Changes for Round 6 v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I think part of that problem will fix itself in 2021 as I don't expect Kennedy to play on after this year and if thats the case, then Oscar slots straight into the FF position.
Leaving Snake to play as one half forward, Waterman will never be a genuine KPF, but that doesn't mean he cant pinch hit there, if needed from time to time.
Brander I agree is not a wingman, but he can play as a high roaming half forward.

He does have the potential do develop into a KPF, but thats going to take a few more years for him to hone his craft and build up his body.

The fly in the ointment for Brander going forward, is that Bailey Williams, being more physically mature, may leap frog him in the pecking order.
Williams also has the dual role treat to assist his inclusion in the team, as he is a genuine ruck option to cover for when NN warms the pine.
Williams is also a very handy KPP prospect in his own right.

I really don't like seeing Oscar playing in the ruck, as to me its fraught with danger, with the kid being smashed around and beaten up to an extent that it damages his body in the future.

So just where Brander eventually plays is going to an interesting and intriguing watch.
Very high on Williams, I think he's going to be an absolute star.
Agree on Allen, he needs to be a permanent forward right now and never leave the side again. He'll lead our goalkicking next year.

Out: Shuey, Jones.
In: Cameron/Petch, Jetta

Either of Cameron or Petch can come in for Jones. I would like to see Cameron if fit.

Jetta goes back as a defensive wingman, Redden pushes up more for a clearance winning role.

Alternatively. Kelly pushed forward onto a roaming HFF position that could see him in space. Not the best kick of the ball but can hit the goals and can win a ground ball better than most in the team. In this case,

As for the Brander chat. He will be a good player and letting him go would suck. There are some pretty good signs there and he will make it as a forward eventually.

As time goes on I just can’t shake the feeling that Brander is Brent Staker mk 2.0. Big athletic lad who can play anywhere but hasn’t really settled in any spot, also seen (rightly or wrongly) as a bit contact-shy.

Hope like hell I’m wrong

As time goes on I just can’t shake the feeling that Brander is Brent Staker mk 2.0. Big athletic lad who can play anywhere but hasn’t really settled in any spot, also seen (rightly or wrongly) as a bit contact-shy.

Hope like hell I’m wrong
Seems like most of those types end up most likely carving out a career in the backline if anything. Should get Schofield to mentor him

Well that has made my day shame about Jones, a forward line with Jones, Ryan, Cameron and Cripps looks good

In Cameron, XON
Out Shuey and JJ

Backs: Duggan Barrass Cole
HB: Shep Gov Hurn
C Gaff Kelly Redden
HF Waterman JD Cripps
FF Cameron JK Ryan
Followers Nic Nat, Yeo, Sheed.
Int Achee, Allen, Nelson and XON

Brander did really well for a patch last week when he played back of centre and had some great intercept marks.

Could he fulfil a role similar to Schofield, a third tall down back, starting on the interchange bench and rotating with Gov and Barass?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brander did really well for a patch last week when he played back of centre and had some great intercept marks.

Could he fulfil a role similar to Schofield, a third tall down back, starting on the interchange bench and rotating with Gov and Barass?

No his kicking is way too inconsistent to play back .
Needs to play forward where your mistakes are less costly

No his kicking is way too inconsistent to play back .
Needs to play forward where your mistakes are less costly

Nothing unusual about poor decision making by foot when you’ve not played a lot of AFL football.

Better user than Schofield and Mackenzie at the same age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only West Coast would take a highly rated KPP and try and turn them into a wingman.

Brander stays out til replaces a KPD or KPF.

Lets play one of our midfielders in the middle (Shocking I know).

This makes sense, as others have suggested. Brander seems brave in marking contests. Perhaps, he projects as a McIntosh or Hunter with an ability to throw him forward. He could replace Hurn, who is an undersized third tall down back, but he won't bring that next level kicking. If he fits into the future back 7 (Bunga, Jets retired) with McG, Barrass and Shep, then the onus will be on the other three smalls to bring drive. We could be in the market for creative half back flankers again (not putting a line through Duggan, Cole, Nelson, Watson, Johnson et al.) but metres gained will be a crucial measure. I think Brander might have to bide his time and his chances this year will depend on injury as he is kept out either end by Kennedy and Hurn. I want him to succeed for us but at the moment (puts on moneyball hat), his selection does seem surplus to requirements, particularly as Rotham cost less and could also fulfil that third tall role, not to mention what Kelly eventually cost. Tldr I'm glad Brander is in blue and gold and I think it will all work out in the end but currently our next gen list is unbalanced (too many young talls, not enough smalls).

Cole hasn't played midfield. Neither has Duggan it's more likely that Nelson gets swapped for Jetta if they bring him back. Ainsworth is the only mid who is a realistic swap.

