Preview Changes/Preview – Round 17 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem with Harmes, and Spargo in his one VFL game, and Jordon is they absolutely tear it up at VFL level.

But it doesn’t translate at AFL level.

Whether that’s because of the quality gap between VFL and AFL, or playing different onfield roles VFL vs. AFL I’m not quite sure. Probably a bit of both.

Harmes tries rubbish that he won’t get away with at AFL level like fend offs so that’s a bit of a false economy when he has a big VFL game.

But what I do know is Spargo and Bowey were recruited knowing they weren’t right athletically for AFL but could use the ball and make smart decisions. Ditto Laurie.

Ball use and decision making are the problem. Play the players recruited to be a counter to the problem.

Part of the problem with Harmes, and Spargo in his one VFL game, and Jordon is they absolutely tear it up at VFL level.

But it doesn’t translate at AFL level.

Whether that’s because of the quality gap between VFL and AFL, or playing different onfield roles VFL vs. AFL I’m not quite sure. Probably a bit of both.

Harmes tries rubbish that he won’t get away with at AFL level like fend offs so that’s a bit of a false economy when he has a big VFL game.

But what I do know is Spargo and Bowey were recruited knowing they weren’t right athletically for AFL but could use the ball and make smart decisions. Ditto Laurie.

Ball use and decision making are the problem. Play the players recruited to be a counter to the problem.
JJ gets the sub most weeks. They either need to trust him to play best 22 or leave him at Casey. Surely he's better than Harmes and Melksham? Possibly even Sparrow also. I don't think Hunter has been bad at all, but did we need him when we have this bloke on the list who really could have done just as well as Hunter. Did we need to go get Grundy when we could have got Meek for nothing and chased a half decent forward? Our list management has been poor I reckon and costly at a time when our list was ready.

I'd rather Jordon get Sparrows minutes if we're being picky, Sparrow is just a nothing player and Jordon at least offers something defensively at stoppages.

Agree we should be playing more guys who can kick the bloody thing - its another reason I want Kozzy getting his CBAs up, he can actually kick really well.

I'd rather Jordon get Sparrows minutes if we're being picky, Sparrow is just a nothing player and Jordon at least offers something defensively at stoppages.

Agree we should be playing more guys who can kick the bloody thing - its another reason I want Kozzy getting his CBAs up, he can actually kick really well.

Jordon is just too slow, which will be magnified at Marvel. No thanks.

Our only 2 goal kickers over 20 goals - Fritsch who is now out for the rest of the season and Pickett who has been missing onfield for the last 5 weeks.
Better hope BBB can start drawing some more free kicks and Trac can start kicking straight 🤣
Drop this game and the slide out of the 8 begins.

I don't think Kozzy is missing out on midfield minutes because of injury.

I think Simon says, 'We'll be really clever here. We'll play a slow, defensive game for most of the season, grind out wins, get tons of learnings and then, when no-one is looking, we'll pull the tarp off to reveal our true selves, just in time for the finals. Then we'll run over the top of everyone. No-one in the media will see it coming and they will declare me a genius.'

Late August... Simon pulls off the tarp to reveal a broken, battered and demoralised heap of 'the players formerly known as good'. They stumble into the finals, only to be knocked out by St. Kilda because they the only thing they can remember is how to kick long bombs down the line. No-one in the media sees it coming and they declare Ross Lyon a genius.
I think he used this plan last year.

Our only 2 goal kickers over 20 goals - Fritsch who is now out for the rest of the season and Pickett who has been missing onfield for the last 5 weeks.
Better hope BBB can start drawing some more free kicks and Trac can start kicking straight 🤣
Drop this game and the slide out of the 8 begins.
Happy to completely write the season off if we lose this one. Saints are terrible like us. Will be a shocking game to watch. But whoever loses this one is most likely going to not play finals.

Happy to give Brown another chance under the roof, JVR for Fritch.
Smith to play more of Tmac role and play up the ground.
Harmes (his tackle efforts were horrible on Sunday, prob not the only one) for Oliver
Grundy out for Tommo, Max to solo ruck

No choice but to play Petty forward and Tomlinson down back.

In - Tomlinson, Jordon, Van Rooyen, Melksham
Out - Smith, Harmes, Neal-Bullen, Fritsch,

FB - Judd McVee, Steven May, Adam Tomlinson

HB - Christian Salem, Jake Lever, Trent Rivers

C - Lachie Hunter, Jack Viney, Ed Langdon

HF - Kade Chandler, Harrison Petty, Jake Melksham

F - Kozzy Pickett, Ben Brown, Jacob Van Rooyen

FOL - Max Gawn, Christian Petracca, Tom Sparrow

IC - Brodie Grundy, Angus Brayshaw, Jake Bowey, James Jordon

SUB - Joel Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tank GIF

Christ what is with the desperation to get him back? Geelong send Paddy off on a mini pre season to get him right for last year and we just keep making him run once a week to see if he can make it

The ironic thing is we are wayyyyy up in clearance differential without him. -2 against Freo every other game we’ve won the count comfortably. He’s a champion player but I don’t think him coming back in fixes many of our issues?

The ironic thing is we are wayyyyy up in clearance differential without him. -2 against Freo every other game we’ve won the count comfortably. He’s a champion player but I don’t think him coming back in fixes many of our issues?
At least it'll fix the issue of us being forced to watch Brayshaw at centre bounces.

What's our scores from clearance numbers like though? I would suggest Clarry is better at creating opportunity from clearances than Harmes, Jordon, Sparrow etc...

Selwyn drifting into Misso areas. Probably would be good if he got blokes off legs for a bit so they actually recover.
Think it's more like the opposite. Selwyn won't bring him back until he's worked his training up into a sprint (up to 4 weeks), the infection set him back to square one. My guess is the issue is Goodwin and Clarry not wanting to do the full rehab before coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back