Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

But fix it how? With who?

We obviously have Danger to come back in, which will help enormously, but he's only one man, and very prone to injury now.

I agree our options are limited given no mid year trades.

But at least put holmes to inside mid
moc or humphries in the backline if you need to facilitate that.
Mullin as your defensive mid.
Mannagh on the wing (or put mannagh inside 50 and miers on the wing if thats how they want it) as we need better ball use i50.
Get rid of guthrie until hes fit and put hardie in there.
That would be a start at least.

A full time midfielder averaging 60% game time before last night. Maybe that has something to do with the slightly low possession average.
I know this is something tactical and it obviously worked in 2022 with an older midfield.

But I’d love to see our young midfielders get more time in the guts, see how they go. Easy for established players to go in and have an impact but Bruhn and Holmes might benefit from the consistency of full games in there.

Conspiracy theorist in me, but I found it interesting that Mackie and Chris Scott sat next to each other for the game. Unusual for the list development manager to sit next to the coach? I don’t recall seeing that before.

Either we are making a big play for a quality Suns player (very possibly one of their mids) or we are making decisions on our list based on last night’s performance. Possibly both.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He is averaging less than 18 touches per game this year as a full time midfielder. How is that solid?
He was awful last night and injured in the Melbourne game. Was going at 20 touches a game from 60-65% game time before that. If we had all 6 or 7 midfielders going at that rate we would be fine. We have 3 or 4 who are consistently hitting the 10-16 mark. Blicavs, Guthrie, Atkins and Parfitt over the past month as a collective have been truly dire.

If anything the last 3 weeks have showed what happens when Bruhn is missing or playing badly. You were oddly quiet before that.

Not for the first time this year, our "poor" midfield won the clearances, centre clearances, and contested ball.

It's what we do with it the clinches that is a problem, as well as what we don't do when the opposition has it.

Suns had far too much easy uncontested possession. The won the turnover game, which is how we normally try to win.

Conspiracy theorist in me, but I found it interesting that Mackie and Chris Scott sat next to each other for the game. Unusual for the list development manager to sit next to the coach? I don’t recall seeing that before.

Either we are making a big play for a quality Suns player (very possibly one of their mids) or we are making decisions on our list based on last night’s performance. Possibly both.

Rowell and Anderson will be Cats next season.

Not for the first time this year, our "poor" midfield won the clearances, centre clearances, and contested ball.

It's what we do with it the clinches that is a problem, as well as what we don't do when the opposition has it.

Suns had far too much easy uncontested possession. The won the turnover game, which is how we normally try to win.
We are actually winning more clearances the last 3 weeks than the 7 weeks before (I believe). But the quality of our clearances has dramatically declined while the opposition's has sky rocketed. Our tackles and pressuring has reverted from terrific to dreadful. Defensive running on the spread and from stoppages has stalled. And our defenders have gone from top 4 to bottom 4 level, seemingly overnight.

Which all goes to show that simple clearance and contested possession numbers don't tell the full story when assessing midfields. It's score differential from clearances, and score involvement differential from midfielders, that count.

very unpopular opinion, but I wish Tom had hung up his boots at the end of 2023 on a high. We wouldn't have been 7-0, but at least our team would have got used to the forward setup by now. Can anyone show me where a mid was actually looking for Neale last night? His poor showing wasn't all on him.
Well the seven times we kicked it to him in open space. He marked two and dropped five.

Well the seven times we kicked it to him in open space. He marked two and dropped five.
He had 2 more than Stewart... who had ZERO marks and dropped 7.
Excellent!! lol.
Seriously i see what u r getting at but we had plenty of folk dropping sitters last night.

He had 2 more than Stewart... who had ZERO marks and dropped 7.
Excellent!! lol.
Seriously i see what u r getting at but we had plenty of folk dropping sitters last night.
Oh for sure. I did actually take Neale getting into free positions as a positive, better than not getting near it.

Stewart had his worst ever game as a Cat. J.Henry wasn't far behind. Even Zuthrie? Just one of those games, I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With C Guthrie and Atkins both out of form, I think only one can stay in the side next week, and whoever it is should play at half back.

Holmes and Mullin in the middle for some speed and excitement.

Mannagh in for someone, don’t care who.

Would like to see Humphries soon but v Richmond seems a more likely debut than GWS.