Duggo looked really good further up the ground against the Swans, playing almost as a midfielder, pressing high. I think he's ready for midfield minutes, myself.
Was impressed with his game!

Finally got to watch the game uninterrupted.

Out: Shuey (inj), Jones (inj)
In: Jetta, Cameron

Backline worked like a dream on the weekend so I’m loathe to change it up, but the midfield worked so much better once we have the correct number on the field, not one extra. Can’t do a like for like with Shuey as there aren’t any and it would imbalance things again.

Barring bringing in Brander in to move Redden inside, which I am not keen to do given what that means for the numbers, I figure get the experience and potential damage of Jetta in. Cameron for Jones is a no brainer.

It will be interesting to see what angle the MC plays with Shuey out. The obvious play is Reddog takes the lions share of those inside minutes. Adelaide still have a bunch of strong bodies to throw at the contest, even if they aren't clicking that well at present.

I think I was one of the few who rated Redden's game on Saturday. After his report he didn't go back inside his shell, he brought his strengths to the table. Strong physical pressure, a bit of niggle and ran hard. He was deep in defence helping out a bunch. Hopefully a corner has been turned.

Out: Shuey (inj), Jones (inj)

In: Cameron/Petch, XOn/Brayshaw

I don't think it matters too much which way the MC goes as long as they avoid the temptation to try and shoehorn Brander back in. I would be pretty happy to see either of O'Neil or Brayshaw get a run. I'm remain hopeful that Brayshaw can make up for his foot-speed with a good footy brain and i think XO' just looks likely - he's one of the few kids we've drafted who looks like he is actually hitting the gym.

Like Cameron for Jones if fit. Perfect swap (and I think Cameron is best 22).

Also like the idea of taking the opportunity to use this 'easy' match to get another young player into the mix.

But ... if none of that is happening what about Jetta for Jones? Let Cole, Duggan, Nelson, Rotham and Watson fight over the HBF-BP spots. Jetta could play forward for the remainder of his career and/or until Rioli is available again. Just a thought?

Like Cameron for Jones if fit. Perfect swap (and I think Cameron is best 22).

Also like the idea of taking the opportunity to use this 'easy' match to get another young player into the mix.

But ... if none of that is happening what about Jetta for Jones? Let Cole, Duggan, Nelson, Rotham and Watson fight over the HBF-BP spots. Jetta could play forward for the remainder of his career and/or until Rioli is available again. Just a thought?
Jetta's defensive pressure isn't good enough to play forward, :think: uh what!!

Brander should be trade bait at the end of the year. I still think he will be a good player but he is surplus for us. I was worried about Allen when we got him due to his height but he seems to have grown a bit and with Waterman and Williams to add to Darling we should be fine for forwards.

Its possible he could be a defender but Barrass and Gov wont be going anywhere for at least a couple of years. Third tall seems a bit of a waste.

Terrible year to trade Brander unless another player is involved.

We won't get anything better than a 2nd rounder and in this draft that will end up being a 3rd rounder........for the guy we drafted instead of Kelly!

I know it shouldn't be looked at like that.

Melbourne need another kp forward. Happy to trade for say Rivers plus a future 2nd and include a future 3rd with Brander.

Nothing unusual about poor decision making by foot when you’ve not played a lot of AFL football.

Better user than Schofield and Mackenzie at the same age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brander has kicked it out on the full every game this season usually under no pressure that is not poor decision making just poor kicking

Can't fault you on the emac call but I can't remember schoey being anywhere near as bad .

The difference with emac was we were in a rebuilding phase so you can forgive sloppy newbies as in the context of the season it doesn't really matter .

We are supposed to be contending and brander in not our best option for that wing position.

I think part of that problem will fix itself in 2021 as I don't expect Kennedy to play on after this year and if thats the case, then Oscar slots straight into the FF position.
Leaving Snake to play as one half forward, Waterman will never be a genuine KPF, but that doesn't mean he cant pinch hit there, if needed from time to time.
Brander I agree is not a wingman, but he can play as a high roaming half forward.

He does have the potential do develop into a KPF, but thats going to take a few more years for him to hone his craft and build up his body.

The fly in the ointment for Brander going forward, is that Bailey Williams, being more physically mature, may leap frog him in the pecking order.
Williams also has the dual role treat to assist his inclusion in the team, as he is a genuine ruck option to cover for when NN warms the pine.
Williams is also a very handy KPP prospect in his own right.

I really don't like seeing Oscar playing in the ruck, as to me its fraught with danger, with the kid being smashed around and beaten up to an extent that it damages his body in the future.

So just where Brander eventually plays is going to an interesting and intriguing watch.

So 2021 forward line.

Williams Allen Ryan
Brander Darling Waterman???

Woosha would be proud.

I am joking though as two of those would be on the bench not all playing on the ground at the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back