Prediction CEY 2017, make or break, will he make it?

Will CEY make it?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The opportunity awaits. I am confident he will try everything he can to make sure he becomes an integral part of our best 22. Has some real xfactor when he is fully confident. This has to be his year though.

Hmm, I'll have a crack at a big call here, I'll go with not only will he make it, we'll all be surprised by how well he goes in his first full season, playing in midfield, regular mid to high 20's disposals, providing some good marking power and spoiling around the ground, getting forward of the play and delivering into the forward line well or even dobbing a few himself, maybe a dozen or so goals for the year, plus doing that weird moving in unexpected ways thing that he does where he somehow backs, sidesteps and moves forward out of trouble, just when you'd expect any other player to move into trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised if CEY has a Lyons type year if he gets a chance at some stage. Was perfectly OK at half forward with limited minutes in his 2 games last year and his run og games under Walsh was fine too. I'm not convinced that there's a big opportunity outside of injury though. M Crouch was headed to the 2's after his week off and Lyons never got a great deal of midfield time, so I'm nit convinced there's a full time gig to replace in there, even if Thommo is in the 2's.

Hmm, I'll have a crack at a big call here, I'll go with not only will he make it, we'll all be surprised by how well he goes in his first full season, playing in midfield, regular mid to high 20's disposals, providing some good marking power and spoiling around the ground, getting forward of the play and delivering into the forward line well or even dobbing a few himself, maybe a dozen or so goals for the year, plus doing that weird moving in unexpected ways thing that he does where he somehow backs, sidesteps and moves forward out of trouble, just when you'd expect any other player to move into trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised if CEY has a Lyons type year if he gets a chance at some stage. Was perfectly OK at half forward with limited minutes in his 2 games last year and his run og games under Walsh was fine too. I'm not convinced that there's a big opportunity outside of injury though. M Crouch was headed to the 2's after his week off and Lyons never got a great deal of midfield time, so I'm nit convinced there's a full time gig to replace in there, even if Thommo is in the 2's.
I do agree these are possible, and we did see this in limited time last year.

Like most I think he has all the attributes , I just question his inner fire. I do hope I am wrong but I will repeat my earlier comment.

:thumbsdown:

This is the big question for us. I think CEY might make it in our midfield this year. Would he make it in Sydney's, Geelongs, West Coast?
If we rely on Sloane as our elite and hope Brouch gets close to that level we still need more A grade mids.
Does he have A grade potential?

This is the big question for us. I think CEY might make it in our midfield this year. Would he make it in Sydney's, Geelongs, West Coast?
If we rely on Sloane as our elite and hope Brouch gets close to that level we still need more A grade mids.
Does he have A grade potential?
That's an excellent question .....my answer would be no

TBH Cey had a fantastic year in the scheme of things last year, he was talked up massively in his SANFL performances becoming a pre Magarey fav he did everything right that he could possibly have done. He was very very unlucky that we used the least amount of players we have ever done in a season of football due to a fantastic injury run.

Timing is everything, he may be unlucky again this year, but I doubt it, he just needs to continue on with what he did last year

TBH Cey had a fantastic year in the scheme of things last year, he was talked up massively in his SANFL performances becoming a pre Magarey fav he did everything right that he could possibly have done. He was very very unlucky that we used the least amount of players we have ever done in a season of football due to a fantastic injury run.

Timing is everything, he may be unlucky again this year, but I doubt it, he just needs to continue on with what he did last year

I don't get to see much SANFL and when I do I find that players tend to look a bit slow. But his work at AFL level has always been fine, it's just a matter of opportunity, which he's had little of. Definitely a big chance for a Lyons repeat.

I just don't see it happening for CEY. He will likely play some good matches throughout the year but won't set the world on fire and will be trade bait come EOY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still grinds my gears that one. He was our second best midfielder last year behind only Sloane who won our BnF and it took Thommo being a late withdrawal for him to get back in the team. Sometimes I wonder if the coaches get so distracted by their little KPIs and training form that they don't see the forest for the trees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see it happening for CEY. He will likely play some good matches throughout the year but won't set the world on fire and will be trade bait come EOY.

That may happen if he turns out to be another JL. I think he's got a slightly higher ceiling than JL. He'll never be a star but if he can contribute 20+ possessions a game I have a feeling they'll be more valuable than what Thommo's 20 odd were in the later part of last year.

That may happen if he turns out to be another JL. I think he's got a slightly higher ceiling than JL. He'll never be a star but if he can contribute 20+ possessions a game I have a feeling they'll be more valuable than what Thommo's 20 odd were in the later part of last year.

Yep have him in the same bucket as JL. Still think Thommo has more to offer even if he were playing 50% game time.

Higher than JL? Based on what? There's nothing in either player's history to indicate that this is the case.

Higher than JL? Based on what? There's nothing in either player's history to indicate that this is the case.
Well we'll have to wait and see I suppose. He should at least be given the same opportunities that JL was granted last year.

If he hasn't made it by now, 5 years into his career he wont make it.
This is an obvious conclusion to reach .....the fact that in year two of their careers Lever has carved a successful career and growing reputation, and Milera is nominated for a break-out year and star status, just emphasis's the truth in your statement

Well we'll have to wait and see I suppose. He should at least be given the same opportunities that JL was granted last year.
Why should he be "given" opportunities, if his past performance history doesn't justify it?

If he's good enough, then he should (and will) be given opportunities. If he's not, then he shouldn't (and won't). To date, he hasn't.

JL was given opportunities because, limited as he was, he was still the best option we had. I am far from convinced that CEY is the best option we have in 2017.

Yep have him in the same bucket as JL. Still think Thommo has more to offer even if he were playing 50% game time.

After round 6 Thommo averaged 21 touches from high 70% TOG, providing very, very little outside of stoppage work and no ability to run defensively in general play. Thommo doesn't have more to offer from 50% TOG, maybe a couple of games here and there, but certainly not over the course of a full season. He continues to look a magnificent specimen, but he's clearly struggled to get across the ground as the season wears him down and he his first movement is much slower and less agile than it was. In horse racing parlance, he'll be ok if we can keep him fresh, but a couple of extra breaks didn't do it last year and I highly doubt the bodily situation will improve with another full year in it.

Can't have players you regularly only utilise 50% of the time, as would put to much pressure on other midfielders with rotations.

Better off playing Thommo mainly in th SANFL where he can do his job of working with young midfielders & give him the odd game in the AFL, where he will be fresh to give it his all.

Why should he be "given" opportunities, if his past performance history doesn't justify it?

If he's good enough, then he should (and will) be given opportunities. If he's not, then he shouldn't (and won't). To date, he hasn't.

JL was given opportunities because, limited as he was, he was still the best option we had. I am far from convinced that CEY is the best option we have in 2017
Lyons still provided better output than CEY would have last season ....and yet we still were willing to trade Lyons, so what does that say about CEY's future ??

From my limited viewing of training .....Hampton,& Knight would be in front of CEY for a midfield role

Back