Preview Changes / Pre-game Discussion for Rd 9 (Dons in Vic)

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Essendon have dropped Cox (rested) and brought back Zaharakis. Guelfi in Stringer out - as per the injury sub replacement in their previous game against GWS.

FreoMatt

All Australian
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very strange selection policy picking only 5 Backman but 6 small forwards (Henry, Shultz, Switkowski, Crapden, Walters, Colyer). Jlo must be very confident our midfield will destroy Essendon so the ball is permanently in our forward line.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I actually put myself through the misery of the Brisbane vs Freo game replay today and Blakely absolutely killed it. He actually goes hard at the contest, that pass to Fyfe in the forward 50 was scintillating.

How he loses his spot over Crowden is absolutely criminal.

Anyway Conca is just being managed.

These changes are a tad weak and conservative. Needed Blakely in starting 22 and bring Treacy back in for structure.

Less confident of a win now.
How blakely isn’t in the team is bewildering.

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very strange selection policy

Been pretty strange all season.

We seem to only be able to win when our midfield is in complete control. Problem is that our midfield isn't that great as soon as any decent team turns up the pressure.

Forward line apart from tabs only looks good with lots of entries and the defense a shambles , even more so since Hughes/Ryan went down.

Last edited:

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Blakely was good last week, granted. At the end of the day he was the last mid added (not replacing another mid either) and you’ve got Cerra coming back. It is hard to fit Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Cerra, Brayshaw and Serong all through the same midfield.

The obvious solution is Fyfe goes forward ... but until you can trust his goal kicking more - he has to spend most his time on ball.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Longmuir hates Blakely. A blind msn can see that. He only ever gets a game (a) when the injury list is so long there is literally no one else or (b) as the medical sub after an inevitable early injury.
If he’d come in last week and had 40 touches longmuir would still not have picked him ahead of Tucker this week.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Longmuir hates Blakely. A blind msn can see that. He only ever gets a game (a) when the injury list is so long there is literally no one else or (b) as the medical sub after an inevitable early injury.
If he’d come in last week and had 40 touches longmuir would still not have picked him ahead of Tucker this week.
I'd say hate is a a very strong word in this situation. He doesn't hate him but he's definitely not J-Lo's preferred option.

oldgoat

All Australian
May 22, 2017
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey...
Time to review the "bilind man" and "blind Freddy " references?
Its silly.
Blind folk are not stupid.
Im tryin not to be preachy, think about it.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Hey...
Time to review the "bilind man" and "blind Freddy " references?
Its silly.
Blind folk are not stupid.
Im tryin not to be preachy, think about it.
They're not stupid, but they can't see....

Do you get it now?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Crowden should replace Conca in the role of lock down small defender. Switta effectively replaces him in the forwardline so he’s not required there, he has the pace, his kicking is safe enough in the event that he gets it, and is very solid defensively.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Crowden should replace Conca in the role of lock down small defender. Switta effectively replaces him in the forwardline so he’s not required there, he has the pace, his kicking is safe enough in the event that he gets it, and is very solid defensively.
Crowden isn't tall enough. He'll have trouble spoiling high marks I think.

Danny82

All Australian
May 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very strange selection policy picking only 5 Backman but 6 small forwards (Henry, Shultz, Switkowski, Crapden, Walters, Colyer). Jlo must be very confident our midfield will destroy Essendon so the ball is permanently in our forward line.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Basically every game this year there has been a strange selections resulting in a very unbalanced team. Midfield has to completely dominate to even be competitive and off set how much essondon will score again our junk back line and small forward line where they will run a muck with intercept marks

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Basically every game this year there has been a strange selections resulting in a very unbalanced team. Midfield has to completely dominate to even be competitive and off set how much essondon will score again our junk back line and small forward line where they will run a muck with intercept marks
Selection isn't easy to understand right now. Would love to get an insight into Match Committee decision making

Back