Wish we had used MOC more in a negating role over the past three weeks given the midfields we’ve come up against. Josh Kelly will be missing next week and he’s the most obvious GWS mid to tag, I don’t think Tom Green is taggable and I don’t know if Coniglio does enough damage to warrant a tag. Hmmmmm.

With C Guthrie and Atkins both out of form, I think only one can stay in the side next week, and whoever it is should play at half back.

Holmes and Mullin in the middle for some speed and excitement.

Mannagh in for someone, don’t care who.

Would like to see Humphries soon but v Richmond seems a more likely debut than GWS.

Wish we had used MOC more in a negating role over the past three weeks given the midfields we’ve come up against. Josh Kelly will be missing next week and he’s the most obvious GWS mid to tag, I don’t think Tom Green is taggable and I don’t know if Coniglio does enough damage to warrant a tag. Hmmmmm.
Something like?

FB: O'Sullivan SDK Z.Guthrie
HB: Duncan Kolo Stewart
C: Dempsey Bruhn Blicavs
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: Stengle Neale O.Henry
FOL: Conway Mullin Holmes
IC: Bowes Mannagh Parfitt O'Connor Atkins(sub)

Bowes more on the outside as a wingman. O'Connor tagging or small defender. Mannagh a forward rotation. Parfitt the defensive/contested mid rotation.

Oh for sure. I did actually take Neale getting into free positions as a positive, better than not getting near it.

Stewart had his worst ever game as a Cat. J.Henry wasn't far behind. Even Zuthrie? Just one of those games, I guess.
Yeah it seems we see the same thing.
Stewart has been very average indeed. He can't handle the negative tag very well.
Looks frustrated and his influence which we need has been sorely missed.
Jack looks like he has been concussed for the past 2 weeks TBH... in a daze sometimes.
Worrying signs as i thought he was our key in the back 6.

Yep- really like him.
Although I guess should have seen it all coming when he kicked back in the goalsquare for their first goal. Sheesh.

Rite of Passage mistake - the good players only make that mistake once or twice in their careers.

Conway's was almost comical; Darren Milburn in a final less so. Dasher never made that same mistake again in his long career, not that I recall.

Anyway;

It’s also about individual performances and John Howorth (17) put in arguably the most disgraceful one sided efforts I think I’ve seen. I’d love to get a breakdown of his free kick count.
Yes, you can say it didn’t make a difference, but that’s an excuse in itself to look past the incompetence of some of the umpires.

I wrote a bit of a rant in relation to the umpires last night but ultimately scrapped it - glad to see the validation of other supporters who were just as disgusted as I was.

The 1st half in particular was disgraceful, completely one-sided and inconsistent.

Gold Coast have some genuine class players in Rowell, Anderson, Humphrey and Flanders, they don’t need gifts from the maggots.

There’s at least half a dozen shockers I could pinpoint, but what is the point?

As a separate (but still relevant) observation, Chris Scott was bang-on when he called out the current state of the HTB interpretation - last night was ridiculous. The umpires did at least call most of these consistently, but when a player is getting wrapped up and turned 360 degrees in a tackle only to eventually drop the ball on to their boot for a glancing 3-metre ‘kick’ you begin to wonder what is the point of even having tackling as a feature of our game.

Last edited:

He’s not development manager anymore
He’s football general manager
It was odd though yeah

I’d love Scotty to stop playing the umps always right card and let these maggots have it in the presser. Cop the fine, cop the bullshit “please explain🤣” and just say what we are all feeling. Yes we were gonna lose this regardless cos our midfield is worse than a VFL side but that first qtr was pure corruption
They weren’t flash, however the AFL needs to adjust the holding the ball rule with the tackling techniques they’ve decreed with their ruling on what’s reportable.

In the first quarter we had 4-5 occasions where we couldn’t take the player with the ball to ground, hence the umpire ruled they weren’t tackled sufficiently for it to be holding the ball.

It’s stupid.

They weren’t flash, however the AFL needs to adjust the holding the ball rule with the tackling techniques they’ve decreed with their ruling on what’s reportable.

In the first quarter we had 4-5 occasions where we couldn’t take the player with the ball to ground, hence the umpire ruled they weren’t tackled sufficiently for it to be holding the ball.

It’s stupid.
Yet was it Blicavs who had the ball tapped out of his possession and that was deemed HTB?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back