our club he'd possibly be 1st ruck.

Sellar can't get a gig in our side as KPP but I'm confident he'd be very valuable for Carlton. I was simply looking for a win win for both clubs. Both clubs have needs but have more than enough in other areas. Perfect trade. ;)

Jim Bob is begging for some continuity.

It's unfortunate for him we're stacked at either end with 'more natural' forwards and backs.

He needs to be thrown at CHF or CHB and stuck there. He'll have no problem rucking the F50 or D50 either and at the least, will give a big body and throw it around.

When he came back from injury this year he was thrown forward late one game and snagged a goal, pulled down a couple of marks.

I really like him, he's an AFL quality player, but one not as good as Tippett, Walker, Rutten or Davis.

HE's worked very hard on his tank and it's now up to quality, alowing more of an up field CHF role, but he also looks at home in the F%0. He'd be great depth for us because he can play anywhere, but with Shean McKErnan and James Craig being similar heights, with better leaps, his 2nd ruck spot isn't going to be around for ages and we're settled in KPP stakes.

I'd love to see him get an opportunity, would have liked it to be with us, may still be, but he'd slide into your team and give you a big target or a good link defender. He helps with in traffic hands really well.

Gees some of you Carlton supporters are so out of your depth. Why do you reckon he said that? How is Sellar expected to play forward ahead of Walker and Tippett? How is Sellar expected to play back in front of Rutten, Davis, and previously Bock?

The reason being, Sellar is surplus to our needs. We have great young KP depth both forward and back. He does a good job as a mobile 2nd ruck but for Carlton he'd be required in KP.

So let's apply the same reasoning to Jacobs. He is older than Sellar and has only played 1 more game than Sellar. Gees Jacobs must be an absolute spud because he cant regularly force his way into Carlton's best 22.

C'mon mate. Think about it. You have to take into account the clubs strengths and weaknesses. At your club he barely gets a game and at our club he'd possibly be 1st ruck.

Sellar can't get a gig in our side as KPP but I'm confident he'd be very valuable for Carlton. I was simply looking for a win win for both clubs. Both clubs have needs but have more than enough in other areas. Perfect trade. ;)
There is one MMMMMAAAJJJJJOOOORRRRR difference... one is guaranteed to not only play seniors... but become your number 1 ruck and be one of the league's best... the only thing the other is guaranteed is he won't get delisted in his first year... you do know the difference between actual output vs "believe me, why would we lie"...

Considering as you say it... Sellar is your 20th best KPP prospect... could you see how somehow "we won't be improving our list" by this trade???

I am sure you rate everyone of your KPPs ahead of anyone of ours... including Sellar... but you see.. I think we need to catch up to the mighty Adelaide crows... not go for a player that is 20th in line for a game... for this reason, I appreciate your charity... but I have a feeling Jacobs may be alittle more use for us...

It is seriously amazing how a team full of hacks that are continually worth less than the bottom team's seconds players... somehow finished above those teams... how oh how I wish we had the WCE, Port Adelaide and Adelaide's list to atleast compete with their league...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. I haven't seen enough of Sellar to make further comment though.

I really like him, he's an AFL quality player, but one not as good as Tippett, Walker, Rutten or Davis.
Borderline IMHO.
Could come out & impress...eventually, but has been given chances & hasn't taken any of them yet.
Passed by Tippett then Walker & now Davis who have all taken their chacnes.

He's not in your best line-up, and IMHO he's getting further away from it by the year.

How about Ryan Murphy?.... hey, don't laugh, he was drafted as a backman but turned into a FF by South Fremantle. Seriously, we'll take anything: a player, a draft pick, a half-eaten ham sandwich.

C'mon guys, he's going to be delisted if no one takes him. He's like a puppy at the pound who's going to be put down if no one gives him a home. We promise he won't hump your leg...

Ratten has recently stated in interviews that Carlton is looking for a KPD in this years trade week:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741381

So who is available and what would the price be?

Personally I think that we would be looking at either a young Victorian gun looking to come home (really like Jackson Trengove) or an experienced solid defender to help some of the younger players develop (Matthew Warnock?)

Blues would be looking for a mature key defender such as Tarrant.

Another young skinny defender isn't going to help.

Sellar is shithouse. The reason he can't get a game isn't because other players are better, it's because he's a spud. Don't get sucked in, Carlton supporters.

This.

Sellar is slow and useless. He is too slow and has no agility for KP, and is not tall enough for ruck.

In a season or 2 he will be delisted.

Sellar is shithouse. The reason he can't get a game isn't because other players are better, it's because he's a spud. Don't get sucked in, Carlton supporters.

Hopefully they wont. The last one of Gibbsy'a mates that the club picked isn't working out (MA) and this will end up being worse! :eek:

How about Ryan Murphy?.... hey, don't laugh, he was drafted as a backman but turned into a FF by South Fremantle. Seriously, we'll take anything: a player, a draft pick, a half-eaten ham sandwich.

C'mon guys, he's going to be delisted if no one takes him. He's like a puppy at the pound who's going to be put down if no one gives him a home. We promise he won't hump your leg...

Tell me more about this sandwich. Multigrain? Mustard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back