Preview Changes: R7 vs St Kilda - Monday 20/7 @ 7pm Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yeh, the fabled 4 walls where inside everything is brilliant. Doesn't matter that our senior leaders have presided over a toxic culture and led us to looking like having the first winless season in decades. I'd be questioning whatever it is that we value inside those 4 walls.

I'm in no way saying things are great. I'm not blind. I'm saying that despite form currently, I have no doubt Sloane is a great captain.

If you have played footy, you know how a leader can impact the team. These blokes like talia, walker and even guys like mckay would still be leading the way for a young guy.

I'm torn with the whole playing injured thing. Sometimes a player like Sloane who has been a selfless servant of our club for many years would feel alot of responsibility to pull on the guernsey and run out with them to battle each week. I actually put more of the blame on the coaches for not taking that decision away from the player.

There were a couple of 50/50 balls in the second half against Freo that he lost...and to be fair they were probably 60/40 balls and he was pushed off it far too easily. I reckon that is why he was dropped last week. Sure it hasn't hampered Mookay being pushed off the ball, giving turnstile tackles etc but when I saw it I was pretty annoyed that he didn't even come close to halving, let alone winning one of those two contests; it killed all hope of us getting a run on in the last quarter.

Hmm. Might be indicative of that too good for SANFL/not good enough for AFL standard. I’d still like him to get a longer run in the guts

OUT: Sloane(inj), Hartigan(om), Mackay(om)
IN: Schoenberg, Butts, Sholl

Done.

FB: Sholl - Butts - Brown
HB: Doedee - Talia - Laird
C: Hamill - Jones - Smith
HF: Lynch - McAsey - McHenry
FF: Stengle - Frampton - McAdam
FOLL: ROB - BCrouch - Schoenberg

INT: McPherson, Keays, Kelly, Mcrouch

OUT: Sloane, Kelly, Mackay
IN: Walker, Schoenberg, Atkins

FB: McPherson - Hartigan - Doedee
HB: Hamill - Talia - Laird
C: Atkins - Jones - Smith
FF: Stengle - Walker - McAdam

INT: Keays, Mcrouch, Frampton, Brown

Don't mind this. Keeps us blooding players and balances our overcrowded backline.
OUT: Sloane, Kelly, Mackay
IN: Walker, Schoenberg, Atkins

FB: McPherson - Hartigan - Doedee
HB: Hamill - Talia - Laird
C: Atkins - Jones - Smith
FF: Stengle - Walker - McAdam

INT: Keays, Mcrouch, Frampton, Brown

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Poholke only really has that sort of versatility in the SANFL where he's capable of kicking 2 or 3 in a game. He's not an effective forward in the AFL though. Might kick a goal every now and then but not enough to make it worthwhile.
I'd much prefer Poholke up forward over Crouch though that's my point. You don't need him to be a gun forward, only someone who is capable to go in there when needed. He could easily go in there for short periods and hold his own. He has a nice overhead mark and can kick a goal when needed.

Out: McAsey, Frampton, McAdam, Sloane, McHenry
In: Walker, Atkins, Gibbs, Murphy, Seedsman

B Brown - Talia - Laird
HB Mackay - Kelly - Gibbs
C Atkins - Keays - Smith
HF Hamill - Walker - McPherson
F Lynch - Hartigan - Jones
R O'Brien - M. Crouch - B. Crouch

I Stengle - Seedsman - Doedee - Murphy

Perfection. This team will rock the AFL with its pure unbeatable experience

Gotta be honest, I’m pulling for McHenry to start to improve pretty soon. Doesn’t have to be a ‘break through game’ or anything, but certainly hoping to see a step up.

Think 6 weeks is enough time to pick up the speed of the contest and start seeing some more quality touches, and a few less errors.

Watch "Matthew Clarke Presser July 14" on YouTube

Hardly a decent question asked. Learnt nothing other than Clarke values the ball winner over the tackler and the club will get experience back in the moment they can hit the training track. Panicking big time now.

He's from the Neil Craig era - would you expect anything less than 10 minutes of nonsense?

