Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue isn’t whether the player is concussed though is it? It’s either a sling tackle or it’s not?

Let’s hope nothing comes of it. Rayner was the last to get suspended but was the player concussed - can’t recall?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
bro relax. it was worth a free kick no more

Was paid a dangerous tackle free kick against Stewart in I think the first quarter.

Brisbane player took the kick and played out the game. Wasn't even assessed for a concussion.

Should stay as a free kick and that's it.
Just looked like another example of the Umps' post-Prestia vendetta against Stewart.

Just on the Guthrie tap ons- so many of the team were doing that stuff- they were so in sync - it’s beautiful to watch. Was actually lovely to be able to sit back, reasonably relaxed and appreciate the artistry of the team as the game wore on.
This sort of game is exactly what they needed. Get back into the ominous form that they had in the last few rounds.

Doesn’t matter the team we play - the MCG suit us beautifully. We make that ground very wide and spread opposition teams to one on one situations where they get punished.

Swans will not like to play us at the MCG.‘

Their pressure rating is heralded - but really it is a phone box footy that is built for a phonebox sized ground.

Last edited:
In summary, it's basically

"We don't care about Geelong....and we're going to write 20 pages of posts to prove to you how much we don't care!"
Geelong is living rent free in their heads 😹

I agree with Cam and last night Blicavs was back to his absolute best with that stuff too. Oh and Tuohy. He was everywhere.

But the man that comes to mind in that area who I've never seen anyone bring up is Mitch Duncan, in this defensive winger/attacking half back flanker role. He's been great at getting the tap on or the forward handball, or even a spoil/defensive effort to launch our momentum. Lots of unheralded but fully committed and effective work. His late career finals have been heart and soul, much better than during his peak years in fact.
When I rewatched the Cats/Pies match there were some big contests that were genuine 50/50 that might have lead to Pies goals, and he just body lined the ball turning a 50/50 into our possession, all from reading the play and making a run at the best time. He had one missed kick to Guthrie last night on the wing where he tried to bite off too much, other than that his kicking has been elite.

Wouldn't mind the Pies getting up, simply because a Geelong-Collingwood grand final would raise the salt mining on the Richmond board to levels never seen before.
1663387769031.gif

This sort of game is exactly what they needed. Get back into the ominous form that they had in the last few rounds.

Doesn’t matter the team we play - the MCG suit us beautifully. We make that ground very wide and spread opposition teams to one on one situations where they get punished.

Swans will not like you on play us at night ye MCG.‘

Their pressure rating is heralded - but really it is a phone box footy that is built for a phonebox sized ground.
Exactly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t read the thread yet, and let me say this. I’ve been dosed up to the eyeballs. Can’t believe I’m still covid negative. I’m rooted. So my observations could be wrong.

1/ the last quarter was painful. No good could come from it.
2/ gee Holmes looks built for finals footy. No dear in the headlights there.

3/ we were so bloody confident last night. I haven’t seen us play like that for 14 years.
4/ sent a text in the 2nd quarter. ‘Game is over and so is the flag.

5/ I didn’t think Hawkins played great but he should have kicked 7. Strange.
6/ boy ‘o’ boy can we run.

7/ 8 to go.

I said we needed to show why we have been the best side all year and we easily ticked one box off last night, there is another to go next Saturday.

Ruthless really. The tone was set early and I must admit when Paddy slotted that first set shot I did think it was going to be our night!

I just love the eveness of the side. It really has been the hallmark of us this year, not standouts, every man playing their role. For example, two weeks ago it was Tom quiet, while Jez was close to BOG and Chuck not far behind. Last night Jez and Chuck were a little quiet and Tom influential in the result, even if the yips returned briefly in that second quarter.

We've all got sick of the constant, albeit accurate, analysis that the job was left to too few in the past, that thankfully has been resigned to the history books, this group has become the ultimate team, not as skilled as some of our great ones, but as a collective group they are outstanding. The running in support, the little flick ons, they are on the same page and it is beautiful to watch.

- PFD looked like a man on a mission from the start. Another 4 quarters like that and he might be getting that premiership medal.

- Gryan. Just outstanding. The work rate, the creativity, the impact.

- Kolo. Never been a fan, but that was quite possibly his best game for the club. Rock solid.

- Tyson. Deadset took the piss with his finishing last night.

Can't wait to watch the replay. We've primed ourselves all year for this, we haven't lost for four months, they look ready and they'll need to be, but bring on next week!

Holmes is officially rated the best wingman in the AFL over the last 2 months.
He has now become a match-winner, crucial to our attacking system.
Will be a huge loss assuming he doesn’t get up. We should still have the cattle but to think he’d be such a pivotal part of our new attacking system at the start of the season would have been almost laughed at.

AFL Captains back in March.

Which other club is most likely to reach the Grand Final?

6 – Melbourne
5 – Brisbane
3 – Western Bulldogs
2 – Richmond
2 – Port Adelaide

I’ll put my hand up best game I’ve seen him play, having said that a pressure GF might be something else altogether but this will have given him a lot of confidence.

Have a feeling Holmes will get up. If not Parfitt comes in at the coalface fresh and is a tackling machine.

Hoping they smash into each other this afternoon.

Ball movement was next level last night at times, and the fact our bottom end Stanley, Zuthrie, Kolo had cracking games gives me plenty of hope for next week.
Agreed. My thoughts were, "no great loss" if he didn't get up for the match. I still have memories of him spudding it up on many occasions on the big stage.

His game last night was absolutely fantastic. Probably the best game I've ever seen him play as well. Producd the same next week and it'll go a long way towards holding that cup aloft.

Just got a call from someone suggesting that Stewart has / will be cited for a sling tackle.

Anyone recall the incident?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
In Q1? Free kick to Lions. No injury to player, who remained playing all game + no concussion test. Still, no surprise if he’s sanctioned 🙄

AFL Captains back in March.

Which other club is most likely to reach the Grand Final?

6 – Melbourne
5 – Brisbane
3 – Western Bulldogs
2 – Richmond
2 – Port Adelaide
Shows not even the players have a ******* clue before the season starts.

Those tap ons were a thing of beauty in terms of moving the ball forward. They were our version of chaos ball, but not chaotic in that for the most part they were directed to other players in better position, rather than keep the ball moving at all cost and if we have to shut it down then we'll take it to a ball up.
The Smith one leading up to the Stengle goal. Bruce McAvaney would have had to use adjectives beyond a Cyril level "special"!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back