Gotta be honest, I’m pulling for McHenry to start to improve pretty soon. Doesn’t have to be a ‘break through game’ or anything, but certainly hoping to see a step up.

Think 6 weeks is enough time to pick up the speed of the contest and start seeing some more quality touches, and a few less errors.

I don't know how much improvement is possible being primarily a small forward in this side. He's having one or two quality moment a game at least.

I don't know how much improvement is possible being primarily a small forward in this side. He's having one or two quality moment a game at least.
I think this follows the same discussion we had last night.

Such is the gaping cavity that is our midfield and midfield depth, we desperately need all hands on deck in terms of auditioning for a spot in the rotation.

Im hopeful Ned and Hamill will both find a way to push up into the mid rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this follows the same discussion we had last night.

Such is the gaping cavity that is our midfield and midfield depth, we desperately need all hands on deck in terms of auditioning for a spot in the rotation.

Im hopeful Ned and Hamill will both find a way to push up into the mid rotation.

Pretty much, since giving away Greenwood/CEY that midfield has been a mess. Personally, I'd be fast tracking O'Connor just to fill that bigger midfielder role.

I've been genuinely surprised at how sparingly we've used Ned in the middle so far. Nowhere near the finished product but someone who is a bit of a pest and has a bit of energy in there could make a world of difference to what is a stagnant top line. It does seem like Nicks, Gooden and co. do lack a bit of dare and creativity with their selections though, or get sucked into reputation/experience.

Hamill is probably a couple of seasons away before he'll even be in a position to push into the midfield. Probably not the worst thing at the moment to just let him feast on some easy ball in the backlines.

Last edited:

Some of you seem to have extremely high expectations on first or second year draftees, not everyone is a Rowell. Even Noah Anderson isn’t exactly setting the world alight just yet.

IMO the biggest drop off in form by far has been Rory Laird.

Was at one time touted as a future Brownlow Medallist.
What the hell has happened to him?

IMO the biggest drop off in form by far has been Rory Laird.

Was at one time touted as a future Brownlow Medallist.
What the hell has happened to him?

Yeah, Rory is really a different player to what he was in 2018.

Hard to say, it could be a style switch. It could be that teams know he's not flash defensively and try to play through him. It could simply be that as a club we're not working hard enough and that's exposing weaker kicks in the team, which Rory is. It could also be he's gone into a self survival mode in the last few years. After all, a lot of the desperation that typified early Rory is gone.

Pretty much, since giving away Greenwood/CEY that midfield has been a mess. Personally, I'd be fast tracking O'Connor just to fill that bigger midfielder role.

I've been genuinely surprised at how sparingly we've used Ned in the middle so far. Nowhere near the finished product but someone who is a bit of a pest and has a bit of energy in there could make a world of difference to what is a stagnant top line. It does seem like Nicks, Gooden and co. do lack a bit of dare and creativity with their selections though, or get sucked into reputation/experience.

Hamill is probably a couple of seasons away before he'll even be in a position to push into the midfield. Probably not the worst thing at the moment to just let him feast on some easy ball in the backlines.

there's some weird philosophy that Nicks and the club has that prefers a wingman like Seedsman in there ahead of sharing those minutes with junior midfielders.

Think the biggest change for him was the 6 6 6... given we used to play 8 6 4... He would be free to do what he wants... Now he is accountable
We've been over this before. 6 6 6 makes him accountable for the first 30 seconds after each centre bounce. Given how low scoring most games have been (particularly ours), that rule affects him for all of 6-7 minutes in a 2 hour game. It's barely relevant.

Some of you seem to have extremely high expectations on first or second year draftees, not everyone is a Rowell. Even Noah Anderson isn’t exactly setting the world alight just yet.
Wow, I really don’t think I was asking for that much. Just a positive step forward

I’m not looking for much more, a bit cleaner, a bit more ball in space. Just some positive signs that’s he’s picking up the pace of it and learning the correct running patterns required.

I’m not expecting a BOG performance

Agree regarding Hamill. He’s having a purple patch and could even snag a NAB rising star nod one of these weeks if he continues playing with this trajectory.

I’d like to see a few spells on the wing from time to time, but other then that let him grow into that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back